Verizon DSL + Westell 6100 Modem - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > IP Address

IP Address Changing your IP address, multiple IPs, VPNs, hiding your IP, phone tethering, MiFi devices, hotspots and more.

Old 01-12-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 82%
Default Verizon DSL + Westell 6100 Modem

Hey Everyone,

Like the thread title says, I'm using Verizon DSL, and they have provided me with a Westell 6100G modem. I've used up all of my Google-fu, and I've read through the threads here as well. Unfortunately, I can't see anyway to make this DSL modem release its current IP address and obtain a new one.

There is no way (that I can find) to go into the modem's setup and change the MAC address. I can definitely view the MAC address, but there seems to be no way to change it.

When I first set everything up (it was a "self-install" kit), it forced me to a Verizon web page, where I had to enter the username and password they had provided, and then it allowed me to connect to the Internet. I've not had to do that again since.

I have the Westell modem ran into a Belkin wireless router, which passes out internal LAN IPs to the two computers connected to it.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular model of DSL router, and if so, could you give some advice or point me in the right direction if I've missed it?

FWIW - I'm already looking into using free Dial-Up to create the eBay/PayPal accounts, then using DSL to interact with eBay through either InkFrog or Auctiva, and then if I have to respond to email or questions, hopping back on the dial-up for that.

That seems a little convoluted though, and I don't want to mess anything up, so I'm really hoping for a solution to change the DSL IP on-demand, so then I can just spreadsheets and user accounts to keep everything separated and never have to worry that one day Auctiva or InkFrog may start passing IPs to ebay/PayPal.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-12-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 90%

get a linksys wireless router with ddwrt firmware! when connected you can change your ip address back and forth by changing the MAC Address! tutorial is pinned on the forum but it does show using a ddwrt firmware router!
Old 01-12-2010
Threadstarter  

Hey There!

Thanks for the quick response! Could you point me to that thread you mention that is Pinned? I had a look, but I'm not sure I'm looking at the same one.

So you're if I change the MAC address on my router (and then power router and modem off/on), I'll pull a new IP address from Verizon? If so, I should be able to do that, as I can already change the MAC address on my Belkin router.

I just didn't think that would work as everyone was saying to change the MAC address on the modem, which in my case, doesn't seem possible.
Old 01-12-2010
Executive [VIP]

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tr...d-numbers.html
Scrolled down i posted a youtube video on it a long time ago!
Old 01-12-2010
Threadstarter  

Hey There,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I tried this, and it didn't work for me. To be clear, here's what I did.

I logged into the admin page at my belkin router:

The router's MAC was set to:

00:1cf:5c:86:4f

I then went to IPBurger.com and got my IP.

I changed the MAC to:

00:1b:8f:4c:8f:51

I hit apply changes and the router was resetting. After it was done, I turned off the power strip that the router and the DSL modem were attached to.

I waited 3 minutes, and then I turned the power back on. When everything was back up I went back to IPBurger.com and still had the same address.

I'll do a test tonight and see if leaving it off after changing the MAC for a longer amount of time has an effect, but if I have to leave it off overnight to get a new IP everytime, that'll be a huge pain! :(
Old 01-14-2010
Executive [VIP]

I never used DSL or a belkin router(been a cable and linkys fan since I was 15) so I cant give you anymore details on that! Either buy a USB Modem from Sprint, Verizon, or ATT for easy IP changes!(I have a Verizon they have a month to month plan no contract!)
Old 01-14-2010
Threadstarter  

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to post a quick update to say that it worked! I actually posted a reply this morning, but it looks like the forum ated it!

I followed the same steps as above, but I left the DSL modem unplugged overnight. When I woke up this morning, I plugged it back in, and BINGO! I had a new IP address.

My next steps now are to:

1 - Determine the length of time necessary to leave the modem unplugged to get a new IP address.

2 - Determine if changing back to a previously used IP address will always give me the same IP.

Now to keep reading eBay Stealth!
Old 01-14-2010
Executive [VIP]

its instant for me!
Old 01-14-2010
Threadstarter  

Hey There!

Thanks, I was hoping it would be instant for me as well, but my first attempt didn't pull a new IP after 3 minutes. I figure when I have a little more time this weekend, I'll start at 5 minutes, if that doesn't work try 10 minutes, etc., until I find the shortest period of time that is successful!
Old 01-14-2010
Executive [VIP]

try like 3 or 4 times. it only takes a sec for it to change with me.