Ebay buyer protection limits - I got a warning - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 77%
Default Ebay buyer protection limits - I got a warning

(First post on this forum, so I apologize if its in the wrong forum). I buy and sell alot of items on ebay. Sometimes I am buying broken items and repairing, but mostly just buying and selling used items. I recently got a notice from Ebay that I am now a Power Seller Silver (meaning $10K per month in sales).

Most of my stock is purchased from ebay, electronics ranging in price from $150 to $600 or so. Sometimes they do not arrive and a claim needs to be filed. I purchase about $7000 per month or so.

Today I got the notice below. Any ideas what the limits are, in terms of cases or $ amount? I could not find them in any of the links. I do have another account, I suppose I could start doing my purchases from the other account.

---------------------------------------
To keep eBay safe, we regularly check account activity in the eBay Buyer Protection program. We're writing to let you know that your account is close to going over the limits for opening cases with sellers. This could be because of the number of cases you've opened, the dollar value of those cases, or other factors.

It's important that if you have a problem with an item, you first contact the seller and try to work things out. Cases shouldn't be opened if you receive the item (by the estimated delivery date) and the item matches the seller's description.

There are no changes to your account at this time. However, if a pattern of high case activity continues, you could be removed from eBay Buyer Protection or suspended from eBay.

You can review the eBay Buyer Protection policy here:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...rotection.html

Here's information that may help you with buying:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/basics.html

If you have any concerns or questions, click "Customer support" at the top of most eBay pages.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-22-2010
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,553 Times in 2,205 Posts
Activity: 55%
Longevity: 91%

First of all silver PS is $5000.

Second of all, it seems that you are the type of buyer who shoots first, think that you have all the power, thus you are the one who is always right.
So to summarize... an unwanted and unreasonable buyer.

I highly doubt there are THAT many sellers out there that won't ship you your goods.
Even IF you don't get the items, most sellers will take care of you if you have the right attitude. Things can happen beyond the seller's knowledge or control once items ship.

I mean c'mon, are you trying to say that you bought from 10 sellers and all of them or most don't send you your goods?

As much as I hate PP and their unreasonable policies, I'm on their side on this one.

Last edited by SaiJin; 11-22-2010 at 08:46 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SaiJin For This Useful Post:
Markk (11-22-2010), pod (11-22-2010)
Old 11-22-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Well Saijin's opinions aside, the e-mail seems to be self-explanatory. Seems you are opening a lot of cases and drawing unwanted attention. Maybe target your business model.

I won't judge anything and I can believe that if you pull in over 10k a month, you are bound to deal with issues both as buyer and as seller. You might have to stop opening up cases and, as Saijin has stated in many words, begin communicating with the sellers who aren't necessarily delivering to you on time, as described, etc.

Seems a simple solution to your problem. All the best.
Old 11-22-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Generally, eBay is more buyer friendly than seller friendly. They really want to be known as a safe place to buy merchandise.

Having said that, it costs eBay money to deal with these protection claims. Primarily in terms of someone's time that has to be spent processing and investigating them. So, just as eBay would rather not have sellers who generate these claims, they also appear to not want buyers who file more than X claims. X, of course, being a mystery number that eBay will never divulge.

The OP seems to claim that all (or the majority) of these cases were filed because the merchandise was never received. My question would be, do you at least attempt to contact the seller first to find out what is going on? Filing a buyer protection claim should not be your first option.

If you are already doing that, then it seems that maybe what you are buying attracts the scam artists who seem to populate eBay??? I have bought from many sellers over the years and rarely had a problem. In most cases an email fixed it. However, I don't buy in the volume the OP is talking about.

Last edited by jeffweico; 11-22-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-22-2010

Longevity: 80%

honestly if you file a bunch of claims it looks like your a scammer trying to scam sellers for free merchandise.Not saying you are but thats why they have these things

or are you the type of buyer who files a claim because its not there in 4-5 days?
Old 11-22-2010
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,553 Times in 2,205 Posts
Activity: 55%
Longevity: 91%

And about damn time they have "these things".

THe "Buyer is always right" phrase is nothing but BS crap
Old 11-22-2010

Longevity: 86%

Told you guys weeks ago....ebay definetly put in place "something" that stops "fraudulant" buyers from claiming items not received.....or the whole returning an empty box with delivery confirmation....this post is proof.....not saying that the threadstarter did any of this, but it is proof that ebay has put restrictions on the "buyer protection" nice to see someone shared it.
Old 11-22-2010
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 77%
Default Wow

Wow, how ironic, that on a forum that was created for people who have been suspended from Ebay, when I ask a simple question, I get accused of being a scammer and committing mail fraud, and apparently Ebay is right to kick me off.

I can only assume that all of you were justly kicked off ebay, and that's why you know I too must be a scammer.

I started writing a reply to defend myself and explain my 'business', but then I figured what's the point. I came here for information and advice, but if people think I'm a crook, the advice would obviously be suspect.

What a friendly forum you guys have created!
Old 11-22-2010
Executive [VIP]

There are still bad sellers, sure

But somethings not right if you are filing too many claims. No way you just happen to buy off that many bad sellers [Especially in today's eBay environment]

I'm sure in some cases you had to do what you had to do. But I'm also sure in many you hit the panic button too soon maybe?

The claim system is there when you get screwed. Not to put pressure on the seller. And there is a difference.

I had a buyer once file a claim on day 8 with a note "don't worry. I will release this when I get item. I do it with all my purchases when they hit a week"... Thats not what the claim system is for. And I for one am glad they put a limit on too many
Old 11-22-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pod View Post
I had a buyer once file a claim on day 8 with a note "don't worry. I will release this when I get item. I do it with all my purchases when they hit a week"... Thats not what the claim system is for. And I for one am glad they put a limit on too many
I agree. eBay now takes opened claims into consideration for Powerseller/TRS status. I don't care about the little badge, but that 20% discount on fees is a real benefit.

One buyer sent me a message through eBay asking if I could have an item shipped right away, as she needed it in 4 days for a birthday present. I told her that I would ship immediately, but that i could NOT guarantee four day delivery. She bought the item, and I shipped it. The next day, she emailed me and told me that she really hopes it arrives in time, because she would hate to have to file a claim with eBay over it.

I kept it professioal, but at that point, I really wanted to slap the s**t out of that spoiled, whiney, entitled, discount seeking BEE OTCH.

Now, I am NOT suggesting that the OP is acting in this manner.

To the OP, if you are still looking at this thread, please don't take these things personally. My advice is to analyze what you are doing and see if there is anything you could do differently to avoid this in the future. Obviously, you cannot control the seller. And if the seller is a scam artist, then they certainly deserve to have a claim opened against them. But as other members have pointed out, it just is NOT NORMAL to have that many problems buying on eBay.
Old 11-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefarn View Post
Wow, how ironic, that on a forum that was created for people who have been suspended from Ebay, when I ask a simple question, I get accused of being a scammer and committing mail fraud, and apparently Ebay is right to kick me off.

I can only assume that all of you were justly kicked off ebay, and that's why you know I too must be a scammer.

I started writing a reply to defend myself and explain my 'business', but then I figured what's the point. I came here for information and advice, but if people think I'm a crook, the advice would obviously be suspect.

Here is some advice: Before you buy something from a seller, email and ask if they ship with delivery confirmation or some sort of confirmation so that you feel comfortable purchasing. In reality if you were "burned" that many times, why have you not thought of that one yourself.
Old 11-24-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefarn View Post

We're known for being friendly. It's something we do very well.

But when we get a 'Noob' come along and goes over the top, is self-righteous, the welcome mat does not always stay out.
You were NOT accused of being a scammer.
It was said that you SEEM to be a miserable buyer Ooops, miserable is my word..

Now here's a funny, funny thing. I like funny things. We had another user come along with a story like yours. His purpose was to be disruptive. For the moment I'll assume stuff too. You assumed about us so it's only fair we do the same.

I think you are a WUM.(Wind Up Merchant). But since we are fair AND friendly, send me a pm with your ebay user ID. If it's Ok, we'll be friends together.
Thread closed until further notice