Wall Street Rumors say eBay is About to be Sold - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 05-26-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 81%
Default Wall Street Rumors say eBay is About to be Sold

There are rumors floating around, coming from Wall Street that shortly after the PayPal spinoff, eBay will be bought out.

Nobody can say for sure it these rumors are true, but it WOULD be interesting. The two most talked about purchasers would be Yahoo or Alibaba. Others speculate that Etsy, Google or Microsoft could also be in the running. And a few people believe that eBay will be purchased by a private equity firm.

It would actually make sense for Yahoo or Alibaba to purchase eBay. Alibaba, because they are expanding already in America an desperately want to expand their holdings around the world. Yahoo makes sense because of the synergy between their search engine and eBay.

Somehow I don't see Etsy buying eBay, I just don't. Given Google's previous statements about not wanting to be in the online auction business, I don't see it happening, but who knows? And Microsoft? I don't see how it fits with their other businesses, but they undoubtedly have the cash to buy eBay if they so choose.

he ONE THING that frightens me is a sale to a private equity firm. They are NOTORIOUS for making major changes to businesses they purchase. Fees would undoubtedly increase, security could be stepped up and who knows what else could happen?

Keep in mind that these are just RUMORS, there is NO official announcement that eBay is considering selling itself.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-26-2015

Longevity: 55%
Default Re: Wall Street Rumors say eBay is About to be Sold

I definitely see Alibaba jumping on the purchase of eBay. I have no idea how they would implement both websites to work together though.
Old 05-26-2015
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobrockz View Post
I definitely see Alibaba jumping on the purchase of eBay. I have no idea how they would implement both websites to work together though.
I don't know that they would try to integrate the platforms any more than they integrated TaoBao with Alibaba. My thought was, would this give Chinese sellers an even BIGGER edge? They already have the edge on price and the government subsidizes their EMS postage costs. If eBay was owned by Alibaba, they could decide to give them an edge in their listing rankings as well.
Old 05-26-2015

Longevity: 53%

If there are rumors, then someone already let the cat out of the bag. These things usually having some weight to them....and I would say Alibaba is the purchaser. They are most likely already having talks regarding the purchase. Does this mean I can buy phakes and sell them now?
Old 05-26-2015
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Considering that Carl Ichan was involved in making the eBay/PayPal split a reality, I wouldn't be surprised if there was another deal in the works from the beginning, or at least some interest in a deal. That COULD be where the rumors are coming from and it WOULD make sense.
Old 05-26-2015

The typical buyer (someone who buys a few items online a year) would find eBay MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to buy from than Alibaba. Alibaba could purchase eBay as a way to expand and directly market to these types of buyers with their Chinese sellers.

IMO, eBay's user interface and overall BUYER experience is 100% better than Alibaba.

Old 05-26-2015
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

True, but Alibaba is not a retail site and they don't do direct sales. They are a site that introduces buyers to wholesale suppliers. AliExpress is for smaller quantity buyers, but it is still wholesale.

If Alibaba takes over eBay, I don't see them making a lot of changes. But they likely WOULD market it is a business opportunity to Chinese wholesalers.
Old 05-26-2015

Longevity: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
True, but Alibaba is not a retail site and they don't do direct sales. They are a site that introduces buyers to wholesale suppliers. AliExpress is for smaller quantity buyers, but it is still wholesale.

If Alibaba takes over eBay, I don't see them making a lot of changes. But they likely WOULD market it is a business opportunity to Chinese wholesalers.
eBay to Alibaba makes most sense, but my suspicion is that it would further cement eBay's reputation as the place to buy cheap plastic chinese ⊗⊗⊗⊗ stuff, and make it even more uncompetitive vs. Amazon. Also if Alibaba bought out eBay and started marketing it in China to sell direct to US consumers, they will be under a TON of pressure by non-chinese brand makers for selling ⊗⊗⊗⊗ stuff, because they won't be able to argue that they're just a marketplace anymore.
Old 05-26-2015

Quote:
I don't know that they would try to integrate the platforms any more than they integrated TaoBao with Alibaba.
There's just too many pitfalls integrating the two at least until they owned it for a few years. I mean think about it...every time someone got sold a chinese ⊗⊗⊗⊗, they would conjure up conspiracy theories that Alibaba condones selling of ⊗⊗⊗⊗ on eBay because they favor Chinese sellers.
Old 05-26-2015

Quote:
Somehow I don't see Etsy buying eBay, I just don't.
Well considering Etsy's market valuation is just over a billion, and eBay's market cap is 71 billion, it's not going to happen unless they partner with a deep pocket partner (yahoo?)
Old 05-26-2015
Executive [VIP]

EBAY CSR: Sir, where did you purchase these items?

EBAY Seller: Alibaba, your parent company

EBAY CSR: Yeah, these are probably knock offs. We have indefinitely suspended your account. You can no longer sell on EBAY but you can still buy whatever the hell you want. Have a nice day!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bjammin For This Useful Post:
Haidukken (05-28-2015), shop2015 (06-13-2015), wakitiwa (05-28-2015)
Old 05-26-2015

Ohhhh.. didn't even think about that. They would have to put something in place that would allow documents from "verified sellers" on Alibaba to pass eBay's BS system.
Old 05-26-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 78%

I wonder if Aspkin has enough money in his bank account to buy Ebay......
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MM78 For This Useful Post:
Callidus (05-26-2015), kittylove (05-27-2015)
Old 05-26-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,966 Posts
Activity: 10%
Longevity: 91%

jeffweico - you mentioned these are rumors. Where did you hear these? have you read anything? Just curious what source these rumors are coming from and if I can read those myself.
Old 05-26-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,197 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM78 View Post
I wonder if Aspkin has enough money in his bank account to buy Ebay......
I can chip in £5 if he is a bit short. Just want 10% of the company

Is there a link to these rumours? It would be ironic if eBay did get bought by Alibaba considering the history of the two companies.
Old 05-26-2015
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by slokor View Post
jeffweico - you mentioned these are rumors. Where did you hear these? have you read anything? Just curious what source these rumors are coming from and if I can read those myself.
A friend of mine is a trader on the NYSE. He knows I am heavily involved with eBay. He told me that there was a rumor of an eBay buyout in late 2014, and that recently the rumors have re-surfaced. He told me that some high level people from Alibaba have recently toured eBay HQ and that some people from Bain Capital have recently been there as well.
Old 05-26-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobrockz View Post
Ohhhh.. didn't even think about that. They would have to put something in place that would allow documents from "verified sellers" on Alibaba to pass eBay's BS system.
That is why ali wouldn't integrate with eBay...because they will be sued into oblivion by us vero rights holders if they were integrated, or they would have to police them for ⊗⊗⊗⊗ which will kill their Chinese business.
Old 05-26-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,244 Times in 705 Posts
Longevity: 79%

Quote:
A friend of mine is a trader on the NYSE. He knows I am heavily involved with eBay. He told me that there was a rumor of an eBay buyout in late 2014, and that recently the rumors have re-surfaced. He told me that some high level people from Alibaba have recently toured eBay HQ and that some people from Bain Capital have recently been there as well.
Very interesting indeed, thanks for sharing! I can definitely see them getting bought out now with the separation, but hopefully nothing major changes.
Old 05-26-2015

Longevity: 67%

I hope Google buy it
Old 05-26-2015

Longevity: 52%

I have a old friend who works for ebay and they have 2 warehouses that are built on the west and east end of the country in the US. It's to provide faster shipping for Chinese sellers due to the long wait.

There is a big change but he did not mention anything else to me or else he could lose the job. But from what I understood they will try to get rid of North American sellers since our prices are to high for customers and the Chinese will make all the money. There is a reason why paypal split as well. They won't tell you the big picture until it will happen. Amazon is ranked #1 and they want their customers back.

Google already pulled the plug last year on ebay for horrible SEO work done to the site. Amazon has so much traffic it makes ebay compete with etsy at this point.
Old 05-26-2015

Longevity: 57%

Quote:

Don't make the mistake of thinking Aliexpress is wholesale. You see the same Aliexpress sellers selling the same products on Ebay for often the same price.
Old 05-26-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandleww View Post
Don't make the mistake of thinking Aliexpress is wholesale. You see the same Aliexpress sellers selling the same products on Ebay for often the same price.
Prices aren't the same if you buy in bulk.....