Package Held in Customs, Getting Nervous - Page 2 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > WallStreetBets > Dropshipping & Wholesale Suppliers > Shipping Talk

Shipping Talk General discussions on shipping, customs, tracking, USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL, EMS, etc.

Old 02-17-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 84%

No they just automatically foward it to the correct address, thinking it was a typo as long as it has the correct address city and state, but it's good to let the seller know so the seller doesn't change it back thinking you made a mistake.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-17-2010
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuntz View Post
No they just automatically foward it to the correct address, thinking it was a typo as long as it has the correct address city and state, but it's good to let the seller know so the seller doesn't change it back thinking you made a mistake.
So is JFK the safest place for your packages to go through?
Old 02-17-2010

Longevity: 89%

There is no Booklet for Customs or protocol .. i had stuff taken continued to use the same addresses with no problem .. had stuff show up 2 months later as loose parcels ..had stuff show up 1 month later for whatever reason ... but usually if it is in customs more than a week -probaly 90% you will not get it ....ive had a box the size of a Toyota make it somehow and a box the size of a cellphone get taken ...Customs doesnt want you to understand and they probaly really dont even understand themselfs .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gibsonton For This Useful Post:
blackdahlia (09-15-2014), madmuppet303 (05-02-2013)
Old 02-17-2010

I never had any problems with jfk, doesn't mean I won't though as soon I do I'll just switch zips or use a different mailbox.
Old 02-17-2010
Threadstarter  

So if you use an NY zip, it will for sure be routed through JFK?
Old 02-17-2010

Longevity: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie View Post
no matter what anyone says,nothing is for sure,you must understand that! whoever said that any time a package is in customs for more than a week that 90% chance its going to be held up,whered you pull that stat from? ive had numerous packages in for more than a week and ive got them all,

no matter what anyone says here,it doesnt matter,no one knows how customs works,and the only time you know for a fact that yer package is held up is if you get a letter in the mail from them,otherwise its not held up,ive had a couple packages in customs for more than a month and i received both of them,

no one knows how customs works!
Old 02-17-2010

Default ^^

Quote:
I tell my seller to send it through jfk and that's where it goes every time. Customs has nothing to do with deciding where it goes, it has to do with the zip code.
Old 02-18-2010
Executive [VIP]

I had my very first package go thru SF about a year ago and it was there for 3 weeks. I thought it had gotten seized. But they eventually shipped it on to me and they had opened it and sealed it back up with Dept of Homeland Security tape. Anyways everything inside of it was commonly "counterfieted" merchandise. They sent a bill along with the box for custom fees but they lady at the post office didn't see it and just had me sign for the box. But I typically get 2-3 packages a week thru EMS and they all go thru SF and never have any problems. Lately I have been getting all my large packages thru DHL. No problems at all. They are coming out of Beijing and I get them in 3 days from when my supplier ships them.
Old 02-18-2010

Is it clothing , media or electronics? and what do you mean by large? 4/4? 5/10?
Old 02-18-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Is it clothing , media or electronics? and what do you mean by large? 4/4? 5/10?
I have been getting shipments of clothing and media. I will get shipments of 200+ box sets at at time in one large box that weighs like 150lbs. The DHL guy needs my help getting it out of the truck. When it comes to the US the package goes thru Cincinnati before they ship it to Boise which is where I am. So far every package has been smooth with no problems.
Old 02-18-2010

That's insane, I would of never thought to order that much unless it was split up over a dozen mailboxes. I just had small box less then 10 lbs with only 50 pcs of software taken out, I guess I should try DHL, I didn't know that made a difference to customs though.
Old 02-18-2010

Longevity: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsgunner77 View Post
no matter what anyone says,nothing is for sure,you must understand that! whoever said that any time a package is in customs for more than a week that 90% chance its going to be held up,whered you pull that stat from? ive had numerous packages in for more than a week and ive got them all,

no matter what anyone says here,it doesnt matter,no one knows how customs works,and the only time you know for a fact that yer package is held up is if you get a letter in the mail from them,otherwise its not held up,ive had a couple packages in customs for more than a month and i received both of them,

no one knows how customs works!
I got that stat from 2 years of my own experience - if you read the comment you would see like i said nothing is for sure other than Customs is changing their sytem and it will be more difficult by sometime in 2011 to get items through with their new ''Flag and Tag'' System ...You will still get items through nothing is perfect they are just going to try and make it more difficult .the more packages you lose and more money you have to spend at mail drops the more frustrated people will get , as i have said my neighbor is a customs agent and has been telling me this for a couple years now -and no he doesnt know i have bought or still occasionaly buy from overseas.
Old 02-18-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
That's insane, I would of never thought to order that much unless it was split up over a dozen mailboxes. I just had small box less then 10 lbs with only 50 pcs of software taken out, I guess I should try DHL, I didn't know that made a difference to customs though.
It does cost a little more to get packages shipped thru DHL but it so worth it. I was getting some thru UPS and they came thru Alaske but I no longer deal with that seller and my current supplier wont use UPS but ships DHL so I am happy. PM me if you want to know exactly I can get and who my supplier is.
The Following User Says Thank You to cardfelon For This Useful Post:
stealth (08-08-2010)
Old 08-07-2010

Longevity: 96%
Default Another possible address for me to receive packages?

We just got the word at my office that we will be moving in a month.
I will obviously take advantage of the new address to set up a new ebay & Paypal accounts, but I have a question as far as the USPS change of address system is concerned.

If I fill out a change of address form at the post office can I (and if so how long) have mail (particularily packages going through customs) sent to the old address and still show up at the new address?

I've often thought that this would be a great way to set up stealth accounts using other addresses, but still be able to receive items to your real address.

Has anyone tried this? Will it work?
Old 08-07-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFacedBoy View Post
We just got the word at my office that we will be moving in a month.
I will obviously take advantage of the new address to set up a new ebay & Paypal accounts, but I have a question as far as the USPS change of address system is concerned.

If I fill out a change of address form at the post office can I (and if so how long) have mail (particularily packages going through customs) sent to the old address and still show up at the new address?

I've often thought that this would be a great way to set up stealth accounts using other addresses, but still be able to receive items to your real address.

Has anyone tried this? Will it work?
This wouldn't hide you when receiving items. The National Change of Address Database (NCOA) is available to just about anyone (although you may have to go thru a re-seller). If you want to be in stealth mode you would have to use a completely different name and address. It still wouldn't be 100%, but that is much safer, IMHO.
Old 08-07-2010

I realize it wouldn't make me invisible...but how can you do that 100% when at some point you need a physical address to receive goods at?
Just wondering if having some packages

deleivered to:
John Smith,
123 Main Street

and some delievered to:
Jon Smith,
321 Elm Street

and some delivered to:
Jonathon Smythe
567 University Ave

Might raise few red flags than tons of stuff going through customs to the same address.

I would assume that once it clears customs it goes to the PO and they are the ones to divert it to the correct address?
Old 08-07-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
I realize it wouldn't make me invisible...but how can you do that 100% when at some point you need a physical address to receive goods at?
Just wondering if having some packages

deleivered to:
John Smith,
123 Main Street

and some delievered to:
Jon Smith,
321 Elm Street

and some delivered to:
Jonathon Smythe
567 University Ave

Might raise few red flags than tons of stuff going through customs to the same address.

I would assume that once it clears customs it goes to the PO and they are the ones to divert it to the correct address?
Yes. Customs just inspects packages (or more often, just clears them). It is the post office that would forward the mail.

Using multiple addresses is good. Using your real name, even a variation, is not necessarily so good. If any packages are seized, I would stop using that address.
Old 08-07-2010

I'm just wondering if say you expect to receive 10 packages total a month if you would be any safer having one sent every 10 days to address A, and the same with address B & C as opposed to getting 2-3 a week always to the same address...
I was wondering if they in some way monitor the number of deliveries to a single address
Old 08-07-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
I'm just wondering if say you expect to receive 10 packages total a month if you would be any safer having one sent every 10 days to address A, and the same with address B & C as opposed to getting 2-3 a week always to the same address...
I was wondering if they in some way monitor the number of deliveries to a single address
The more addresses, the better.

Rumor has it that customs is using some sort of a blacklist, but I have no idea if it is true or not. Either way, multiple addresses make sense.
Old 08-07-2010

That's what I was getting at
Old 08-07-2010

Longevity: 79%

Quote:
So since my package has been held for 11 days is it safe to assume that it is gone for good? Also, I work with a couple of Chinese suppliers and it seems to vary which customs location my packages go through. I am in the Midwest so logically you would think everything would come through Chicago. However, the only time it comes through Chicago is when it is out of the Shanghai area. The other supplier is in the southern inland part of China and those packages always go through San Francisco. Any idea why this is?

So, whatever happened to the package? Ever receive it?
Old 07-08-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbluntz View Post
I had some stuff held for 2 weeks, it was inspected but I still recieved it.
About the location just look at the zip code they used for your address on the ems ticket, that's how they route the package, you can have your seller change the zip code so its closer to the east coast than the west.
I have been at this for 3 years now and usually everything goes through EMS and DHL. During the last 2 weeks all of my EMS packages have been held and not released yet, and all of my DHL packages have been pushed through. In the opinion of a seasoned veteran, what should I do? Should I order everything DHL now or should I go to the UPS store and start ordering under a different name and address?