Is craigslist worth it? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 06-06-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 82%
Default Is craigslist worth it?

I was contemplating making like 30-50 craigslist accounts and selling in all the major cities. Instead of local pick-up though it would go through Paypal and it would state in the ad that I only ship the products. Does anyone have feedback regarding this or if it's worth it?

I have pretty good success in my local craigslist ads where we can meet somewhere and they pay cash. I see some ads that say that they will only ship products and local pick-up is unavailable. Just curious, if it's worth it I would definitely be up for it. I have about 50+ e-mails ready to go.

-Albert Einstein
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 06-06-2010
MU

Longevity: 91%
Send a message via AIM to First Edition Send a message via MSN to First Edition Send a message via Yahoo to First Edition Send a message via Skype™ to First Edition

you dont haven any up front costs with craigslist, or any at all really... so wouldn't one sale make it profitable?
Old 06-06-2010
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 82%

That's true, but the time it takes is a different story. Posting and keeping track of 25+ craigslist accounts takes time. All that for one or even a couple sales a week isn't worth it at all. I'd say if this could rake in at least 7 sales or one sale a day it would be worth it. Eh **** it might as well give it a try and I'll post my results here.

-Albert Einstein
Old 06-06-2010
Vicvelcro

Longevity: 0%

Then there's all them haters in all them cities that will flag your posts. Also, at one point in time, there was some geolocating thing that would automatically ghost your posts if you were not located within a certain radius of the city you were posting your shingle. Might have been a temporary thing they were experimenting with or it might be implemented fully. I dunno.
Old 06-06-2010

Longevity: 84%

I did that once and it went pretty smooth but the listing got deleted afterwards, I think the guy reported it since he filed a paypal dispute and lost.
Old 06-06-2010
Administrator

Thanked 1,568 Times in 861 Posts
Activity: 28%

GLAD you posted this Thread!

I had a few things to list on CL and would of totally forgot until I saw this Thread!

CL is Great for items to heavy or not worth to shipping on eBay. I make an extra $200-$500 (Profit) a month using CL.

A lot of it has everything to do with what kind of metropolitan area you live in for the resell of items.
Old 06-06-2010

Longevity: 85%

There was this guy from FL who called me and wanted to pay me via paypal. So I guess some people do feel secure and don't mind paying via paypal. But that's only a very small number. People usually prefer to meet-up but you got to be very careful. I almost got scammed during my first transaction(350). He thought he was going to get me but luckily I got lost in the area so I didn't make it in time.
Then the 2nd time we scheduled a meet-up, Luckily, I gave him an address where cops where parked at for a while so he kept driving and didn't pick up his phone afterwards.
Old 06-06-2010

You can't get scammed from a buyer who wants pay by paypal as long as you have tracking. Paypal takes the sellers side for off ebay transactions as long as tracking shows delivered.
Old 06-06-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuntz View Post
You can't get scammed from a buyer who wants pay by paypal as long as you have tracking. Paypal takes the sellers side for off ebay transactions as long as tracking shows delivered.
Actually you can get scammed as people pay from fraudulent credit cards or they pay from a hacked paypal account. Also one more thing, when your meeting up on craigslist, make sure you meet up somewhere there are alot of people around you. You don't want to get jacked by the guy..

”I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else.”
Winston Churchill

“If you’re going through hell, keep going.”
Winston Churchill
Old 06-07-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,406 Times in 871 Posts
Longevity: 81%

I did Craigslist For a while. Awnsering 20 E-Mails a day, and people wanting to Meet you to Pick up their items, WAAAAY To Tedious for me.
Old 06-07-2010
MU

Send a message via AIM to First Edition Send a message via MSN to First Edition Send a message via Yahoo to First Edition Send a message via Skype™ to First Edition

items for cl that work sell well are things that you really can't or don't want to purchase in a store.
Old 06-07-2010
Executive [VIP]

be careful with craigslist, esp selling high priced valuable items. You have you remember you never know who your dealing with. I personally never have anyone come to my house and I always meet somewhere where there's a lot of people around if I sell something cus there's a lot of shady people out there.

I have heard too many craigslist horror stories or people getting robbed.

I also hate craigslist b/c people will always try to give you a story or talk you down on your price. But hey, then again there's no listing or selling fees!
Old 06-07-2010

Why should you be careful about meet-ups?? You meet in person, if a buyer likes the product, he buys it and pays cash for it. Then you leave...How can you get scammed ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficialGenius View Post
There was this guy from FL who called me and wanted to pay me via paypal. So I guess some people do feel secure and don't mind paying via paypal. But that's only a very small number. People usually prefer to meet-up but you got to be very careful. I almost got scammed during my first transaction(350). He thought he was going to get me but luckily I got lost in the area so I didn't make it in time.
Then the 2nd time we scheduled a meet-up, Luckily, I gave him an address where cops where parked at for a while so he kept driving and didn't pick up his phone afterwards.
Old 06-07-2010

I know 1 way, you meet up in a private place the buyer looks at the item then the buyer takes the item and runs.
Old 06-07-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,406 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptenchick View Post
Why should you be careful about meet-ups?? You meet in person, if a buyer likes the product, he buys it and pays cash for it. Then you leave...How can you get scammed ???

Can you Imagine selling 20 Items a day on Craigslist, Each sale, say, 5 Emails, then Meeting People all over town, 100 emails and 20 stops a day, I could NOT Do that, But to each his/her own
Old 06-07-2010

But if you state in your listing that you're too busy to meet up with people so you can only ship and accept paypal then it's much easier. I sold some software to a guy, he paid with paypal I slapped the label on and dropped it down the mailshoot. He also filed a claim as soon as he got it and paypal closed it the same day in my favor, no questions asked.
Old 06-08-2010

craigs list being worth the time all depends on which city you live in..yea, you can post to other cities but there will always be some "by the book- do gooder" that sees you are out of state and feels it is their duty to protect Craig and his List and flag your listing...now where i live (good sized city) craigs list is pathetic and an embarrassment to even look at let alone try to sell on..and safety factors...if item is not big always best to meet in public like at a starbucks..especially in today's world..it's one thing for people to wonder what you have inside your house by the kind of car sitting in your driveway but to let a complete stranger in to give him complimentary "casing" tour..no way.
Old 06-08-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Yea, thats how it should go, but unfortunately it doesn't always turn out so smooth. I'm just saying, be careful on craigslist with high dollar items.
Old 06-08-2010

Thank you for your advice.
Today I am meeting up with one girl in a public place. I was selling a LV Speedy 30 bag on craigslist and she emailed me. So, the girl wants to have a look at (and hopefully buy) the bag. We've been emailing each other for a few days now. She gave me her phone number. Hopefully, she won't run away. Wish me good luck, that's my first craigslist transaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aking View Post
Yea, thats how it should go, but unfortunately it doesn't always turn out so smooth. I'm just saying, be careful on craigslist with high dollar items.
Old 06-08-2010

Longevity: 85%

Quote:
Thank you for your advice.
Today I am meeting up with one girl in a public place. I was selling a LV Speedy 30 bag on craigslist and she emailed me. So, the girl wants to have a look at (and hopefully buy) the bag. We've been emailing each other for a few days now. She gave me her phone number. Hopefully, she won't run away. Wish me good luck, that's my first craigslist transaction.
Good luck! Just hope she won't be able to tell the bag is fak e.
(If it is)
Old 06-08-2010

Just a heads up for ya, she may appear to be a girl in the e-mail or even on the phone but could always turn out be a guy later and just because you decide to meet in a public place doesn't mean you might not end up in a private place later with your bag gone and no money. I've been through those types of situations many times before, just letting you know.
Old 06-08-2010

Are you craz y??? Lol!
I would never sell a fak e especially when you meet in person.
It's authentic. I won it on one of my penny auctions. It's nice and I wanted to keep it but the color is brown. I don' wear brown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficialGenius View Post
Good luck! Just hope she won't be able to tell the bag is fak e.
(If it is)