Second Chance Offers - Use Them? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 06-04-2007

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 99%
Default Second Chance Offers - Use Them?

What do you think about offering second chance offers to buyers? Do they work for you, or do most just ignore it (I guess they think it's a scam? ) and how long do you offer the second chance for/when to offer it (are weekdays better than weekends for example)? I was thinking one day might be good to create urgency, but on the other hand, not all users are on every single day. Still it's probably not good to give them TOO much time to think it over, especially on weekends. So what works best for you and seems "just right"?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 06-04-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What do you think about offering second chance offers to buyers? Do they work for you, or do most just ignore it (I guess they think it's a scam? ) and how long do you offer the second chance for/when to offer it (are weekdays better than weekends for example)? I was thinking one day might be good to create urgency, but on the other hand, not all users are on every single day. Still it's probably not good to give them TOO much time to think it over, especially on weekends. So what works best for you and seems "just right"?
HAHA, I just did about 25 second chance offers just now!! I always do that, it is like a guarenteed sale for the most part.. I usually do a 3 day second chance so they will have 3 days to accept it. Sometimes i do 1 days..

Second chance works for me alot!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-04-2007
Threadstarter  

Sounds like you've got the system down to a science there CPU

Do you usually offer the second chance right after the original auction or wait a few hours/maybe a day even so they'll realize they didn't win and know they want it? I don't want to wait too long or they might find another to bid on.

What if you see two similar items, one ends in say a day and a half, the other in 2 1/2 days, both doing well. Would you say opt for the full 3 days second chance in that case, or probably better to have it end before the first auction even ends? Also, say you have another of your own auctions that ends in 5 days, would you still opt for 3 days in that case, or probably better to not have the best offer end close to your other auction ending?

And lastly, do you email the bidder first to let them know you're sending a second chance, or just send it and hope they'll realize it's not a scam?
Old 06-04-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Sounds like you've got the system down to a science there CPU

Do you usually offer the second chance right after the original auction or wait a few hours/maybe a day even so they'll realize they didn't win and know they want it? I don't want to wait too long or they might find another to bid on.

What if you see two similar items, one ends in say a day and a half, the other in 2 1/2 days, both doing well. Would you say opt for the full 3 days second chance in that case, or probably better to have it end before the first auction even ends? Also, say you have another of your own auctions that ends in 5 days, would you still opt for 3 days in that case, or probably better to not have the best offer end close to your other auction ending?

And lastly, do you email the bidder first to let them know you're sending a second chance, or just send it and hope they'll realize it's not a scam?
I just send the second chance offer right away or whenever I get to it. i usually dont compare it too other live auctions.. I just send out the second chance offers and if they buy it they buy it, if not oh well.
Old 06-04-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPUGEEK View Post
HAHA, I just did about 25 second chance offers just now!! I always do that, it is like a guarenteed sale for the most part.. I usually do a 3 day second chance so they will have 3 days to accept it. Sometimes i do 1 days..

Second chance works for me alot!!!!!!!!!
Then do you purposefully list things really cheap then? Coz I do it and it worked great, until now I get a lot ofbuyers being suspcious as to why it's so low (my starting bid)
Old 06-05-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatebay View Post
Then do you purposefully list things really cheap then? Coz I do it and it worked great, until now I get a lot ofbuyers being suspcious as to why it's so low (my starting bid)
I hate when buyers say why do you start so low. im like damn because its auction and the price will go up.. I always start my items out at the price that I have to pay for the item.
Old 06-05-2007

haha, yea I know it bothers me so much... I just tell them that I believe in the market setting the true value.

good thing we don't sell the same things haha
Old 06-05-2007
Threadstarter  

Yeah, seems the lower your price (and feedback) the more suspicious they can be too. Makes me wonder if you will clear more in the end by not trying to get a lot of bids, just maybe a couple and start higher. At least until feedback evens out for new accounts. Anyone else have an opinion on the 3 days vs 1 day second chance?
Old 06-05-2007

I'm so pissed off the past week because ya know, 4 of my accounts were suspended. And I've been thinking WHY because there are like 400 other people selling the same thing as I am, and they are fine. And, I was thinking too that is must be because on my newer ID's with 1-6 feedbacks I was starting them at $1.00 with no reserve so it might of caused suspicion.

Whatever, I will try it again to list all the items at $150 instead and see if I get suspended.

I'll just have to sacrifice this 2nd chance off thing
Old 06-12-2007

Longevity: 98%

I find that second chance offers usually only work for me on less expensive items. I usually only do one day offers to create urgency, but I figure that they get the email from ebay in their regular email. I sell mainly digital items, and I'll see a user bid on a particular item for the minimum amount, or close to it, and not win. I send them a second chance offer, they don't take it, but when the item is relisted, they'll bid the same amount. Maybe I should try three day.
Old 06-12-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueseller View Post
I find that second chance offers usually only work for me on less expensive items. I usually only do one day offers to create urgency, but I figure that they get the email from ebay in their regular email. I sell mainly digital items, and I'll see a user bid on a particular item for the minimum amount, or close to it, and not win. I send them a second chance offer, they don't take it, but when the item is relisted, they'll bid the same amount. Maybe I should try three day.
Most buyers think second chance offers is scams thanx to ebay. They just want to make more money by relisting the item
Old 06-13-2007

Longevity: 98%

Ive noticed that those with simple descriptions, poor pictures no backgrounds or html knowledge have their listing untroubled. But the more professional your listing looks the more likely the VERO member thinks your a major league player and concentrate their guns on YOU. Thats the only logic I can find
Old 06-13-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollock2ebay View Post
Ive noticed that those with simple descriptions, poor pictures no backgrounds or html knowledge have their listing untroubled. But the more professional your listing looks the more likely the VERO member thinks your a major league player and concentrate their guns on YOU. Thats the only logic I can find
Thats very true. I agree. I did a test on that theory and it was true. Vero goes after professional low feedback listings...

I even put int he auction that my shoe is authentic and to look at my feedback. and I also put in the listing a notice to the ebay and vero team and it something like this..

Attention Ebay and vero team.
I do not represent the name xxx nor do I claim to be an representive of the trademark xxx. I offer no warranty and am simply selling some items that was bought from an authorize xxx store that I no longer want ...

They never veroed me again since I put that in my auctions and made my auctions simple. And I did this after I was veroed for the same item..
Old 12-15-2009

Longevity: 85%

I have some items that are selling pretty high right now. Does anyone know if it is a red flag to send second chance offers?
Old 12-15-2009

In my experience it is fine on an established account, not so good on a new one.

CaptainJack
The Following User Says Thank You to captainjack1980 For This Useful Post:
jamblix (02-25-2010)
Old 12-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjack1980 View Post
In my experience it is fine on an established account, not so good on a new one.

CaptainJack
Would you consider an established account to be around for a few months, or one that has more than 100 feedback?
Old 12-15-2009

yes, ideally both

1+ month old and 50+ selling feedback is a good base to work from.

CaptainJack.
Old 12-15-2009

Longevity: 88%

I always offer 2nd chance offers. I do 3 days. I have it set that anyone who bids and don't win is sent a 2nd chance. 7 out of 10 will do it. I also have the vero disclaimer - not sure if it helps - I only list vero 2x a months to help with the first of the month bills.
Old 02-04-2010

Longevity: 82%

Ha, so you guys are automatically sending out second chance offers on all or most of your auctions? So let's say you have 1 "widget" for sale. It gets 30 bids and makes its way up to $100. You invoice the winner, and then send out multiple 2nd chance offers to the other bidders (of course provided their bid is high enough you want to sell the item).

That means you get 2...3...4 or more sales from a single auction? Doesn't eBay have problems with that?
Old 02-05-2010

Longevity: 93%
Default 2nd chances are the best

i always send second chance offers. best time to do it is the instant the item finishes as most bids are made in the last minute and the bidders are usually still on line. i probably make more with 2nd chances than regular sales (at least 2 sometimes up to 6 per item). Instead of making $100 from 1 item can make around $500... also no listing fees only final value. I use 1 day as it creates a sense of urgency... works a treat...
Old 02-05-2010

I have sucessfully used 2nd chance offers on low key items. I usually put something like "I have a few more of these left & I don't feel like relisting them so if you are still interested you got the deal of a lifetime" and the buyers jump right in. Sometimes even several days after the item closes.
Old 02-06-2010

i always jump on second chance offers myself. they usually work most of the time. they are free too minus the final sale fee, of course.