Struggling with my website - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > General Platform Discussions

General Platform Discussions Discuss other platforms (marketplace accounts, payment gateways, ad accounts, social accounts and more). In other words, if it's about another platform and it doesn't fit anywhere else, it goes here.

Old 06-01-2013
Subscribed [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 66%
Default Struggling with my website

Hi everyone,

i am having some issues getting traffic to my website. I have read Aspkin's SEO guide but i'm still very confused to be honest.

I created my website using Weebly - Create a free website and a free blog which is free but i have upgraded to a premium plan etc and purchased my own domain name.

Im unsure exactly what to write as each page has the option to write a page title, page description, meta keywords, header code and footer code. I have used some Meta code generators online but i have found them to be completely useless and quite spammy which i understand is not good for my google ranking.

I am in a very competitive market which is consumer electronics and to my knowledge i am yet to have a sale from my website although it does actually direct you to ebay to make the purchase so i cannot be certain about this. I am averaging 10-20 views per day unless i promote my website on social network sites which gives me a short boost in traffic peaking at about 100 visitors.

I am also running several other websites and struggling with SEO on then too. I know content is key and i will need to try and work on that but i would like some personal advice from people who know what they are talking about. If anyone can explain to me about external links and backlinks then i will appreciate it.

Also does anyone on this forum offer SEO services at reasonable prices? my business is very small at the moment but growing quite fast. I cannot afford to be spending large amounts of money on SEO or google Adwords.

Any advice is most welcome

ps my website is GMC Trading * *Electronics Direct to you - GMC Trading Home if anyone wants to have a look before offering advice on content etc.

Regards
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 06-01-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quick tip.... on your Contact Page, add a CAPTCHA for blocking spammers.

ps, liking what I have seen so far.
Old 06-01-2013

Longevity: 64%

SEO is all about keywords

1 create a pyramid of keywords from most valuable to least valuable to you
2 check what people actually search and the competition for those phrases
3 create rich text pages with each page soaked not drowned with your keyword phrase
4 create metatags for all pages using keywords make sure urls have the keywords in them
5 create natural backlinks to your pages using anchor text links must be natural example you have 20 unique visiotrs a day you would not expect more than one backlink for every 10-15 visitors
6 create social bookmarks using the same ratios as number 5
7 alt tag all images using keywords
8 make text links to all pages on your site throughout your site using anchor text to the keywords of those pages
9 get rid of flash it is useless for seo even though it is pretty
10 a couple things you need onlywire, and google webmaster tools

Start there and report back
Old 06-01-2013
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

Nice layout and logo.

For me the outer part of the webpage is too dark and contrast account the inner part.

I would use a much lighter outside color so it blends better and gets a potential customers eyes on the products quicker.

Just my thoughts.
Old 06-02-2013

Longevity: 69%

I don't like kicking people when they are down, but if you want to make money with a website, you're going to need to step it up.

Of course do not take any of this personally but because you're dealing with end-users, they need to see something professional. Something light and commercial. Weebly unfortunately has that "1997 template" look with most, if not all of their designs.

If you're using Ebay, you should consider simply forwarding your domain to your store. Actually, if you're looking to get traffic... get some cheap hosting and setup wordpress on it, and blog away. There's a few good wordpress plugins that can help with SEO. Of course, link to your store and your products in your post.

I'm a web designer during the day, I know how hard it is to start a new website. If you don't have the money or knowledge to make a professional website that can work right away, then I wouldn't waste too much time trying. There's alot of competition out there.

Of course if you're doing this for fun and you like doing it and don't need a financial return any time soon... then keep having fun.
Old 06-02-2013

I have had a quick look at your website and for some reason you have 3 Meta keyword tags. These can be removed as Google does not use the keyword tags anymore. Years of abuse and keyword stuffing has resulted in Google ignoring this tag completely.

However, the description and title tags are recognised by Google and they should be 100% relevant to the content of the page.

I notice that on your products page for tablets, namely the "JXD S18 4.3 inch Mini Pad Tablet 4GB, Cortex A9 Android 4.0, Wifi - Black" there is no mention of this in the title or the description tags, these read:

<title>Tablets - GMC Trading &nbsp; &nbsp;Electronics Direct to you</title>
<meta name='description' content='Find our range of tablet computers here'

For each page you create you need to have corresponding titles and descriptions. This alone will not send you shooting through the rankings but it's just the basics to get you on your way.

If you do a search on Google.co.uk for "JXD S18 4.3 inch Mini Pad Tablet" there are around 63000 results and the first page is dominated by the big boys, eBay, Amazon and YouTube etc. Your website is never likely going to compete and show in the rankings well for such competitive products anytime soon.

I think social bookmarking, blogs and forums is the way to go for you to generate at least some traffic to your site.
Old 06-02-2013
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am only 17 and still trying to learn the basics. Would a design such as my other website(GMC Web Design - Home) be more suitable and look better?

I will remove the meta tags later. Weebly still has the option to add these so that's why I did it. It seems weebly doesn't update their features very often which is disappointing.

Any more tips are welcome
Old 06-02-2013
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by geg1700 View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am only 17 and still trying to learn the basics. Would a design such as my other website(GMC Web Design - Home) be more suitable and look better?

I will remove the meta tags later. Weebly still has the option to add these so that's why I did it. It seems weebly doesn't update their features very often which is disappointing.

Seo is just one part of the game. You need to use ad words/plas to generate more traffic. Btw, Johnson1 is a good and knowledgeable guy.
The Following User Says Thank You to slim jim For This Useful Post:
Johnson1 (06-02-2013)
Old 06-02-2013
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson1 View Post

I think social bookmarking, blogs and forums is the way to go for you to generate at least some traffic to your site.
Could you explain what social bookmarking is? also could you recommend any blogs or forums i should go on and advertise?

thanks
Old 06-02-2013

Quote:
Could you explain what social bookmarking is? also could you recommend any blogs or forums i should go on and advertise?

thanks
If you search "what is social bookmarking" on Google you will have all the information you could ever want.

The same goes for blogs and forums, search for ones that are relative to your products.
Old 06-02-2013
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

have sent you a pm Johnson about your SEO services
Old 06-02-2013
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

Quote:

You are welcome!

I am not a website master by any means like some of these other guys but a dark website to me is not user friendly or inviting.

I do have some of my own websites and social bookmarking as mentioned above is vital to your success. You have to get traffic to your site. This is just one way.
Old 06-02-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

The site is a good start but - if you have time and commitment - definitely broaden the colour scheme - maybe read into javascript and flash player coding to step up the design a notch
Old 06-03-2013
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

I could easily just change to a different theme which is brighter?. Please look at my other website GMC Web Design - Home and tell me what you think of the actual layout compared to GMC Trading * *Electronics Direct to you - GMC Trading Home bearing in mind the actual background can easily be changed.

thanks
Old 06-03-2013
Executive [VIP]

The background on the other site - grooves and such - is still kind of dark and bland...not really feeling it
Old 06-03-2013
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
The background on the other site - grooves and such - is still kind of dark and bland...not really feeling it
that can be changed. But is the layout more suitable?
Old 06-03-2013

Is GMC Web Design - Home your site?
Old 06-03-2013
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Is GMC Web Design - Home your site?
Yes that is also my website
Old 06-03-2013

Quote:
Yes that is also my website
So you are offering website design and SEO services to your prospective clients?
Old 06-03-2013
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
So you are offering website design and SEO services to your prospective clients?
Just a few local people such as this organisation Hadley Wood Association - Home

Obviously there is a lot to learn and i am nowhere near ready to offer good SEO services etc but on this kind of scale where people will be searching for a specific website then it does the job
Old 06-04-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
that can be changed. But is the layout more suitable?
A bit better but there is a lot of outside space that should be used - dont just keep everything centered....shouldnt not have so much deadspace...
Old 06-04-2013
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
A bit better but there is a lot of outside space that should be used - dont just keep everything centered....shouldnt not have so much deadspace...
Thats the annoying thing with all of these templates. There is always too much space which you cannot edit :(