Changing your EBAY name, address, account details. Safe? What address to give EBAY? - Page 3 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion! > eBay Suspensions

eBay Suspensions General issues related to eBay Suspensions. Mostly geared towards eBay.com.

Old 09-03-2007

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 99%

Ok to play devil's advocate here--what if the buyer and seller are on separate ends of the continent..hell, even the world? That would make an in-person cash transaction a tad difficult and an easily excused out.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-03-2007
Banned

Longevity: 96%

Jack, Modee:

You're half right there. In *some* suspension cases we don't say exactly what it is you did wrong (I want to emphasis some here). This is because we don't want to give away too much information about what we're looking for, allowing either yourself or real scammers to adapt a way around it. Also, what we look for is always changing along with the scammers. We do what we can to stay one step ahead. This isn't always possible unfortunately, but that's just the nature of the world.

But what we do do, is tell you how you can get back on. So for most of the time for a "high risk" suspension, provide proof of merchandise for certain items. Or provide a contact with a supplier where you're getting the items from. Or sometimes it's as simple as providing some ID. It's not hard, unless you either give up or disregard the suspension and create a new account.

Yes, sometimes you will run into problems. Unfortunately (oh how I hate them), we live in a world of outsourcers, and some of them are the most retarded people ever. You might have some trouble getting exactly what information it is you need, but if you really care, with a few emails you'll get it. And this is getting less of an issue now anyhow with better training and other stuff.

Just saying, there's two ways to go about it. 1) find out why you were suspended and resolve it or 2) create a new account in which case we don't really want you on our site anyhow.

Old 09-03-2007
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modee View Post
tcho, assuming you are who you say you are, you are obviously a True Believer who thinks that T&S is making a difference.

I'm sorry but not only is your entire function unnecessary (you don't weed out the real fraud, and spending time posting my #1 rule would be money better spent), but in the end your division is going to cost EBAY HUGE when a lawsuit is sustained for fraud that you did not catch.
Modee, I've purposely ignored your lawsuit questions/statements so far, but I'll give you my only answer on them.

I'm not a lawyer. I'll even say I know almost nothing about the legal framework that guides previous lawsuits and future ones. I'm also going to venture that you're not a lawyer either, and you probably have limited detailed knowledge about the legal framework.

Either way, this is all I know: eBay has a big legal department, and they are presumably fairly smart and care about their jobs (probably more than I do!). I'm confident that the policies and techniques in place are approved by the legal department to confirm with laws to protect eBay. IF they are not, then oh well, someone can sue. I don't really care at the end.

I'm not here to argue about legal matters, because I know nothing about them. Maybe there is a better case now, maybe there isn't. I have no clue, and I don't care. One of my biggest pet peeves is people spouting off about class action lawsuits and big cases against ebay (or any other company really). Either one does it, or they don't. I'm not a lawyer, I don't have any inside knowledge about this stuff -- I don't care.

I hope you understand where I'm coming from with this. I'd rather just talk about policies and suspensions and such, rather than 'what if' scenarios about court cases completely unrelated to what I do
Old 09-03-2007
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcho View Post
anotherebayhater, very few suspensions are performed by bots. They're almost all from actual people. etc.
So how does FADE fit into this scenario?

Why have a human element intervene at all when bots are the quickest easiest cheapest solution- to make sure innocent people aren't suspended?
Old 09-03-2007
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebayisanecessaryevil View Post
So how does FADE fit into this scenario?

Why have a human element intervene at all when bots are the quickest easiest cheapest solution- to make sure innocent people aren't suspended?
LOL. Well considering I'd get insta fired for giving out information about FADE, I won't get into details. I'll just say FADE doesn't perform suspensions.

Here's why (for the most part) bots don't perform our suspensions: Any member can take us to court. If they do, they can also request all the notes on their account. These notes include suspensions. These suspensions need to conform to a legal standard (as set out by our legal dept). So we need to document the reasons why we're suspending someone as directed by the legal dept.

That's the jist of it anyways.
Old 09-03-2007
Executive [VIP]

That part of the thrill, isn't it, though? You could get in soooo much trouble for letting people know what you know...

What made you search the internet for a website like this and decide to jump in and respond with the nuggets of knowledge you've shared?
Old 09-03-2007
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modee View Post
Also, I got one for you
http://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-su...-some-way.html

so why are suspensions lately coming from the PP side, along with the procedure for reinstatement? What information is shared between PP and EBAY on EBAY accounts that are NOT officially linked to PP.
Oh this is a fun one! I don't have time to look the thread over in detail as I'm running out for the day, but remember eBay and PayPal are the same company. Customers expect us to act as the same company when it comes to GS questions after all, and so what eBay as a company is trying to do now is merge the two divisions together. It doesn't really make sense if we suspend or limit someone's PayPal account and allow them to continue selling on eBay does it, or vice versa. So in the near future you'll probably be seeing more of that, where PayPal accounts are being suspended/restricted for eBay violations, and vice versa. This isn't happening for every suspension or what not, but only in ones where it makes sense (ie we suspend your ebay account for fraud, but keep your paypal account running so you can take all your money and run?!?).

It's still fairly new, but a good sign of things to come...

*edit* As for what information is actually shared between nonlinked accounts, I honestly don't know exactly. But from an employee standpoint, if I'm suspending an ebay account it's not very hard to do a search on paypal's database to find a matching account there. And I'm sure records are kept when buyers state which item numbers they're paying for on paypal's site, so it can be linked that way too. But again, this is a fairly new program being rolled out so details are still very limited.
Old 09-03-2007
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebayisanecessaryevil View Post
That part of the thrill, isn't it, though? You could get in soooo much trouble for letting people know what you know...

What made you search the internet for a website like this and decide to jump in and respond with the nuggets of knowledge you've shared?
I ran across this site a while back and had it bookmarked. I suppose I finally got bored enough?

And Modee, there's always someone who's watching and will report in to the powers that be
Old 09-03-2007
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcho View Post
ie we suspend your ebay account for fraud, but keep your paypal account running so you can take all your money and run?!?). .
how can we "take the money and run" buyers are 100% protected and they get their money back if they complain.
Old 09-03-2007

actually evil, it is very easy to run. One could just empty out the money from the fraudulent paypal account onto another paypal account. If there's no money in the fraudulent paypal account, no amount of bitching in the world is going to get the buyer their money back. Thus, why paypal's protection is pretty much useless. Now as to whether the buyer can involve the FBI and the Police...I don't know. But if the fraudulent account has a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ name, address, etcc...I don't see what the Police or FBI could possible do. Do you get it? So it actually is and has been dumb for ebay to leave paypal accounts working when they ban an ebay account...
Old 09-04-2007

Depending on how you chose to vocally complain and in what venue, the silence could easily have been a defense mechanism. For example in retail, when a customer complains many times the best course of action is to just let them vent their frustrations and then--if necessary--try to calm them down or show understanding because maybe that's all they really want. That *may* have been what they were doing. Of course, maybe not. But it is plausible.
Old 09-04-2007

Even if they did "keep silent" at this point I think we can say that PP is cooperating with Ebay. Just today one of my accounts was suspended on ebay and for the first time ever, when I logged into Paypal I found that my account was limited! Luckily I have several backups but, the connection can't be denied. Also back a few weeks ago when I was trying to make a new ebay account I used the paypal account that was connected to my previously suspended ebay account. Did not link them at all, just added a new email address to the paypal account like the forum said. Instant suspension. So you need to beware paypal, now when I create a new ebay account I also create a brand new paypal account. I even typed out a list of ebay accounts and paypal account connections that are still functional so I won't forget. You must now and always view paypal as a serious threat, just a tip.
Old 09-04-2007
Executive [VIP]

Personally, I wouldn't risk changing the account name. I did it once and they immediately suspended the account saying someone hacked it. Even though they lifted it after...
Old 09-04-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko07 View Post
Even if they did "keep silent" at this point I think we can say that PP is cooperating with Ebay. Just today one of my accounts was suspended on ebay and for the first time ever, when I logged into Paypal I found that my account was limited! Luckily I have several backups but, the connection can't be denied. Also back a few weeks ago when I was trying to make a new ebay account I used the paypal account that was connected to my previously suspended ebay account. Did not link them at all, just added a new email address to the paypal account like the forum said. Instant suspension. So you need to beware paypal, now when I create a new ebay account I also create a brand new paypal account. I even typed out a list of ebay accounts and paypal account connections that are still functional so I won't forget. You must now and always view paypal as a serious threat, just a tip.

Does this seem to be for all accounts or just the newest suspensions? Do you think the problem could be prevented by just removing the offending paypal account address from the paypal account before adding the new address?
Old 10-01-2007

Default Is Po Box Ok To Register???

Can you use a PO BOX to register your adress on ebay??? if someone decides to send me a money order, Id hate for them to send it to my ⊗⊗⊗⊗ adress. Anyway just want to clear this out before registering my PO box adress on ebay. thanks
Old 10-01-2007

sucks, modee ever had any problems having ur account suspended due to google checkout being used??? just wondering
Old 10-02-2007
Executive [VIP]

What worked for me in the past is change the address of the PO Box, while still allowing it to receive mail. For example, if you address is:

9947 Po Box, 4893 Hillbilly Street

change it to:

Suite 9947, 4893 Hillbilly Street
Old 10-02-2007

exactly.

or you could try a ups store box. those have a street address plus a suite number. sometime post offices can be picky about using a suite number.
Old 10-02-2007

well... i dont know how red flags go up... but i registered a backup account couple of years ago and gave ⊗⊗⊗⊗ info.. not by state but by a totally different country and when i got suspended recently on my actual account i changed that info to my actual info only changing the wording here n there and i m still ok with that after about 2 months (touchwood)
Old 10-02-2007
Banned

Longevity: 97%

PO box is good but they'll deduct some brownie points from you
Old 10-02-2007

Registering with a Po box caused my new account to be suspended.
I tried to list an item and EB pulled me up for it stating that I did not have proper cantact information Blah Blah......
Old 10-02-2007

very strange newebayer. did this happen to someone else too??? i mean i know alot of people using p o box addresses... was ur phone number genuine?