Responding to complaint by calling buyer? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 11-05-2015

Activity: 28%
Longevity: 58%
Default Responding to complaint by calling buyer?

Hey so I just had a buyer complain that the item I sent him was incorrect size and color did not match the pictures.

So basically both complaints are subjective being the size was correct and the color was listed as "multi", not much I can do on my end. So he gave me options how I would like to proceed which in all honesty got me irritated. I will happily refund him but he want's me to pay shipping, not going to happen. He's a 3 feedback buyer so I know what he's trying to do...

I just left a voicemail on his phone. My thinking is its a kid and its like a landline that I just called. What are your thoughts and do you EVER call a buyer instead of just messaging them?

I did act professional, but I was firm in my statements.

AND .......

His name is his initials (I think) which also leads me to believe hes a scammer, maybe maybe not.

Last edited by solefoodbk; 11-05-2015 at 04:00 PM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-05-2015
Administrator

Thanked 1,568 Times in 861 Posts
Longevity: 91%
Default Re: Responding to complaint by calling buyer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefoodbk View Post
What are your thoughts and do you EVER call a buyer instead of just messaging them?
Yes, I call about 90% of the time. But this tactic should only be used for sellers with a gift of gab.

Calling lets the customer know that a real person sold them the item, and unless the are just a miserable person then working out the problem is easy.

Note: I don't bother calling if they have already filed a request, there's no point after that.
The Following User Says Thank You to TGMT² For This Useful Post:
solefoodbk (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015
Threadstarter  

Thank you TGMT, I respect your opinion.

I might start doing this more regularly.
The Following User Says Thank You to solefoodbk For This Useful Post:
TGMT² (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 52%

I used to call people on Amazon all the time, to get negative feedback removed. Most of the time people were just frustrated and wanted a way to lash out. They didn't realize there was a real human being who was affected by their published opinion, who's sole source of income was negatively impacted by their actions. I got every single feedback removed using this method over a period of years, and there were over a dozen. I was fortunate to never run into any scammers, but this was on Amazon, not eBay. Also, negative feedback and money back are two different things, so take this with a grain of salt...
The Following User Says Thank You to GhostOfAmazon For This Useful Post:
solefoodbk (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015
Threadstarter  

You said "used to", why? Do you not call anymore????

It worked!!!

He left me positive feedback.

Success!
Old 11-06-2015
Threadstarter  

I think part of it is I just overreact sometimes because I guard my accounts from negatives like a mom with her kid haha. I figure for every possible negative I save I also saved myself from loosing (x) amount of money. When my accounts reach TRS and have sustain 100% feedback, my sales grow extremely fast compared to newer accounts with so so feedback.

I had a thread about "confronting a customer in person" but this works 10x better. Of course I can remain stealth and its simply just a conversation. And I do think people don't realize how much negatives can impact our daily lives. The power a simple decision can have....
Old 11-06-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,244 Times in 705 Posts
Longevity: 79%

Quote:

It worked!!!

Success!
Ha awesome, will have to try this!
Old 11-06-2015

Longevity: 49%

My selling model is likely a bit different but there is a learning curve with the items I sell and they are easy to screw up. I send a thorough manual detailing operation of my items and have my phone number prominently displayed in it and highly encourage my buyers to call me for any reason.

I do get calls on occasion and head of any potential problems with superb customer service and my charming personality!

I definitely feel that having a vocal conversation with a potential problem buyer is the way to go. I am lucky though that my buyers are generally older and not usually of the scamming type.

I have never needed to reach out and call a buyer though as they always call me but I would if I needed to.
Old 11-06-2015
Threadstarter  

Say its a new buyer with under like 50 feedback...

I think by calling them your catching them off guard and it may create the illusion that we have more power than we do. Not all buyers know they can dictate basically each purchase they make on eBay.

I was hestitant on calling but its stealth and away from eBay so its not like any information I say on the phone can be tracked by eBay. I'm going to do this more often. I've texted customers before which is okay with me but calling is faster and your able to express yourself, you can't via typing it.
Old 11-06-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:

It worked!!!

Success!
TBH, I would spend HOURS sometimes finding a working phone # for the buyer using sites like Spokeo, cross-referencing Facebook, etc etc etc. Often it would take me several calls and sometimes even Facebook messages or even personal letters to get one feedback removed. It just isn't worth the hassle and stress now that I have 7 different accounts up and running. If they want to leave negative feedback, screw them. I'm keeping the money and they can keep their feedback.
The Following User Says Thank You to GhostOfAmazon For This Useful Post:
solefoodbk (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015

Activity: 16%
Longevity: 70%

I never call my buyers if I can help it, like to have everything in writing
Old 11-06-2015
Threadstarter  

LMAO....

This guys 2 messages are priceless.

Long story short... he was most defiantly caught off guard by my call. His grammar somehow miraculously went from an F to A+ too.
Old 11-06-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Say its a new buyer with under like 50 feedback...

I think by calling them your catching them off guard and it may create the illusion that we have more power than we do. Not all buyers know they can dictate basically each purchase they make on eBay.

I was hestitant on calling but its stealth and away from eBay so its not like any information I say on the phone can be tracked by eBay. I'm going to do this more often. I've texted customers before which is okay with me but calling is faster and your able to express yourself, you can't via typing it.
On eBay it's a lot different. For one, you have a real phone # right off the bat, no work or detective work necessary. Even if the phone # isn't legit, you have a basis right there for feedback removal, due to eBay policy requiring ALL users have real, up to date info.

Then again, feedback on eBay is pretty much ignored by 95% of users, unlike on Amazon, where feedback is CRUCIAL from everything from Seller Performance to Buy Box to making sales...

So on the one hand, it's so easy to pick up the phone, but on the other, one feedback is really irrelevant unless your sales volume is VERY low.

Still, worth the shot given how little effort is required. On Amazon, you basically need to be a PI to get their phone #.