ebay debt collectors - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 12-01-2011

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 72%
Default ebay debt collectors

i have 2 stealth accounts, both in debt. they have both been pased on to debt collectors. 'iqor recovery' (even if the accounts were in my real name i would not pay)

but anyway, i have just phoned the debt collectors, about one of the stealth accounts. they have just said that if i dont pay the debt it they will take legal procedings! the account is £500 in debt. i told her i will not pay as ebay is not a bank. she said no but paypal are (that makes me laugh everytime)

anyway as the person does not exist i dont think there is much they can do.

i told her ebay has not done any credit checks to see who i am, so how on earth do they know if i am real or not? the woman i spoke to told me ebay is a genuine auction site and people giving ⊗⊗⊗⊗ names just does not happen.

anyone else had experiance with debt collectors from ebay on stealth accounts?

what can they do?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-01-2011

Longevity: 74%

lol I bet you tried not to laugh when they said ebay doesn't have stealth people on there :D

I don't think they can do diddly squat about it. They will go to the address registered with nothing. But maybe they can get your IP and find you? idk

Hopefully more experienced members will give you their opinion.
Old 12-01-2011
Threadstarter  

im interested to know whether or not they can come back at you with the bank account used. the thing what gets me is that there is no credit check. so if there is no credit check they have no idea if this person exists or not. a 14 year old can open a account in a random name, rack up some debt and ebay think the 14 year old is liable to pay?

it seems like a scare tactic if you ask me. since ebay did not do a credit check on that name do ebay really have the rights to claim that money back?

every company who you can obtain debt with will do a credit check. whether its a phone bill or gas bill. i really do think its just a scare tatic. making you think you will go to court if you dont pay, so you end up paying. but how can you be made to pay if no credit check was done?
Old 12-01-2011

Longevity: 75%

You're all barking up the wrong tree.

If you are truly stealth they cannot do anything. They cannot find out who you are from your bank account.

Credit checks is nothing whatsoever to do with it.

You're free and clear

Why do you take Ebays services if you have no intention of paying for them? Why not start your own auction site and then you wont owe Ebay money will you?

I don't know what you sell but if people took your items and didn't pay the bill you would be rightly hacked off - I guess Ebay should just say 'He seems like a nice chap we'll just forget it'

Bah - what a way to run a business
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GrannyT For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (12-02-2011), pod (12-01-2011), Sandy D (12-02-2011), SUVE (12-02-2011)
Old 12-01-2011
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyT View Post

Bah - what a way to run a business
Without knowing the circumstances, I will say stealth is not meant to screw them out of fees. As more and more people do that, we have to start sending in DNA samples just to get accounts.

Again, I dont know why you owe money so I wont judge. But people that screw them over just because they can is why its so hard to stay alive....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pod For This Useful Post:
GTB (12-02-2011), Stigger (12-01-2011), SUVE (12-02-2011)
Old 12-01-2011
Threadstarter  

i owe money for 2 reason. first a buyer screwed me over. ebay wanted money back for something a buyer broke! not a chance so i ditched the account! second one was just fees i couldnt pay, due to family problems.

i just find it crazy that ebay think they can scare people with debt collectors!
when i dont think they would stand a chance in court!
Old 12-02-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

I get a small amount of buyers who obviously are stealth! I see their messed up address or they do not put door number and then pm it to me.

Or worse still hope the package will just get there with name and road....I feel like saying dont worry I know you are stealth, me too, and as long as you pay me I dont care!!!

seriously though, people who run away on fees, make it worse for everyone else, lot of turn and burners out there, and it is deliberate.

If you got paid for the goods then you should pay fees. People think if they got scammed or did not receive the money but sent out the goods and then get NARU they should not pay fees, I can understand that point of view though

Last edited by oompaloompa; 12-02-2011 at 04:24 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to oompaloompa For This Useful Post:
SUVE (12-02-2011)
Old 12-02-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by join now View Post
i owe money for 2 reason. first a buyer screwed me over. ebay wanted money back for something a buyer broke! not a chance so i ditched the account! second one was just fees i couldnt pay, due to family problems.

i just find it crazy that ebay think they can scare people with debt collectors!
when i dont think they would stand a chance in court!
In their T&S, it is implied they have the right to recover funds.

Take that in any manner you like.

They have covered themselves within UK law as to what they can do.

Operate in future with that in mind
SUVE (12-02-2011)
Old 12-02-2011

Longevity: 73%

Anyone can hire a debt collection firm for any reason at any time. The only thing ebay can't do is harm your credit report since the don't have a ssn or anything to harm your credit with. They can file a civil suit against you in court and obtain a judgement however who are they going to serve a judgement on if you don't exist.
Old 12-02-2011
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

Just so people will know.

If you are stealth and have a bank account attached and you owe large fees etc. all it takes is a judge to ok the release of your records for them to come after you.

If a judge gets involved they can follow the money right to you. If you have a bank account etc attached.

So pay your fees.

Ebay collectors IC Systems and NCO will do this if the money is right.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy D For This Useful Post:
SUVE (12-02-2011)
Old 12-02-2011
MU

Longevity: 81%

I owed 4k about a a few years ago with ebay and paypal. All they did was send debt collectors after me and wrote in credit check. This was on a friends account I used. Its all cleared now. If you owed 100k then probably they would do something big about it like a judge.
Old 12-02-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

^^so your friends real details got a credit check back mark? so how come they did not recover fees then if they could do the mark?
Old 12-02-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:

This was on a friends account I used. Its all cleared now.
So your friend's credit score took a beating?!?
Old 12-02-2011

Longevity: 78%

Wondering the same tihng.
Old 12-02-2011
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FandangoKango View Post
I owed 4k about a a few years ago with ebay and paypal. All they did was send debt collectors after me and wrote in credit check. This was on a friends account I used. Its all cleared now. If you owed 100k then probably they would do something big about it like a judge.
This is EXACTLY why no one here should ever use a friends or families information.

People get sued by collectors for a lot less then 4k and it normally ends up in a courtroom if they do.

What does all cleared mean? It remains on a credit report for 7 years even if you paid it for him/her.

When you said credit check do you mean an inquiry or did they add a negative tradeline to the account.

I also dont think it would take 100k to get a judge to sign off on obtaining bank records.

NCO is known for suing people and taking them to court for less 2k. They have their own attorneys in their office to do so.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy D For This Useful Post:
SUVE (12-02-2011)
Old 12-02-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Very sketch with your story Fandango but I won't go further since the OP is the poster of the thread.
Old 12-02-2011
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Start adding in my opinion when you make these basically stupid and inaccurate statements will you?

Yet again wrong info being supplied by you.
Old 12-02-2011
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pod View Post
Without knowing the circumstances, I will say stealth is not meant to screw them out of fees. As more and more people do that, we have to start sending in DNA samples just to get accounts.

Again, I dont know why you owe money so I wont judge. But people that screw them over just because they can is why its so hard to stay alive....
I totally agree 110% with this statement, you will only get ebays back up & get them to spend their resources on way of tightening the system even more for everyone else, that would not be good for anyone at all.

Quote:
but anyway, i have just phoned the debt collectors, about one of the stealth accounts. they have just said that if i dont pay the debt it they will take legal procedings!
If your accounts are totally stealth, there really was no need to engage ebay/paypal on this further ??? ,not sure what you hoped to achieve by phoning the debt collectors given that you have NO intention to pay this debt ??? They will only escalate your case, you are tempting fate here. They CAN do a number of things, wiki debt collection agencies & then be aware of the various FRAUD laws & their deviations. Bear in mind that in the UK, your agreement with Paypal will come under the CONSUMER CREDIT ACT irrespective of your perception of Paypal/ebay doing their due diligence on you, governed by the FSA.

Quote:
i told her ebay has not done any credit checks to see who i am, so how on earth do they know if i am real or not?
All you are doing here is inviting ebay/paypal to investigate your accounts/recheck your ID details further & possibly bring to their attention of a flaw in their system & possibly open yourself up to a criminal investigation if they passed this onto the local police under the pretext of some sort of 'fraud' suspicion to fall on your account .....is that what you really want ??? You are pointing them in the right direction as to where their investigation into you should start.

If you are unhappy with a transaction with ebay/paypal, raise that & say due to that you will not clear your debts unless they resolve your issue, steering them away from the fact that it is stealth account...what you are doing at the moment is drawing attention to that fact.

UK DEBT COLLECTION AGENCY
The UK debt collection agencies have limited powers but they can cause you a lot of issues over a long period of time....they will basically hassle you with phone calls & letters to last known contact details for upto the next 6 odd years & beyond. They will threaten all sorts of civil actions & outline their options to you though they will give you many many many chances to clear this debt up before it gets escalated.

In your case since you are making contact with them & refusing to pay, you risk them following you up more robustly (i.e turning up at your door at 07:00 in the morning when you are getting ready to be on your way to work etc etc...) & taking this a step closer to them simply issuing a claim to the small claims court as they know it would be waste of time writing to you asking you to pay;they will have recorded that telephone conversation you made to them & can submit this as evidence of your refusal to pay in their small claims court when the magistrate seeks proof of the steps they took to try to resolve this with you first, you might not think it but this is a realistic possibility.

Mind you, an escalation to a small claims court can give them a number of options if they are successful in getting a CCJ/default notice: to get an attachments of earnings order to your earnings, add charge order to your assets (i.e your house), get a court ordered warrant to enter your property to seize goods to the value of the debt (hard to obtain by the smalls claims court but it EXISTS) etc etc. If they do obtain a CCJ against you or a default, it will remain on your credit file for 6 years (UK) & after a 6 year period if the debt remains unpaid, it will still SHOW UP on your credit file but that they cannot legally take any further action to recover it.

Having said all this about the UK debt collections agencies, some have a reputation for being very rude & aggressive on the telephone, treat you poorly, be very obnoxious & may exaggerate their authority or their powers (which are very limited) etc etc.

If you have proper stealth on this account, have NO intention to clear this debt & can close that bank account down, & do NOT engage further directly with the collections agency again, I cannot see how or why this should go beyond endless phone calls/endless letters which should peter out eventually after a while....you will be 'OK' in that respect as they don't know who you are;the debt collection agency are chasing a Mr Y when you are infact a Mr X on the paperwork.

Paypal/eBay knowing your bank account details alone does NOT mean much unless you yourself imply that you've used deception to open the ebay/paypal accounts, then that is something else entirely.

I had a tenant who racked up a 10 000 pound debt (UK pound sterling) & 5 years down the line the debt collection agencies letters have only now come once or twice a year at this old address (that means they don't know where this person is/unable to be traced) as this former tenant has moved from this address & made no contact with the debt collections agencies...

seanws30....if push came to shove, ebay/paypal debt collectors have the option to try to obtain a CCJ/get a court summons issued (so yes, credit record can be harmed) & the seller (stealth ID....uncovered by that bank account details) would be liable to criminal action if ebay/paypal discover false details were given to obtain banking services etc etc & they would/could hand this to the police to look at from a fraud perspective to this as it will track back to you the account owner.

FandangoKango....you are TOTALLY incorrect as pointed out by other posters.

Last edited by SUVE; 12-02-2011 at 10:45 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SUVE For This Useful Post:
a51_k (12-06-2011), GreenBean (12-04-2011), GTB (12-03-2011), xxxhustlerxxx (12-02-2011)
Old 12-03-2011
MU

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean™ View Post
Start adding in my opinion when you make these basically stupid and inaccurate statements will you?

Yet again wrong info being supplied by you.
Do you live in the us greenbean? I think its a little different in the us then in australia not all. Not saying its all way different. Im adding info an experienced I had years ago before I even knew stealth and I was underage, but started selling on ebay and used a friends account I was a double team. We both worked on it. Eventually he went bankrupt because of other financial problems so everything got cleared from his credit. Hello? Wrong info cmon why don't you just accept the info I give.

PLUS im not saying im correct. Im just giving the experience I had. I had a 4k debt with somebody and on a real legit account and all they did was send debt collectors and got it on the credit system for 4 years and I never had 1 single person come to the door of his or mine to say hey your going to jail if you don't pay me right now.

This was a legit account with real ssn and everything in the us and sold cell phones on ebay. Yes, real cell phones im saying it before somebody comes out and starts saying stupid things. Where did I get them? None of your business.

Yes, I know nco or another debt collector can get a judge to have ebay release your records and get your ip address and have them track you to the source and get your real information and get you in a big steep of trouble which is what you should take mind.

Just weigh the positives and negatives of paying that balance off if its worth it or if its ebay/paypals retarded fault.

Now stop being everybody an A&& im just tyring to give an experience i had cmon. Now if you excuse me I have to continue sleeping. Not trying to be rude just stating what I know since everybody here thinks its fishy. Everybody has a different story.

Last edited by FandangoKango; 12-03-2011 at 03:11 AM.
Old 12-03-2011
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 1%

FandangoKango, I am not picking on you or mean any offense to you but I thought I'd add to this.

Quote:
Eventually he went bankrupt because of other financial problems so everything got cleared from his credit.
I assume you mean Chapter 7 bankruptcy (consumer bankruptcy) ??? Upto a point you are correct.....an honest debtor is expected to be given a fresh start through the discharge of debts in a bankruptcy proceeding BUT NOT all debts are dischargeable.

Quote:
all they did was send debt collectors and got it on the credit system for 4 years and I never had 1 single person come to the door of his or mine to say hey your going to jail if you don't pay me right now.
In the US, a debt collection agency will be expected to operate within the confines of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act & bear in mind that each state has its own bankruptcy laws, so there is variance here on how the debt collection operates according to their state.

Quote:
Where did I get them? None of your business.
That is a blatant Non-sequitur, nor sought out by the OP or anyone else on this thread....sigh

Quote:
Hello? Wrong info cmon why don't you just accept the info I give.
I think the very limited context & subtext you provided would have led to anyone else to wonder just how accurate/valid/viable your information was.Infact several posters wondered the same (see thread above) because you did not convey it in a manner that was clear & lacked important detail.I am not surprised GB formed a negative impression on what you originally stated.

With regards to the US creditors in lieu of your statement which GB raised as being inaccurate:

Quote:
If you owed 100k then probably they would do something big about it like a judge.
....you are actually TOTALLY wrong here (& GB is infact correct on this point) even when this incorrect statement of yours is applied to the US, it does NOT take 100K for this to be actionable by a US creditor.

Infact it would have been foolish of the OP to consider:
Quote:
'just accept the info I give'
simply because you were speaking from a US perspective (which was itself not immediately obvious) whereas the OP was from the UK & hence your advise would have not been applicable to him.

Last edited by SUVE; 12-03-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-03-2011
MU

Yea, I made some wrong impression statement. I lacked detail and I added detail. Here I apologize for making some wrong sentencing assumption. Happy!.
Old 12-04-2011
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Do you live in the us greenbean? I think its a little different in the us then in australia not all. Not saying its all way different. Im adding info an experienced I had years ago before I even knew stealth and I was underage, but started selling on ebay and used a friends account I was a double team. We both worked on it. Eventually he went bankrupt because of other financial problems so everything got cleared from his credit. Hello? Wrong info cmon why don't you just accept the info I give.
Quite correct, if you said Good Day I would look outside to see if the sun was shining or if in fact it was night.

My reply was based on the years I spent working in debt recovery in the USA, UK and Australia.

Based on actually hounding the people to get the debt recovered.

Ergo, a reasonable comment directed at you given your hysterical crap replies that fill the forum.

Have a good evening ( time being 18:42PM AEST time)
FandangoKango (12-05-2011)