-£500 in negative due to me being scammed by someone - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal > UK PayPal Talk

UK PayPal Talk General issues related to UK Paypal

Old 10-20-2017

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 37%
Default -£500 in negative due to me being scammed by someone

Hi,

I hope this is the right place to post about this. I recently needed some help to pay for a few things, and found someone on a forum I use who offered to send some money if I managed his sales for him.

Everything was going smooth until a week ago, when chargebacks started popping out from no-where.

I know what I did was stupid, but at the time, I really needed help and he seemed like a nice person.

The guy I talk too is no longer replying to me, and the things I was doing was invoicing people for $50 Unlocks etc.

I have two accounts:

One has a bank account added, but is not direct debit one (it says for transfer only)

Another account has my verified debit card with my real home address..

I'm really scared, and I've been reading on forums etc about debt collectors, courts etc.. and I'm just so nervous, I'm a student myself so I have nowhere near the income to cover this and I feel so helpless..

What should I do?

I'm more than happy to show proof, or talk with someone if they wanted too.. It's just that, I have no-one else to turn too and my parents will probably kill me for what I've done..

Many thanks
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 10-21-2017
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 43%
Default Re: -£500 in negative due to me being scammed by someone

First off, welcome to the forum.

It's unfortunate to hear of your plight. The internet is full of dodgy people who may seem like good fellows, but have every intention of ripping you.

Obviously you don't need a lecture on what you did wrong. However, maybe you can clarify the nature of these transactions you were doing for this person? Were you collecting funds on behalf of someone else for a sale? If so, was is on eBay or some other web site?

Just trying to get a better understanding of what is going on here.
Old 10-21-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Welcome to the forums - all the best as you master stealth

For the account with your home address...is that the address on the account?
Old 10-21-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

So I assume you paid the guy from your own bank that you withdrew to, from paypal.
There is no money left that can reimburse paypal?

I have heard of the goods scams, where goods do not arrive. This is a service, so that is way more prone to chargebacks even when there is no scam. This guy is almost certainly a scammer, but there is a small chance he just got tired of issues, and that this was not working out, and left you to deal with it.

And the paypals, both in name, dob and address? Have you ever submitted your ID to them?

Have you profited at all from this? What percentage of this £500 did you keep for yourself? - this part would be good to pay back to paypal (call it a lesson learned payment)

Which account did the selling, the card or the bank one or both? It does not look as though paypal can take the neg balance from either, as one is maybe a saver bank acc (double-check that) and the other is a debit card (without overdraft?) that can have a zero amount in it and cannot go neg.

You might get debt collection letters etc. The most that can happen to you, is you have to pay the money back, that is all, do not let your mind wander to more serious scenarios.

You need to gather proof that this happened, the payments you made to this guy, the social media etc. It is a known scam, and you may not be held accountable for it, if you have evidence. It is a civil matter anyway. I doubt anyone will come after you for knowingly doing something criminal, but you ought to prepare yourself for any eventuality. If you ever get anything other than just the letters/calls over it then you can file a police report, against this person, or at least register the matter and go from there.

The buyers will get their money back via paypal anyway.

Also your real details are now banned from paypal, but there are ways around that anyway if you want to sign up again in future.

If you are a student, scared/nervous then I understand, you made a mistake. You need to protect yourself, and if possible, try and pay something off to paypal. Are you under-age? And your parents will only want to help you, and it might be a good idea to confide in them.

Last edited by oompaloompa; 10-21-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-22-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickopedia View Post
First off, welcome to the forum.

It's unfortunate to hear of your plight. The internet is full of dodgy people who may seem like good fellows, but have every intention of ripping you.

Obviously you don't need a lecture on what you did wrong. However, maybe you can clarify the nature of these transactions you were doing for this person? Were you collecting funds on behalf of someone else for a sale? If so, was is on eBay or some other web site?

Just trying to get a better understanding of what is going on here.
Many thanks for the welcome!

Sure thing, what I was doing was this:

He would ask me to invoice people for phone unlocks, I would invoice, they would pay, I would then convert the money to Bitcoins, send it to him.

He said he got these from eBay. But it wasn't through eBay listings (i.e there were listings posted, but they were ordered off site)
Old 10-22-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Welcome to the forums - all the best as you master stealth

For the account with your home address...is that the address on the account?
The address on there, is not my home, but there is one account with my debit card linked to it, that is my home address
Old 10-22-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompaloompa View Post
So I assume you paid the guy from your own bank that you withdrew to, from paypal.
There is no money left that can reimburse paypal?

I have heard of the goods scams, where goods do not arrive. This is a service, so that is way more prone to chargebacks even when there is no scam. This guy is almost certainly a scammer, but there is a small chance he just got tired of issues, and that this was not working out, and left you to deal with it.

And the paypals, both in name, dob and address? Have you ever submitted your ID to them?

Have you profited at all from this? What percentage of this £500 did you keep for yourself? - this part would be good to pay back to paypal (call it a lesson learned payment)

Which account did the selling, the card or the bank one or both? It does not look as though paypal can take the neg balance from either, as one is maybe a saver bank acc (double-check that) and the other is a debit card (without overdraft?) that can have a zero amount in it and cannot go neg.

You might get debt collection letters etc. The most that can happen to you, is you have to pay the money back, that is all, do not let your mind wander to more serious scenarios.

You need to gather proof that this happened, the payments you made to this guy, the social media etc. It is a known scam, and you may not be held accountable for it, if you have evidence. It is a civil matter anyway. I doubt anyone will come after you for knowingly doing something criminal, but you ought to prepare yourself for any eventuality. If you ever get anything other than just the letters/calls over it then you can file a police report, against this person, or at least register the matter and go from there.

The buyers will get their money back via paypal anyway.

Also your real details are now banned from paypal, but there are ways around that anyway if you want to sign up again in future.

If you are a student, scared/nervous then I understand, you made a mistake. You need to protect yourself, and if possible, try and pay something off to paypal. Are you under-age? And your parents will only want to help you, and it might be a good idea to confide in them.

I didn't pay him from my bank, i.e there haven't been any transactions from Bank > PayPal as everything I had dealt with was using the PayPal balance.

I have not submitted any documents to them, in fact, they've both been limited because there is no "proof" on there that I am the person I say I am.

The only worry for me is this:

Account 1
- ⊗⊗⊗⊗ Name
- ⊗⊗⊗⊗ Business Address
- Bank attached for withdrawals only

Account 2
- Real Name
- ⊗⊗⊗⊗ Business Address
- Debit Card added and verified (attached is also my real address where the debit card is registered to)

I have not profited anything from this, i.e - I got a payment from them, which I used to help pay for some bills and so on, but I never got anything out of it other than that, because we did not do it for long.

If I had profited, ofc I would use the money to pay it to PayPal

In terms of the account details:

Bank:

It's a saver account, but I can also send and receive payments on there, actually, it's a bit complicated, but what I can do is that I have a running saver account on there, and I have the main like account, for I assume my debit card.

My debit card has a max £80 prearranged overdraft (No idea where this happened from)

But all I know is that, if I overdraw by £80 (and this only ever happens when I for example transfer money, and while there is money pending to be deposited in my account, I can go to like, a website, and order something for money, even if I have £0 in my account, even if my transfer was less than the purchase price)

Other than that, if I try and purchase something, and I have £0, the payment gets declined.

It also gets charged £5 daily till the max of £80 where it stops charging it.

I have actually taken steps to report the person, I contacted Western Union, reporting the details, I have also gather PLENTY of evidence, photos, screenshots, video recordings, IP address, transactions, names and so on, that show that this person was using ID fraud

I'm actually trying to compile it into one report and send it to FBI/Interpol.

There's around 80 files there, and their website only allows one document upload, so I felt it better if I make a word document or a PDF or something.

I'm not too sure about this, but.. in the UK, I heard that debt collectors have no power unless they go to court.. right?

Many thanks for your detailed response and for helping me
Old 10-23-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

An any overdrafts would be a good idea to remove maybe from the card.

You always have the option to close the bank/cards, but usually a saver cannot be withdrawn from anyway by paypal.

I hear collections are toothless too, you tell them it is not your debt, and not to contact you again, do not admit to anything or say too much. I have never heard even real details paypal debts go to Court from anyone on this forum - but it has never happened to me.

I am not telling you what to do, but just consider that given this is currently between yourself and paypal, and nothing has actually happened and may never happen, maybe it is better not to flag yourself to interpol/FBI ! Why would you want them to have your name on their records about anything! Remember on the face of it, you are responsible for this debt. I mean, gather evidence just in case, and you say you contacted WU, possibly that is enough for now? and in fact the big agencies are probably not interested in actioning this tiny case. Is it advisable to hand info over to agencies, when the matter is simple or the extent not yet known and after all, if anyone official (I dont mean paypal) want to talk to you, then they will contact you, and at that point you can hand over the evidence? It is up to you but think carefully and take proper advice.

You will never get your paypal accounts back or real details cleared to use again with paypal anyway, even if you were vindicated in the highest Court.

Last edited by oompaloompa; 10-23-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-08-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompaloompa View Post
An any overdrafts would be a good idea to remove maybe from the card.

You always have the option to close the bank/cards, but usually a saver cannot be withdrawn from anyway by paypal.

I hear collections are toothless too, you tell them it is not your debt, and not to contact you again, do not admit to anything or say too much. I have never heard even real details paypal debts go to Court from anyone on this forum - but it has never happened to me.

I am not telling you what to do, but just consider that given this is currently between yourself and paypal, and nothing has actually happened and may never happen, maybe it is better not to flag yourself to interpol/FBI ! Why would you want them to have your name on their records about anything! Remember on the face of it, you are responsible for this debt. I mean, gather evidence just in case, and you say you contacted WU, possibly that is enough for now? and in fact the big agencies are probably not interested in actioning this tiny case. Is it advisable to hand info over to agencies, when the matter is simple or the extent not yet known and after all, if anyone official (I dont mean paypal) want to talk to you, then they will contact you, and at that point you can hand over the evidence? It is up to you but think carefully and take proper advice.

You will never get your paypal accounts back or real details cleared to use again with paypal anyway, even if you were vindicated in the highest Court.
Alright, thank you for your advice

I actually won 6 cases totalling $500, but the money isn't in my balance? It was a credit card chargeback, is that normal?

It said

"no money is taken from seller"
Old 11-09-2017

I didn't read all these replies so sorry if its already been said, the first few replies were long and didn't give you much advice.

One cancel your bank card .. just call the bank say you have lost it. they'll replace it with new numbers and your old card wont work.

Stop worrying, if your pp address is not your own, then your debt letters will go to the other address. Even if you have attached your own card, which you should now have cancelled.

It can't affect your credit score in anyway

If no DD is set up they can't take money from your bank.

If they do send letters to your house, ask them for proof of debt and where you signed to it .. they can't provide it. There was no credit agreement. They may ask a few times but they'll go away.

Sounds like the guy has been getting you to invoice him then paying the invoice with stolen card/paypal accounts.

Let paypal eat the costs they steal enough money as it is
Old 11-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSFLogic View Post

I have actually taken steps to report the person, I contacted Western Union, reporting the details, I have also gather PLENTY of evidence, photos, screenshots, video recordings, IP address, transactions, names and so on, that show that this person was using ID fraud

I'm actually trying to compile it into one report and send it to FBI/Interpol.

There's around 80 files there, and their website only allows one document upload, so I felt it better if I make a word document or a PDF or something.

I'm not too sure about this, but.. in the UK, I heard that debt collectors have no power unless they go to court.. right?

Many thanks for your detailed response and for helping me
Just read back over your comments, easy tiger you've been watching too many movies, FBI, for £500 BRITISH pounds lol

You could do yourself more harm than good by contacting agency (NCA or GCHQ since your british LOL)

You won't get anything more than threatening emails to which they get bored of sending after 12 months

FBI lol that tickled me. Tell them about all the money paypal have stole of aspkin member while you're there