Amazon Mac Address Paradigm Shift - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Amazon X

Amazon X The juicy stuff...

Old 03-13-2011

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 78%
Default Amazon Mac Address Paradigm Shift

Im having real doubts about Amazon being able to read your mac address.
In fact, I think it is IMPOSSIBLE!

No one can read your mac address if they're not on the same network as you/subnet.

Obviously, Amazon does not share the same network as me, nor do they install a trojan which reads my MAC address manually.

I feel that if I'm right, this could mean that all the effort gone into foiling MAC address could have been futile and thus, Aspkin in AmazonGhost may have overly exaggerated the MAC address concern.

If someone could elaborate or disprove me, Id appreciate it!

Heres a useful link:

Banned from a website, change of MAC address? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers

The only 2 sites which claim to track your MAC address, do so with a java script plugin that can be easily disabled. No worries there.

Find MAC Address: Check My MAC Address Lookup | Get MAC Address Finder
MAC Address Lookup: Find MAC Address | Change MAC Address Finder
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-13-2011
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 91%

It can't hurt, and isn't that complicated to get a new MAC......just go to the Apple store.
Old 03-13-2011

Longevity: 80%

jsmith1234 no worry man, they do not track your MAC for sure, i have done with the same MAC for years without problems, it is just one more ''time wasting misinformation'' for people who say '' It can't hurt'' =)
Old 03-13-2011

Longevity: 77%

but amazon do log some info from our computor to identify us
Old 03-15-2011

Longevity: 83%

lol this thread is funny
Think I'll buy me a football team
The Following User Says Thank You to MtnDew For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 91%

what is so funny?
Old 03-15-2011

Longevity: 90%
Send a message via AIM to adam34996 Send a message via MSN to adam34996

Sites on the internet (Amazon) are not actually given your mac address when you send or receive data. They only get your IP address which is issued by your ISP.

However...

It *is* possible for a machine to be infested with spy-ware or other tracking software that sends the mac address out to whoever wrote the spy-ware.

Enough experienced users on this board would strongly disagree with you, so be careful, take all the precautions that you can.
The Following User Says Thank You to adam34996 For This Useful Post:
MtnDew (03-20-2011)
Old 03-20-2011

Longevity: 83%

thats what is funny read the post above this...its been proved they can and do.
Think I'll buy me a football team
Old 03-21-2011
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
thats what is funny read the post above this...its been proved they can and do.
Source for proof? Because I have never heard of such a thing. And please refer to a quote and not something like, 'Ive been banned by Amazon, and they know its me! I've done everything to cover my tracks so it MUST be the MAC address!'

I find this almost impossible (but technology is always improving because cookies and stored data is being more persistent).

For instance ISOs/flash cookies werent exploited to use until a bit while ago.
I am not saying MACs cannot be read, as it can be done through JAVA. Also with programs through driveby downloads or exploitable code to made downloading some type of software to communicate back with the server.

Let me basically put it this way. MACs are given that are on the same subnet they are. Machines are separated by routers will not see each other's MACs. When dealing with the outside (outside subnet), if you are behind a router, they would see the router mac address. Layer 2 is not routable on the internet.

To track someone with their MAC, an external force would be needed as I said; Software, JAVA. Amazon is clearly not doing that if you look through the headers and if you analyze the packets going to and from your computer. You can use wireshark for instance to check.

I havent done major testing on Amazon but you have to remember if they are now using Silverlight as well. SL does have LSO/SL cookies that are persistent as well. Also HTML5 Session / Local / Global / DB Storage should be regarded as well. I know for a fact twitter uses them.

There is also another way of tracking your computer via HWID (Hardware ID) Which would be much more persistent in tracking your computer.
Old 03-21-2011

Longevity: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamous View Post
Source for proof? Because I have never heard of such a thing. And please refer to a quote and not something like, 'Ive been banned by Amazon, and they know its me! I've done everything to cover my tracks so it MUST be the MAC address!'

I find this almost impossible (but technology is always improving because cookies and stored data is being more persistent).

For instance ISOs/flash cookies werent exploited to use until a bit while ago.
I am not saying MACs cannot be read, as it can be done through JAVA. Also with programs through driveby downloads or exploitable code to made downloading some type of software to communicate back with the server.

Let me basically put it this way. MACs are given that are on the same subnet they are. Machines are separated by routers will not see each other's MACs. When dealing with the outside (outside subnet), if you are behind a router, they would see the router mac address. Layer 2 is not routable on the internet.

To track someone with their MAC, an external force would be needed as I said; Software, JAVA. Amazon is clearly not doing that if you look through the headers and if you analyze the packets going to and from your computer. You can use wireshark for instance to check.

I havent done major testing on Amazon but you have to remember if they are now using Silverlight as well. SL does have LSO/SL cookies that are persistent as well. Also HTML5 Session / Local / Global / DB Storage should be regarded as well. I know for a fact twitter uses them.

There is also another way of tracking your computer via HWID (Hardware ID) Which would be much more persistent in tracking your computer.
Relax man MtnDew is kidding you )