Changing your EBAY name, address, account details. Safe? What address to give EBAY? - Page 2 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion! > eBay Suspensions

eBay Suspensions General issues related to eBay Suspensions. Mostly geared towards eBay.com.

Old 08-22-2007

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 99%

I've never had issues with Vero (knock on wood). I'm just concerned with whether you can modify your address on paypal and that the old information will be written over, not saved, by paypal. Once I know the answer to this, I'll be golden.

By linking, I mean to link your paypal account to your ebay account. Not just provide an email in your auction. There are some valid reasons for this, but not many, and several here will tell you not to. But it can be done, and for what I'm doing, it's a must.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-02-2007

Default Is it worth it/safe to change your ebay name? EBAY account details? Address?

Has anyone had any problems from ebay regarding changing your user id? Just found out one of my old usernames I thought was doomed has new life but I don't want to push it and I think a name change is in order. But only if it's safe.
Old 09-03-2007

Longevity: 96%

I got banned the last time within 30 days of changing my ID, but did so immeadiately after entering my login info into a spoof page that popped up. Couldn't figure out why I was being asked to login again so soon and went to hit the back button and none of those bars, url window, etc were there so I knew it was some sort of pop up spyware.
I don't think that it had anything to do with me getting banned though, I think that happened because I sent a fee payment through a previously banned acct's email that was still active on PP.
Old 09-03-2007

Longevity: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Has anyone had any problems from ebay regarding changing your user id? Just found out one of my old usernames I thought was doomed has new life but I don't want to push it and I think a name change is in order. But only if it's safe.
i changed my name to one that had nothing to do with my old one and I immediately got slammed! no idea why...
Old 09-03-2007

I think whether it be with ebay or users, there is a presumption of something clandestine when changing the user ID, which is why they make that fact known for 30 days.
Old 09-03-2007

As usual, ebay assumes everyone's guilty before proven innocent. What if you just woke up one day and decided you didn't like your user name anymore or that it doesn't give an accurate description of what you were selling? Oh no, they don't think of that

Well, as long as it doesn't result in a suspension I could give two rats what ebay thinks. I'm not planning on using this id for a good bit yet anyway.
Old 09-03-2007

So are you saying the name change likely had nothing to do with it or do you think it had a hand?
Old 09-03-2007

Bad day Modee? I missed that last part. Sue me.

Speaking of...whatever happened with the google checkout chargeback? Did they come for the money or pull a paypal and do nothing?
Old 09-03-2007

Default safe to change registered name on ebay?

hi,

May I ask if is it safe to change the registered name on file with ebay? I made a typo when signing up.

thank you
Old 09-03-2007
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modee View Post
On my first account, opening in early 2000, closed last year with 500 + feedback all positive, I did the following in the weeks before suspension:

1 - change my user ID
2 - jumped my volume from about $500. per week to almost $3000. per day
3 - started listing goods of a category I had not usually sold before. I had sold some, but not so much.

I think the combination of these things led to my suspension, but bottom line they suspended me because they deemed me a "high risk" account whatever that means, not because of anything I actually did.
Just out of curiosity, how would you feel about buying from a seller who's made 500 feedback or so out of trinkets or some low priced items, and then suddenly jumped to selling ipods and plasma tvs?

From reading your description of suspension I thought you'd be suspended for high risk or account take over, since it's very suspicious activity. A high risk suspension isn't hard to get back from -- just prove you have or have access to the bloody items you're selling. ebay isn't out to get you, they want to make money from you, but they also don't want to lose money paying out buyers who've gotten scammed from some guy who built up his feedback selling crap and is now selling really high priced items.
Old 09-03-2007

Sounds well and good on paper but not in practice. What does ebay always suggest? Start slow, build up your feedback, learn the ropes, sell "trinkets" and work up to the high dollar items later. I know if I just found a honey of a deal on something and had no practical use for it, I'd be looking to sell it off and we all know the "it" place for that is good 'ol ebay. For ebay to turn a blind eye to that philosophy--not to mention their "other" longterm policy about non-interference--is nothing short of hypocritical. As for returning from a high risk suspension easily...well, there are those on this forum and others who would greatly disagree with that statement, and many stories documented to prove it.
Old 09-03-2007
Banned

Jack, believe me but there's a big difference from selling keychains to suddenly jumping and selling multiple plasma TVs, then someone who establishes their account selling a few plasma TVs at a time and gradually ramps up their sales. The latter version is expected with a successful business, the former is most probably fraud.

There's also a difference between finding a killer deal on a TV somewhere or getting an ipod as a present and selling that on eBay, than suddenly selling 20 identical TVs using stock information and no pickup allowed. Get where I'm coming from here?

Bottom line is, ebay is out to protect members. If there's something fishy going on, or there's an unacceptable fraud risk to the community, yeah ebay is going to take them out pending some confirmation that the 20 plasma TVs they're selling do exist and can be provided by the seller. Would you honestly expect any less?
Old 09-03-2007
Banned

Quote:
Stick around and you will understand how ludicrous your statement is.

Matter of fact, if you feel that way, why are you here on this site? Just reactivate your old EBAY account.
Modee, I haven't gotten my ebay account suspended, I'm here as an ebay employee (not in any official way) who's pretty amused by this whole forum.

I also didn't mean to accuse you personally of fraud. I just want to explain that sometimes we have to take measures to protect the site. I've personally suspended numerous accounts, and then reinstated them back when they've shown me that they are in a position to provide the merchandise they're selling. It's not hard to get back if you want to. Most of the time I've found that members just think it's a "god given right" (actual quote from a member) to sell on ebay, and get pissy when we do what we have to to protect other buyers and sellers. If a member refuses to resolve their suspension (because they think they're right) and creates a new account, well now they've just violated a whole other policy, and all their accounts are getting shut down.
Old 09-03-2007
Banned

Also, I wanted to say, if you were selling for that long with such high monthly sales two things don't add up:

1) You would most probably have an account manager -- someone who basically works for you and would help you get back on.
2) You would never, ever get suspended for as you say "high risk". I'm very familiar with "high risk" accounts, and from your definition you wouldn't be the furthest thing away. What would most probably happen if you were selling 100k+ of goods for some time and your account caught our attention is your account would be limited from selling pending confirmation of goods. There's no way in hell you'd be suspended for high risk if your account was already an established account.
Old 09-03-2007
Banned

Quote:
In my situation, once suspended, the issue has become - "getting linked with a suspended account." At this point I doubt anyone at EBAY knows or cares why my first account was suspended.

It's just a game, where if they find I am linked to an old account, I get suspended again. If they had half a brain, they might think - ****, he's created all these bogus accounts and yet he STILL hasn't ripped even one person off - maybe he just wants to sell and is legitimate?

I ship goods to people overseas who had paid me with bank wire even after being suspended. If that doesn't make a statement, I don't know what does.

I had several dozen people email the top people at T&S and a couple of them even wrote to me to acknowledge receipt of the emails of support from my buyers, but to now avail.

I'm just saying - the way EBAY works is like an automaton. Once suspended the chances of being reinstated are about zero. I think you must not work in Trust and Safety because reinstatements are very hard to come by when there is no actual offense - just guilty of "didn't like his looks." How does one PROVE that he will not defraud someone, other than through one's track record?

BTW are you with EBAY U.S. or EBAY U.K.?
I do work in TnS. I don't touch the GS side of things as, well, telling people how to leave feedback a hundred times a day is dumb I'd rather not go into any more specifics about where in ebay I work because I'd get in big trouble from my superiors for posting on a forum as an employee -- it's happened before to others!

Anyways, I'll be honest with you about the other accounts thing. If you're caught using or creating a new account after you're suspended with one, you're right, we don't care why you were suspended originally. I'm assuming from your difficulties getting back on you're on the UK site, as it sounds like the new previously suspended guidelines, where you're suspended for 12 months on all accounts, no questions asked.

Here's how it works. You have accounts A, B and C. You're suspended on A. You say whatever and continue to use B or C (maybe even just for buying, it doesn't matter). All three accounts go down for a minimum of 12 months, no questions asked. And the only way you'll get them back after 12 months is if you've resolved the original suspension on A. Same thing applies if you create B or C after A was suspended.

Perhaps people have issues with that, but frankly, we don't care. Maybe some people are suspended unfairly, but we give you a fair chance to resolve your account. You're expressly warned from using or creating new accounts when your account is suspended. If someone (as is very commonly the case) decides not to pay their bill and creates a new account after they're suspended for non payment, then yeah we don't give a **** about them anymore. You violate our policies once and get suspended. Then you do it again by trying to get around the suspension. We don't want you on the site anymore, as simple as that.

Again, this isn't a personal attack on you as I don't know your circumstances, but a general outlook
Old 09-03-2007

tcho--I'm curious to get your input on this...what about accounts that have been previously suspended just for nonpayment? Will they be reinstated immediately once payment is made, or once they're suspended are they likely gone for good? There's been some discussion on this point and I'd just like to get your .02 on whether it's true or not.
Old 09-03-2007
Banned

Jack, a non payment suspension and reinstatement (except for very special, extreme cases) are automatic. If it's your only account and you were suspended and you pay it back, your account will be automatically reinstated (after payment processes and such).

It's a whole other story if you are caught using other accounts after your account was suspended, as I explained in my earlier post.
Old 09-03-2007
Banned

lol Modee. For someone who sells on ebay so much you seem to have a pretty bad/low understanding of what TnS does. TnS is arguably one of the most important departments in ebay, especially right now.

You question why TnS would take out big/high volume accounts, or why we care about previous suspended users (PSUs). It's as simple as this: We don't care how much you sell or how much money you make. Bad sellers create way more problems and cost us way more money than they bring in. There was a figure that Meg Whitman gave at ebay live, and I don't remember it exactly, but it was something along the lines of 5% of bad sellers create 80% of the problems with buyers. (those aren't the exact numbers, but it's something along those lines.)

Also, and I have to say it again, we don't care how much you've sold previously if you're breaking our rules. So you're telling me that you keep creating new accounts every 3 - 6 months. That's great, you're giving me a job. But believe it or not, your average ebay employee actually cares about trying to keep ebay safe and clean (as long as we get paid too!). If you're constantly violating the policies, it's almost a personal attack on us, and yeah we'll take you down.

Think about it this way: It probably takes us less than 5 - 10 minutes to suspend your account. How much time does it take you to create a new one and resume your activities and rebuild feedback? Why didn't you resolve your original suspension to begin with, without creating a new account? When we suspend members, we almost hope that they _can_ provide whatever it is we need to reinstate them, especially with big volume sellers, because it means more money in our own pockets (stock options). We want to work with members to get back on. But we'll only go as far to help you as you want. If you refuse to cooperate or just spout crap like it's your right to sell, well go to hell If you're genuinely trying to get your account back and aren't violating other policies (PSU), then we'll give you as much information as possible to get back on.

You say it's very hard to get a reinstatement on ebay. It's as hard as you make it. As with any customer service, if you call your mobile provider yelling and screaming at the CSR about a bill error, they probably won't go out of their way to help you. But if you're calm and polite and help them understand the problem, they'll probably do what they can to help.
Old 09-03-2007
Banned

Quote:
This is the New Millenium. I'm whoever I have to be.
I just wanted to add something to this, with regards to TnS.

This is the new millenium, and anyone on the internet can be whoever they want to be. Including Nigerian and Romanian scammers, who probably make more than you and I combined from very sophisticated techniques. You question why TnS exists, well that's a big reason why. Fraud on the internet is so sophisticated that we have to do all we can to *try* and keep eBay a safe and fun place to buy and sell things.

Or to bring it back home, there was a recent article on the news about a Cali man who was arrested for selling more than $90,000 in sports tickets and Rolex watches and not delivering. Now this guy probably had great feedback for selling these items, as well as other things, but he was still a scammer, and we took him down and worked with the police.

I hope that explains a little more about what TnS is actually for. It's not to get the good guys, although unfortunately that happens (somewhat rarely I hope).
Old 09-03-2007

The problem here is that most of us never even hear from t&s, which is ironic because many times we do seek you guys to clear things up. I know I did once upon a time. But once bitten twice bitter. Speaking for myself, the times I actually tried to ask nicely for something to be done was met with disdain and countless form letters that made it abundantly clear that the only thing ebay was interested in was sending me a bunch of junkmail that has little to nothing to do with the matter at hand. How would you feel if every time you reached out your hand to try to come up with a solution, you had it smacked back in your face? Is it any wonder that we have learned that vigilante tactics below the radar is the only way to success on ebay? Again, MANY of us would feel and act differently if ebay hadn't already perpetuated this problem months--even years earlier.
Old 09-03-2007

how could he have great feedback for selling those things if he didnt deliver...

so if the original acct was suspended be cause we got red flagged by a ot even thought were were getting positive FB and completing sales so really it was for no reason and we cannot defend ourselves because trying to talk to or even get ahold of any live people at ebay is almost impossible we move to another acct but have no hope of ever playing by the ebay rules because we made another acct to keep conducting legit business because we depend on it. sorry that was a huge run on sentence. my point is...

we get suspended due to a bots suspision.

we cant get reinstated.

we make a new acct.

the cycle continues.

i dont get the bots idea of suspision when i sold say 100 items and one neg for something stupid like color was ivory insted of beige.

that happend BTW. i just dont get it. that was my original act. I have since gone thru about 30 accts and just keep moving to the next because the bot links me or suspends for suspision. maybe ebay should consider hireing more people with brains than bots.
Old 09-03-2007
Banned

anotherebayhater, very few suspensions are performed by bots. They're almost all from actual people. And you yourself admitted to creating new account after account when you get suspended, so where's the problem here?

Also, I know almost all suspensions related to why you would have been suspended (as you described it anyways). There's absolutely no suspension which relates to getting one negative feedback after getting 100 for positive selling. And even if you were suspended, it could have been easily resolved by contacting the buyer and working things out with them and getting a mutual feedback withdrawal or having them email in and say things are resolved or providing proof of a paypal refund, etc etc.