Sea mail issues from China (Red Sea Crisis) - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 01-27-2024

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 60%
Default Sea mail issues from China (Red Sea Crisis)

Are any fellow traders having difficulties sourcing stock from China by sea? I'm well aware of the Red Sea situation, but I thought ships were simply rerouting along the west coast of Africa for an extra 2 week delay.. 2 parcels I ordered in November are on their way, but delayed, but a 3rd I ordered in early December doesn't even have tracking records. I'm wary of buying season sensitive items, with such an uncertain shipping time currently.

Anyone actually getting stock through by Sea?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-27-2024

Thanked 1,111 Times in 1,047 Posts
Activity: 92%
Longevity: 33%

You know tankers and ships are being attacked by drone,they just hit one yesterday and set it on fire.

why dont you ask your supplier,he would know more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indielad View Post
I'm their only customer this year, so they have no experience to compare it too, which is why I'm asking for experiences from other traders/suppliers
He should ask sellers in his trade,they should know

You want to ask your seller to ask other Chinese sellers how they ship and what is their experience and expectations.
how do you know they have shipped your items>

OP bought from newbie seller,no tracking.
I hope she/he used his credit card!!

if it is something from China,I bet you can find them in local markets,you can buy from them or find a US seller who have those items,you may lose money but save your account from being suspended.

OP said she bot it from a first time Chinese seller who has no clue what is going on and provides no tracking,thats why she is asking this forum.

She also said her US buyers are getting restless -where is my item?
so to save her account,she can find a local brick and mortar shop in UK or someone Online in USA to dropship,too many INR could lead to account suspension on Ebay.

Quote:
I'm their only customer this year, so they have no experience to compare it too, which is why I'm asking for experiences from other traders/suppliers
sorry,I misunderstand what she said,she said she is the only customer for this year,and she has been buying from them for 17 years.

Nevertheless,if a seller has been in business for that many years,he/she should be able to find out ,the fact he did not giver her tracking makes me ask if he has shipped the item yet?

Quote:
Who said she was a new seller?

I have been using her as a supplier for 17 years, and I owe her 2000 pounds.

Instead of trying to revel in the imagined misery of others, you could have either answered the question or remained quiet. There is a whiff of schadenfreude about you.
I think you are being too sensitive[REVEL IN imagined misery of others",I did answer your question,your seller being in business for more than 17 years should know enough to find out what is the latest in overseas shipping from China to Europe,most members of this forum buy from China,few sell from China.
Why should I remain quiet,you can always block me so you dont have t o read my comments anymore,your choice!
You should tell us earlier you owe her 2000 GBP,so we could breathe a sign of relief ,you are not in misery !

The reason I asked if you have used a credit card,is that you can file a chargeback with your cc issuer,thats what a US buyer would do.
But it sounds like you have a large shipment and has an account with them,with a balance of 2100 GBP to pay.
Carriers use customs broker,some have their own customs brokers ,some use outside firms,Fed Exp brokers will receive a list of arrivals in advance and they will start preparing clearance paperwork to expedite custom clearance.
Some buyers do it themselves.
All shipments must clear thru customs,so if your vendor has shipped,the carrier must have record of where it is .
Here is something outside the scope of this thread-
Who else knows?The Somalian pirates,people often wonder how do these starving pirates know when to show up in the fast oceans with their dinky vessels?
Some one in the shipping business could have tipped them off.

Car factories have idled in Belgium and Germany. Spring fashion lines are delayed at a popular British department store. A Maryland company that makes hospital supplies doesn’t know when to expect parts from Asia.

Attacks on ships in the Red Sea are delivering another shock to global trade, coming on top of pandemic-related logjams at ports and Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Houthi rebels in Yemen, seeking to stop Israel’s offensive against Hamas in Gaza, are attacking cargo ships plying the waters connecting Asia with Europe and the United States, forcing traffic away from the Suez Canal and around the tip of Africa. The disruption is causing delays and driving up costs — at a time when the world has yet to vanquish a resurgence of inflation.
Advertisement

“What’s happened right now is short-term chaos, and chaos leads to increased costs,” said Ryan Petersen, CEO of the supply chain management company Flexport. “Every ship that gets rerouted has 10,000 containers on it. It’s a lot of emails and phone calls getting made to replan each of those container journeys.”

Adding to the bedlam in global shipping is what Petersen calls a “double whammy”: Passage through another crucial trade corridor — the Panama Canal — is restricted by low water levels caused by drought. And shippers are in a rush to move goods before Chinese factories shut down for the Feb. 10-17 Lunar New Year holiday.

The threat grows considerably the longer the war in Gaza drags on.
Now Playing:
Paul Ryan on Donald Trump, Nikki Haley, and the Presidential Primaries
Next Video
00:08
20:36
Visit our Video Center
Advertisement

Disruption to Red Sea trade lasting a year could surge goods inflation by up to 2%, Petersen says, piling on pain while the world already struggles with higher prices for groceries, rent and more. That also could mean even higher interest rates, which have weakened economies.

For now, Man & Machine in Greater Landover, Maryland, is awaiting a shipment from Taiwan and greater China. It’s been one setback after another for the company, which makes washable keyboards and accessories for hospitals and other customers.

Founder and CEO Clifton Broumand usually gets a shipment of components about once a month, but the latest delivery, which departed Asia four weeks ago, is delayed. The normal route — three weeks via the Suez Canal — has been shut down by the Houthi attacks.

Rerouting to the Panama Canal didn’t work either — the shipment was stymied there by the drought-related mess. Now, it might have to cross the Pacific to Los Angeles and come by truck or train to Maryland. Broumand has no idea when the products will arrive.

“It’s annoying, and it’s interesting. I think our customers, everybody understands. This is not like, ‘Why didn’t you plan this?’ — who knew?” he said. “We call our customers and say, ‘Hey, it’s going to be delayed. This is why it is.’ Nobody likes it, but it’s not going to kill anybody, it’s just another frustration.”
Advertisement

Other industries are seeing similar hassles.

Electric carmaker Tesla TSLA, +0.34% has to shut down its factory near Berlin from Monday to Feb. 11 because of shipment delays. The Chinese-owned Swedish car brand Volvo idled its assembly line in Ghent, Belgium, where it makes station wagons and SUVs, for three days this month while waiting for a key part for transmissions.

Production at a Suzuki Motor Corp. 7269, -1.64% plant in Hungary stopped for a week because of a delay in getting engines and other parts from Japan.

The British retail chain Marks & Spencer MKS, -1.73% warned that the turmoil would delay new spring clothing and home goods collections that were due in February and March. Chief executive Stuart Machin said the Red Sea trouble was “impacting everyone and something we’re very focused on.”

Roughly 20% of the clothes and shoes imported into the U.S. arrive via the Suez Canal, said Steve Lamar, CEO of the American Apparel & Footwear Association. For Europe, the impact is even bigger: 40% of clothes and 50% of shoes traverse the Red Sea.
Advertisement

“This is a crisis that has global implications for the maritime shipping industry,” Lamar said.

As of Jan. 19, Flexport says, almost 25% of global shipping capacity is being or will be diverted from the Red Sea, adding thousands of miles and a week or two to trips.

The cost of shipping a standard 40-foot container from Asia to northern Europe has surged from less than $1,500 in mid-December to nearly $5,500. Getting Asian cargoes to the Mediterranean is even costlier: almost $6,800, up from $2,400 in mid-December, according to the freight booking platform Freightos.

But things could be worse. At the height of supply chain backups two years ago, it cost $15,000 to ship a container from Asia to northern Europe and nearly $14,200 to take one from Asia to the Mediterranean.

“In terms of supply chain disruptions, we’re not even close to what was happening during the pandemic,” said Katheryn Russ, a University of California, Davis, economist.
Advertisement

In 2021 and 2022, American consumers, stir-crazy from COVID-19 lockdowns and armed with government relief checks, went on a spending spree, ordering furniture, sports equipment and other goods. Their orders overwhelmed factories, ports and freight yards, leading to delays, shortages and higher prices.

Things are different now. After that supply chain mess, shipping companies expanded their fleets. They have more ships to cope with shocks.

“The market is in a state of overcapacity,” said Judah Levine, Freightos’ head of research, “which happens to be a good thing. There should be enough capacity to accommodate this disruption.”

Global demand also has cooled off — partly because the U.S. Federal Reserve and other central banks have raised interest rates to combat inflation and partly because China’s powerhouse economy is sputtering. Inflation has come down over the past year and a half, though it’s still higher than central banks would like.

“There are really big forces bringing down inflation,” said Russ, who was a White House economic adviser in the Obama administration. “It’s hard to see (the Red Sea disruption) would substantially muck up the declines in inflation that we’ve been seeing beyond a tenth of a percentage point here and there.”
Advertisement

Many companies say they have yet to see meaningful impact. Retailer Target TGT, +0.25%, for instance, said most of its products don’t pass through the Suez Canal and was “confident in our ability to get guests the products they want and need.”

BMW BMW, +1.15% said: “All lights are green… our factory supplies are secure.” Norwegian fertilizer giant Yara said it was “only mildly impacted by the transit challenges in the Red Sea.”

Carlos Tavares, CEO of automaker Stellantis STLA, +0.28% STLAM, +0.53%, has said: “So far, it’s OK. Things are moving well.”

The respite may not last. If shippers avoid the Suez Canal for a year, Flexport CEO Petersen warned, “it’s a really big deal.” The higher costs would lead to “goods inflation of 1 to 2%.”

Jan Hoffmann, a U.N. shipping expert, warned Thursday that Red Sea shipping snags posed a risk to global food security by slowing the distribution of grain to parts of Africa and Asia, which depend on wheat from Europe and the Black Sea area.

It would be even worse if the Middle East conflict widens and drives up oil prices, which are now lower than they were the day before Hamas attacked Israel on Oct. 7.

For now, companies are muddling through.

Retailer Urban Outfitters’ URBN, -0.28% Free People subsidiary imports clothing from India and is shipping “a lot of that through air,” co-president Frank Conforti said at an investors’ conference this month. But it’s too costly to put furniture and household goods on planes.

At least home goods aren’t as “fashion-sensitive” as clothing, Conforti said, so losing 15 days “sailing down the tip of Africa isn’t the end of the world.”

Last edited by TGMT²; 02-08-2024 at 08:41 PM. Reason: triple posting
Old 01-27-2024
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,938 Times in 8,229 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%
Default Re: Sea mail issues from China (Red Sea Crisis)

Quote:
. I'm wary of buying season sensitive items, with such an uncertain shipping time currently.
Smart to be wary
Old 01-27-2024
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent006140 View Post
why dont you ask your supplier,he would know more.
Old 01-27-2024

Longevity: 20%

Maybe ask other shipping agents or suppliers too
Old 01-27-2024
Threadstarter  

Exactly, which is precisely why I'm asking if any ebay sellers on here are having difficulties acquiring stock from China, and at what scale.

I'm assuming this is an eBay discussion group. Given that, I'm also thinking it is likely there are

1) people in the discussion group who sell on ebay
2) people who acquire stock from China
Old 01-28-2024

Activity: 30%

Never heard of this seamail problem but why dont you get your supplier to ship via airmail,it not cost that much to send from china,there are huge amount of cargo planes between UK and china.are your product so heavy and large?
The Following User Says Thank You to 997turbo For This Useful Post:
agent006140 (01-28-2024)
Old 01-28-2024

Activity: 30%

what I read from news that Houthis will not targeting chinese cargo vessels but any western vessels may also carrying products from china too.so maybe this delay is real there.so better to choose air now.
Old 01-28-2024
Threadstarter  

Quote:

Who said she was a new seller?

I have been using her as a supplier for 17 years, and I owe her 2000 pounds.

Instead of trying to revel in the imagined misery of others, you could have either answered the question or remained quiet. There is a whiff of schadenfreude about you.
Old 01-28-2024
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997turbo View Post
what I read from news that Houthis will not targeting chinese cargo vessels but any western vessels may also carrying products from china too.so maybe this delay is real there.so better to choose air now.

yes there is definitely a delay, many UK retailers are reporting delays on the news channels. I was just wondering what scales other sellers maybe having. SOmetimes my suppliers delays sending things out if there is a spike in shippping rates, or it could be a delay caused by Houthi rebels. SO far noone has a clue, I've just got some American gloating at me. Profit margins are tight, so airmail not really feasible, and prices have shot up.
Old 01-28-2024
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
No need for this assumption
Old 01-28-2024
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
if it is something from China,I bet you can find them in local markets,you can buy from them or find a US seller who have those items,you may lose money but save your account from being suspended.
If OP has been doing business with this seller for 17 years, I would think it's not worth going elsewhere.

Not sure where the account being suspended comes in...unless OP is selling items with being able to deliver them...but this wasn't mentioned
Old 01-28-2024
Threadstarter  

Quote:
sorry,I misunderstand what she said,she said she is the only customer for this year,and she has been buying from them for 17 years.

Nevertheless,if a seller has been in business for that many years,he/she should be able to find out ,the fact he did not giver her tracking makes me ask if he has shipped the item yet?
In a normal situation that might be true, however, there is a Red Sea Crisis going on currently effecting shipping. Maybe it is not so relevant in North America if things are shipped via the Pacific normally. I only have 1 Chinese supplier.

There have been a few occasions where she has sent items before, where it took a while to get records. Sea shipping is excruciatingly slow. This time the delay is much longer than usual, which is why I asked for other traders current experience of shipping time. Don't forget, the news in China is restrictive. It is not a free country. It is a sensitive topic, as China supports the Gazans not Israel, they symapthise with the Houti rebels. In the UK it says some ships have stopped, and some are avoiding the Red Sea. The only thing the supplier has said is shipping is delayed, but working. Now she may be deliberately elusive on this point, but that's not really relevant is it? She's not ripping me off, she's either being elusive about shipping times given geopolitical events or simply doesn't know (likely),.
Old 01-28-2024
Threadstarter  

So it looks like the disruption is widespread and long lasting.

This is the key weakness of globalisation. Everytime there is a global crisis it disproportionately affects the trade of the countries that embrace it the most.