Clothing Sellers Volume - Page 2 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 01-04-2015
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 53%
Default Re: Clothing Sellers Volume

I only have 61 items for sale right now and 35 of them are accessories. I don't have any vintage on ebay anymore. I was selling on etsy but the sales are so sporadic. I am really thinking about separating vintage vrs contemporary on my new stealth accounts. I feel like vintage on ebay is like a drop of water in the ocean. And after using the madmen description i am kind of scared about what words I can use to describe things.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-04-2015

Activity: 26%
Longevity: 58%

I can't say the name of the brand or you'd be able to know my account. I just sold a pair of jeans for the highest used price in the last 3 months on eBay and had best offer included.

I put the price for 69.95 w/ best offer and ended up selling them for $46. Funny thing is even though the pants are in great shape they have a white stain on them...

Ended up having 4 offers and told them I was sending the same offer to all 4 bidders, whoever acts first gets the pants.

These jeans had a snakeskin inspired look which if you know clothing sells typically good on eBay. Anything that makes you look twice at typically sells on eBay. I've sold some of the most outrageous looking clothes for really good profit. Its those clothes you get the best profit on.

For instance even though I myself didn't sell any ...

Sellers were selling "ugly christmas sweaters" anywhere from $35 to $100 up until the new years! I mean the listing stated "ugly christmas sweaters" and people bought these sweaters like they were going out of style! The sellers most likely bought the sweaters at goodwills/salvation army for $5! Easy profit..haha.

Last edited by solefoodbk; 01-04-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-04-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnu View Post
Do you guys find auctions or BIN or BIN w/ Offer best for clothing? I kind of mix it up.
Auctions mostly.
Old 01-04-2015
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

I can't say the name of the brand or you'd be able to know my account. I just sold a pair of jeans for the highest used price in the last 3 months on eBay and had best offer included.

I put the price for 69.95 w/ best offer and ended up selling them for $46. Funny thing is even though the pants are in great shape they have a white stain on them...

Ended up having 4 offers and told them I was sending the same offer to all 4 bidders, whoever acts first gets the pants.

These jeans had a snakeskin inspired look which if you know clothing sells typically good on eBay. Anything that makes you look twice at typically sells on eBay. I've sold some of the most outrageous looking clothes for really good profit. Its those clothes you get the best profit on.

For instance even though I myself didn't sell any ...

Sellers were selling "ugly christmas sweaters" anywhere from $35 to $100 up until the new years! I mean the listing stated "ugly christmas sweaters" and people bought these sweaters like they were going out of style! The sellers most likely bought the sweaters at goodwills/salvation army for $5! Easy profit..haha.

I know where i am they have stands downtown selling those sweaters for parties
Old 01-05-2015
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 9%
Longevity: 66%

Quote:
Do you guys find auctions or BIN or BIN w/ Offer best for clothing? I kind of mix it up.
Lots of variables. Brand, time of year (shorts, jackets, etc). Lots of factors. I do mostly BIN. I have found when I can get items in multiple sizes and do a multi variation listing it boosts sales big times.

It kinda something were every seller will have their own preference. Clothing is much different than others products sold on eBay.
Old 01-05-2015

I personally see no point to doing auctions with clothes unless its a rare item. Unless you dont want to stock up on inventory (which makes sense) BIN is by far the most profitable on eBay. Some high volume sellers do do auctions though so there must be something to it, its not for me though.

You also get different customers. I've found when you have BIN you have WAY less headaches from scammers, or bad apples. Most of the time if they BIN they have 100% intent on purchasing the item. Thats not always the case sadily with auctions. Especially with high end brands like versace.

Last edited by solefoodbk; 01-05-2015 at 03:45 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to solefoodbk For This Useful Post:
luverlyjuberly (01-05-2015)
Old 01-05-2015
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

I personally see no point to doing auctions with clothes unless its a rare item. Unless you want you don't want to stock up on inventory (which makes sense) BIN is by far the most profitable on eBay. Some high volume sellers do do auctions though so there must be something to it, not for me though.
___

Thanks for your input. I am still trying to work out the kinks. I noticed when I do auctions sometimes people buy and when I do a bin it sits for a long time. The items that I used to make a lot on are not the same as even last year. Anyways, I like talking to clothing people because we are going through the same thing. Its different than the people who sell bulk or wholesale items. Both have their challenges I know.
Old 01-05-2015

Quote:
I personally see no point to doing auctions with clothes unless its a rare item. Unless you want you don't want to stock up on inventory (which makes sense) BIN is by far the most profitable on eBay. Some high volume sellers do do auctions though so there must be something to it, not for me though.
___

Thanks for your input. I am still trying to work out the kinks. I noticed when I do auctions sometimes people buy and when I do a bin it sits for a long time. The items that I used to make a lot on are not the same as even last year. Anyways, I like talking to clothing people because we are going through the same thing. Its different than the people who sell bulk or wholesale items. Both have their challenges I know.
You build up inventory. Its a investment. Once you have a large enough inventory you'll see sales increase over time. I'm still building my inventory! I like to have anywhere from 500-750 clothes running daily. Thats alot considering I'm obviously selling my current clothing daily.

If your serious about selling clothes, its a investment. Once you have the inventory in place you can afford to list your items for high and let them sit, they WILL sell eventually. The thing is when you have over 200 items listed, chances are you'll see more and more sales.

Once you get over the hump of having that inventory in place, you really can see GOOD money from clothes! Obviously you gotta know your stuff though. Studying ebay is key. The market ALWAYS changes. What might have been popular last month, isn't this month...(like ugly christmas sweaters)

(i always have my phone handy when thrift shopping. Its impossible to know all brands and retain all that information. I always double check on ebay before I purchase. I triple check the condition because its VERY easy to miss subtle cosmetic flaws. Like a tiny hole, zipper not working, holes in pockets, stain under hood..those things can make your clothing worthless sometimes.

Last edited by solefoodbk; 01-05-2015 at 03:58 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to solefoodbk For This Useful Post:
nearnu (01-05-2015), vogeltron (01-05-2015), yankee (01-05-2015)
Old 01-05-2015
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

You build up inventory. Its a investment. Once you have a large enough inventory you'll see sales increase over time. I'm still building my inventory! I like to have anywhere from 500-750 clothes running daily. Thats alot considering I'm obviously selling my current clothing daily.

If your serious about selling clothes, its a investment. Once you have the inventory in place you can afford to list your items for high and let them sit, they WILL sell eventually. The thing is when you have over 200 items listed, chances are you'll see more and more sales.

Once you get over the hump of having that inventory in place, you really can see GOOD money from clothes! Obviously you gotta know your stuff though. Studying ebay is key. The market ALWAYS changes. What might have been popular last month, isn't this month...(like ugly christmas sweaters)

Thanks for the advice. I am going to shift from only the really high end designer items to more mid range items as well. I honestly wish I would get more Canadian Buyers. The shipping is my one area like most people I think that is holding me back a bit.
Old 01-05-2015
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Do you think its a good idea to separate the designer items and the mid level ones to different accounts, or vintage separate. I don't know if that really matters or if makes the difference to buyers.
Old 01-05-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefoodbk View Post
I personally see no point to doing auctions with clothes unless its a rare item. Unless you dont want to stock up on inventory (which makes sense) BIN is by far the most profitable on eBay. Some high volume sellers do do auctions though so there must be something to it, its not for me though.

You also get different customers. I've found when you have BIN you have WAY less headaches from scammers, or bad apples. Most of the time if they BIN they have 100% intent on purchasing the item. Thats not always the case sadily with auctions. Especially with high end brands like versace.
I would disagree. Some heat of the moment sports related items. Jerseys shirts hats can play to the emotion. Sometimes deserving auction. But in general I would side with you. Fixed price is the way to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to vogeltron For This Useful Post:
solefoodbk (01-05-2015)
Old 01-05-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:

(i always have my phone handy when thrift shopping. Its impossible to know all brands and retain all that information. I always double check on ebay before I purchase. I triple check the condition because its VERY easy to miss subtle cosmetic flaws. Like a tiny hole, zipper not working, holes in pockets, stain under hood..those things can make your clothing worthless sometimes.
I agree 100%. Clothing many times is a patience game. The value is more consistent in many cases opposed to things like electronics which are hot potato in many cases. Each category has it own issues. Clothing is definitely rough. Until I find the magic product this is a large percentage of the items I deal with.
Old 01-05-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,927 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Do you think its a good idea to separate the designer items and the mid level ones to different accounts, or vintage separate. I don't know if that really matters or if makes the difference to buyers.
Will appeal to different buyers
Old 01-05-2015

Quote:
I have specific accounts that tailor to certain clothing. My accounts names I try to make look as profressional as possible. Nothing like aa443, or clothinghut321.
Haha..

I would defiantly seperate the clothing. In the long run you will build a customer base if you sell enough of the item(s), and provide great customer service. Relook at how you package to. Clothing should be one of the easiest things to package on ebay. It should also generally be one of the cheaper things to ship.
Old 01-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogeltron View Post
I agree 100%. Clothing many times is a patience game. The value is more consistent in many cases opposed to things like electronics which are hot potato in many cases. Each category has it own issues. Clothing is definitely rough. Until I find the magic product this is a large percentage of the items I deal with.
Its consistent though. The worst thing that can happen is having extra jackets if it comes summer, or as now I have shorts that won't sell because its winter. I'm just starting to see real profit come in.
Old 01-05-2015
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

How does everyone store their clothing? I live in a small apartment so I have plastic labelled bins. But I am assume if you are listing 700+ items you must have a system to keep it all accessible?
Old 01-05-2015

Longevity: 88%

Quote:
It depends on the item. Usually if its around 60+ I "think" about adding best offer. I usually only add best offer if I don't know the value of the actual clothing. So instead of selling it for super low I test the waters out...

Putting the price high enough that maybe a stupid buyer actually pays that amount (it happens) and then I include a best offer. It all depends what type of traffic the listing is getting to. If I have a decent amount of follows, and or have alot of clicks I generally remove the best offer...
I often start at a high price and then every week drop the price by £5 until it sells.
Old 01-05-2015

Quote:
How does everyone store their clothing? I live in a small apartment so I have plastic labelled bins. But I am assume if you are listing 700+ items you must have a system to keep it all accessible?
I don't have 700+ items, but ~100 right now; my girlfriend found a clothes rack with laundry bins being thrown out a few months ago. Something like this
Laundry Center - Rolling Chrome or White Laundry Center w/ Garment Rack from Neu Home | KitchenSource.com with a mesh platform on top.
I keep everything just folded up in the bins, nicer items on hangers, and jeans/misc on top folded up.
This was free though (leans a bit when you roll it ), I wouldn't invest in a bunch of these unless I was moving a LOT more clothes.

Maybe just an adjustable kitchen rack like http://image.ec21.com/image/vama365/...tchen_Rack.jpg

Or even a bunch of plastic milk crates? You can stack those up to the ceiling and just put a label on the outside for sizes, styles, etc...
Old 01-05-2015
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

I don't have 700+ items, but ~100 right now; my girlfriend found a clothes rack with laundry bins being thrown out a few months ago. Something like this
Laundry Center - Rolling Chrome or White Laundry Center w/ Garment Rack from Neu Home | KitchenSource.com with a mesh platform on top.
I keep everything just folded up in the bins, nicer items on hangers, and jeans/misc on top folded up.
This was free though (leans a bit when you roll it ), I wouldn't invest in a bunch of these unless I was moving a LOT more clothes.

Maybe just an adjustable kitchen rack like http://image.ec21.com/image/vama365/...tchen_Rack.jpg

Or even a bunch of plastic milk crates? You can stack those up to the ceiling and just put a label on the outside for sizes, styles, etc...

I am on the west coast and we have moths. Despite my mass killing of them and screens they somehow find a way in. So I have everything with pine sachets in plastic stackable bins. And i have them labelled I have about 8 Bins right now. I bought an industrial rack to hang to the clothing but I found bins more useful right now. Our place is small so I already have stuff everywhere. I really want to get my accounts selling more volume so I always have the money rolling in and items rolling out. I know this is going to take time now that I am just starting to be stealth. Eventually I want to move into a 2 bedroom and make one room dedicated to all my stock.
Old 01-06-2015

Longevity: 88%

I use one of these. Buy the right one and you can add height and a middle bar so have two rails to hang clothes on.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005XD249...I1LA97BQC9S1M8
The Following User Says Thank You to luverlyjuberly For This Useful Post:
rsot (01-06-2015)
Old 01-06-2015
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by luverlyjuberly View Post
I use one of these. Buy the right one and you can add height and a middle bar so have two rails to hang clothes on.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005XD249...I1LA97BQC9S1M8
Yah I buy as much as I can from a retail wholesaler in town. I am trying to decide what kind of steamer to get. I need to get some of my better stuff unwrinkled for photos.
Old 01-06-2015

Longevity: 55%

Quote:

Thanks for the advice. I am going to shift from only the really high end designer items to more mid range items as well. I honestly wish I would get more Canadian Buyers. The shipping is my one area like most people I think that is holding me back a bit.
Great tips, the only thing is to list the amounts you talk about here we first have to get our account limits up to these levels at a time when it is getting ridiculously difficult to even get beyond the £1900 limit!