Should I give this buyer a refund? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 10-06-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 61%
Default Should I give this buyer a refund?

Hello I have an issue and would like some help.

A couple of days ago I sold an electronics item on ebay.

When the user got the item he send me an messaged saying that a feature on the item was not working and that he would like to send it back and get a full refund.

I figured that the item must have been damaged during shipment as it was working perfectly when I sent it out.

The listing said no refunds accepted however I did state in the description that the item was fully functional. I wrote him back saying that I will give him a full refund if he sends the item back.

Well, today he messages me again saying that he attempted to fix the problem (firmware reset, re calibration etc...) but failed and that the device no longer powers on and that he would like the refund. (it was powering on and working before except for that one feature)

What should I do? Technically the item was not as described however he bricked it after he received it. Is he entitled to a refund?

I did all the communication through ebay so there is a track record of this.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 10-07-2013
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 98%
Default Re: Should I give this buyer a refund?

I highly suspect that if you don't give him a refund he'll just open a case and get it that way. Just my two cents. Maybe someone else will have better advice.
Old 10-07-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,021 Times in 709 Posts
Longevity: 75%

I would have him return it and issue a refund.
Be sure to record the opening of the box when you get it from your carrier.

BUT, If you want to fight..

A few things to consider...

How much was the item worth? Under a certain amount, you might just want him to return it and eat the loss.

Is it worth the possibility of getting a negative/having a case open?

He broke it and wants to return it, typical ebay trickster. you could let ebay know about this since he admitted it....BUT You could have your account scrutinized if you raise too much of a fuss.

He still might win/ will most likely win.

Pros and cons to it, but the cons outweigh the pros.

Good luck.
Old 10-07-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,927 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude123 View Post
Hello I have an issue and would like some help.

A couple of days ago I sold an electronics item on ebay.

When the user got the item he send me an messaged saying that a feature on the item was not working and that he would like to send it back and get a full refund.

I figured that the item must have been damaged during shipment as it was working perfectly when I sent it out.

The listing said no refunds accepted however I did state in the description that the item was fully functional. I wrote him back saying that I will give him a full refund if he sends the item back.

Well, today he messages me again saying that he attempted to fix the problem (firmware reset, re calibration etc...) but failed and that the device no longer powers on and that he would like the refund. (it was powering on and working before except for that one feature)

What should I do? Technically the item was not as described however he bricked it after he received it. Is he entitled to a refund?

I did all the communication through ebay so there is a track record of this.
How big is the cost involved?

He is likely to open a case - you could submit proof that he tinkered with it and you MIGHT win ...but chances are pretty big that eB will always side with the buyer.

Just some info to help you with your decision
Old 10-07-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,198 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 28%
Longevity: 63%

Depending on the cost of the item I would just offer him a full refund and eat the loss
Old 10-07-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%

I think the consensus is.......Give money back, get your item back.
Old 10-07-2013
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

Depends on the price. If it is costly I would pay to have it return but make it clear that since you messed with it I will make the decison once it comes back as it was working when it was shipped.

Hoping you might scare him into saying no I will keep it and move on.

If it does come back and he messed it up you might have some small chance ebat will take your side.
Old 10-08-2013
Threadstarter  

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

The item sold for just under half a grand so I would rather not take the hit.

I'm thinking of telling him that I will only accept the item back if he sends it to me the way he received it. That is fully functional except for that one feature. I have a track record of me offering him a refund and then him writing me that the item no longer works. If he opens up a dispute then so be it. The worst thing that will happen is he'll get a refund and I'll get my item back broken. I have a perfect ebay record so far except for one dispute that I won.

One more thing. Due to the way he writes and the amount of typos he makes, I suspect I might be dealing with a snot nosed kid. I don't know if that helps or hurts.
Old 10-08-2013
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 68%

Quote:
The listing said no refunds accepted however I did state in the description that the item was fully functional.
Just to add, you should know that stating no refunds in your listing doesn't absolve you from returns. The Buyer Protection program trumps anything you can post in the listing regarding returns.

Getting back to your particular case, I would also issue a refund upon return. The hassle of having an angry buyer is just not worth it to me.

In eBay's world, selling an item does not complete the transaction. Cases can be opened and returns can (and will) take place well after the transaction. Best of luck in your decision.
Old 10-08-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,927 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude123 View Post
If he opens up a dispute then so be it. The worst thing that will happen is he'll get a refund and I'll get my item back broken. I have a perfect ebay record so far except for one dispute that I won.
Good decision - prepare to fight it out then - "snot-nosed kid" hah
Old 10-08-2013
Threadstarter  

I wrote this guy a message saying that I will only give him a refund if he sends me the item back the way it was when he received it. Needless to say he didn't take it too well.

He claims he did a global reset of the device on the advice of a licences dealer and that that's what rendered it unable to boot. Mind you he did this after asking for a refund.

He will inevitably open a dispute if I don't do anything and something tells me that I am not going to win this one since the item was damaged on arrival.

So I narrowed it down to two options:

1- I bite the bullet, get my 500$ brick back and keep my clean record. I think if all he did was tinker with the firmware it might be easily fixable.

2- This might be a crazy idea but I was thinking of opening a dispute myself. If there is going to be one anyways maybe it would look better if I am the one who initiates it. I don't know if it's worth the risk thought because once again the item was not as described.

Tell me what you think.
Old 10-09-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Phone the kid and be sympathetic.... catch him off side if he is in fact immature.....

Few hinted words of fraud, false claims etc....

But be openly generous too.

The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBean For This Useful Post:
Sandy D (10-09-2013)
Old 10-09-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

It is always best to work it out if at all possible. Whenever eBay gets involved, you never know WHAT could happen. If it can be fixed, I would give the refund and just re-sell it, being certain to make sure the listing tells potential buyers the one feature does not work. Of course, that means it will sell for a lower price.

Sometimes, that is just the way the cookie crumbles in retail.
Old 10-09-2013

Longevity: 64%

I no longer believe anything a buyer tells me. I think if me I would try to offer a discount because I think it's working fine and he wants you to find your weak spot. If I sold something that costs that much I would make damn sure I had it identified somehow to make sure you are getting back what you sent. You could always say that if you do get it back and suspect that. If he won't negotiate tell him to send it back before you do anything.

I get this at least once a week and always have to ask myself is it worth loosing everything I have invested in the account to loose it from a jackass like this. Just today I get an item back from somebody who said it was scratched. I have and friends checked it and NO scratch anywhere. At least I can resell but I ask myself why? I'm only out the $3.50 shipping. I actually win for a change.

I have had to really take all the emotion out of EB & PP customer decisions and always ask how that serves me?
The Following User Says Thank You to joesshooze For This Useful Post:
LilyPily (10-23-2013)
Old 10-21-2013
Threadstarter  

Quick update

I finally caved and gave the guy a refund. He paid for the shipping. I got the item today, it didn't work like he said.

Good news is I managed to fix it in no time and it's running like it always did.

I'm seriously reconsidering selling such expensive items on ebay. Any buyer can technically get a refund by sabotaging the item and saying that "it was not as described". Prior to making this threat it I wasn't aware that ebay was so biased towards the buyer.
Old 10-22-2013
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 63%

yea for any item that i sell thats really expensive Im going to video tape the whole process of me mailing it off to avoid them saying the box was empty or the item didnt work.
Old 10-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiSix View Post
yea for any item that i sell thats really expensive Im going to video tape the whole process of me mailing it off to avoid them saying the box was empty or the item didnt work.
How are you going to get the whole process? Who says that the box you sent out, is in fact the box that got to the seller? Who says you didn't have it returned right away? You get my point.
Old 10-23-2013
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 9%
Longevity: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by james13v View Post
How are you going to get the whole process? Who says that the box you sent out, is in fact the box that got to the seller? Who says you didn't have it returned right away? You get my point.
You probably can't. But if you have enough sales and reputation and do this I am sure it is received as goodwill by eBay/PayPal.
Old 10-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogeltron View Post
You probably can't. But if you have enough sales and reputation and do this I am sure it is received as goodwill by eBay/PayPal.
I've bent over backwards for ebay and paypal. They, don't care.
The Following User Says Thank You to james13v For This Useful Post:
BigCJ (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by james13v View Post
I've bent over backwards for ebay and paypal. They, don't care.
Over the years i have had dozens of items returned for refunds including : NEW Stihl chainsaws seized due to wrong fuel mixture. items robbed of their valuable parts, to name a couple, buyers lie steal and generally laugh in your face because they know ebay will side with them, I have had a buyer admit he broke a £200 item because he read the instructions wrong I called eb and pointed this out they said no problem escalate it to cs and quote his email,I did that and guess what? They went his way, he was allowed to keep the item and the cash, I have as we speak 6 cases open awaiting returns, I ask you this if we sold something and didn’t send it eb would remove us very swiftly, but buyers are allowed to buy things and not bother paying, some day it will all change, I have opened civil disputes and reclaimed through the courts ebay policies are not law, its middle class theft
Old 10-23-2013

Longevity: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogeltron View Post
Goodwill from eBay and PayPal? Surely you jest. I know one seller with 15000 feedbacks and 99% rating and they booted him in June. He has since built his own website emailed all his past customers and told them where to find him. I haven't sold on eb since February. I refuse to be subjected to the absolute BS they dish out. It's not like they are providing a free service either. For the fees they get they should at least treat us in a professional manner. It was really a toss-up as to who was worse. Idiot customers/scammers or eb customer service. Though to be fair CS are only puppets taking orders from the braindead executives. Their day will come. Might be 3 years, might be 10 but they will implode eventually.