Chargebacks on PayPal - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 02-18-2016

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 61%
Default Chargebacks on PayPal

Anyone got any advice on how to deal with these? My situation is I sell low value high volume items. Average selling price about £4 and profit is between 50p £1 therefore i send everything untracked, keep getting chargebacks opened on PayPal I'm losing out the £4 which I don't mind but PayPal are charging me £14 fee aswel plus international orders losing another £4 postage. That's nearly £20 a time and started getting a couple a day. Tearing my hair out not sure what to do so any advice would be appreciated. Messaged one of the buyers who opened a chargeback against me the other day out of anger and asked him what's he playing at and he messaged back saying he's screwed me over and said it was funny. So clearly these are not hacked accounts people are just making false claims.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-18-2016
just_smile

Longevity: 0%
Default Re: Chargebacks on PayPal

Upload your proof of postage to the chargeback.

You will be covered by seller protection.
Old 02-18-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,198 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 29%
Longevity: 63%

What is causing so many chargebacks?

I have only have a dozen over the years.

If anyone has an issue they will nearly always open a eBay or PayPal case. Charge back is always a last resort.

Is it possible a competitor is targeting you?
Old 02-18-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 5%
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

This is going to remain a problem for you until you start shipping with tracking. 50% of eBay buyers who see an order go out without tracking, will make it a point to get their money back regardless of whether they receive the order.

You just have to ship with tracking, or find another niche.
Old 02-18-2016
just_smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
This is going to remain a problem for you until you start shipping with tracking. 50% of eBay buyers who see an order go out without tracking, will make it a point to get their money back regardless of whether they receive the order.

You just have to ship with tracking, or find another niche.
No offense but what you have just written is completely wrong.
Old 02-18-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,927 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

At the least, block these bidders as a start - the ones who have bid and charged back in the past. It does sound like this account is being targeted - I would begin transitioning sales to other accounts
Old 02-18-2016
Executive [VIP]

Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_smile View Post
No it's not. I used to ship without tracking before I lost my original account. Uploading "proof of postage" does not prove a thing and will not win you a case, because parcels are lost every day.

In reality, what you wrote is completely wrong.

Unless you provide a tracking number proving the parcel was delivered to your customer, you won't win.
Old 02-18-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
As a side note - How is this supposed to not be offensive?
Old 02-18-2016
just_smile

Quote:
No it's not. I used to ship without tracking before I lost my original account. Uploading "proof of postage" does not prove a thing and will not win you a case, because parcels are lost every day.

Unless you provide a tracking number proving the parcel was delivered to your customer, you won't win.

Uploading proof of postage is all you need to do to win a chargeback. It's there in black and white in paypals terms and conditions. I've done it and won every chargeback by uploading the pop.

You do not need to provide a tracking number on paypal UK to win a chargeback. (but if you have one, add it anyway)

What I have written is 100% correct. What you have written is 100% wrong

It is not a matter of opinion.
Old 02-18-2016

Longevity: 53%

Send it tracked, problem solved. 100% of my customers "found" the package once I've given them tracking number.
Old 02-18-2016
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,653 Times in 1,250 Posts
Activity: 26%

Folks, sorry for the noobie question but... what is the "proof of postage" if not the tracking number?
Old 02-18-2016
just_smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilcarletto View Post
Folks, sorry for the noobie question but... what is the "proof of postage" if not the tracking number?
Proof of postage is just a receipt to show you have sent the item to the correct address.

You get one when sending by untracked mail at the post office in the UK.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
ilcarletto (02-18-2016), JamesNorth101 (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 47%

Just saw the op is in UK, sorry.

Uploading tracking is a good preventative as the buyer can see it's in transit. Most buyers are reasonable and will check the tracking to see when their item is going to be delivered. It's when you don't give them tracking, they begin to get nervous. Especially with items that take a long time to make.

Last edited by chicagoIL; 02-18-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-18-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 View Post
What is causing so many chargebacks?

I have only have a dozen over the years.

If anyone has an issue they will nearly always open a eBay or PayPal case. Charge back is always a last resort.

Is it possible a competitor is targeting you?
Really not sure why I've had maybe 5-6 over the past couple of years and just lost out on the £4 each time. Now I'm getting that many a week plus a £14 PayPal charge. Looking back it seems to of started to increase when PayPal split from eBay and I think that's when PayPal have also started charging fees on top as well. Don't Mind losing £4 will just take a loss and block buyer but £20 a time is too much for such low value items.

Oh and all the chargebacks, I'm not sure what it says exactly but buyer claiming that someone else made the payment without them knowing.

Last edited by Dazzler87; 02-18-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-18-2016
just_smile

Paypal have always charged the £14 fee.

Do you have proof of postage dazzler?
Old 02-18-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Upload your proof of postage to the chargeback.

You will be covered by seller protection.
Never get proof of postage usually just hand in Royal Mail sacks to post office with large letter stamp on them. Then a bag full of ones for post office to process that weigh over 100g, and for them I usually just get one receipt showing for example 100x 2nd class, 20x 1st class, international, then total payment, nothing has buyers post code.

I remember when I fist started selling a few a day I used to write all buyers addresses on a slip and post office would check it and stamp it. Would that mean I would have to do that again or is there a faster way? Otherwise would need to write 200+ postcodes a day would be very time consuming.
Old 02-18-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Paypal have always charged the £14 fee.

Do you have proof of postage dazzler?
I've honestly never been charged before. not sure if it's because my items were such low value and now they've decided to start charging me.
Old 02-18-2016
just_smile

I am not aware if there is a quicker way than what you have mentioned. You would think there would be a quicker way. Try posting on the eBay forums for a solution.
Old 02-18-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,096 Times in 824 Posts
Longevity: 72%

Quote:

In the UK, the post office postage receipts display the house number and postcode the item is sent to.

But it is up to the person who is sending the items to ask for a 'bulk receipt' so that it displays this on it, otherwise you just get the normal till receipts.
Old 02-19-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzler87 View Post
Never get proof of postage usually just hand in Royal Mail sacks to post office with large letter stamp on them. Then a bag full of ones for post office to process that weigh over 100g, and for them I usually just get one receipt showing for example 100x 2nd class, 20x 1st class, international, then total payment, nothing has buyers post code.

I remember when I fist started selling a few a day I used to write all buyers addresses on a slip and post office would check it and stamp it. Would that mean I would have to do that again or is there a faster way? Otherwise would need to write 200+ postcodes a day would be very time consuming.
I hear you, writing out postcodes can be a pain.

I do Drop and Go and I used to write out every single postcode by hand, which wasn't that bad but now that I'm doing close to 1000 transactions a month, its a bit too much.

My solution for this was very simple: I spoke to my Post Office manager and asked if I could print out my personal shipping label paperwork(with all the addresses on it) and modify it so that it would have "date" and "Post Office stamp here" places on the paperwork.
I still submit the manifest where I mark down how many are 2nd class, how many are signed for and how many are international but I also include the address paperwork for them to stamp and sign.
I explained to her that I need to see that I have sent out the parcels to certain postcodes in case there are problems with my shipments, she was more than happy to stamp my paperwork- At the end of the day, there is no difference between stamping their DaG manifest, and stamping a A4 paper that has same postcodes on it.

Its always good to have a healthy working relationship with your local Post Office manager, as they can help you out with those types of little "favours". Thats why I have said many times over and over to take them box of sweets at least once a month and get to know them- They'll look after you.
Old 02-19-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunneh View Post
In the UK, the post office postage receipts display the house number and postcode the item is sent to.

But it is up to the person who is sending the items to ask for a 'bulk receipt' so that it displays this on it, otherwise you just get the normal till receipts.
Also its worth adding that when you go back to Post Office and ask them to print out the full transaction receipt it doesn't show postcodes on it, but only the service that was used and each individual line- Basically making the whole transaction ID useless.

How do I know? I had a problem last week and found out how retarded some parts of the Royal Mail systems are.

Basically, everything moves and gets scanned in computers, yet they don't record anything for me to use- Even when I run a Drop and Go account. You'd exect them to a bit more 2016 and record at least what my total number of parcels has been, or each individual transaction ID put through the account... Or perhaps add an option to top up the card online?
Nah, its Royal ****ing Mail, at its finest.
Old 02-19-2016

Longevity: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haidukken View Post
I hear you, writing out postcodes can be a pain.

I do Drop and Go and I used to write out every single postcode by hand, which wasn't that bad but now that I'm doing close to 1000 transactions a month, its a bit too much.

My solution for this was very simple: I spoke to my Post Office manager and asked if I could print out my personal shipping label paperwork(with all the addresses on it) and modify it so that it would have "date" and "Post Office stamp here" places on the paperwork.
I still submit the manifest where I mark down how many are 2nd class, how many are signed for and how many are international but I also include the address paperwork for them to stamp and sign.
I explained to her that I need to see that I have sent out the parcels to certain postcodes in case there are problems with my shipments, she was more than happy to stamp my paperwork- At the end of the day, there is no difference between stamping their DaG manifest, and stamping a A4 paper that has same postcodes on it.

Its always good to have a healthy working relationship with your local Post Office manager, as they can help you out with those types of little "favours". Thats why I have said many times over and over to take them box of sweets at least once a month and get to know them- They'll look after you.
If you do Drop and Go then its better to ask post office to give you proof of address as they get £0.05-£0.20 for each POA. So better to ask them to do it for you. On the other hand for PPI, I could't find any option like that.Thanks