Package Held in Customs, Getting Nervous - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > WallStreetBets > Dropshipping & Wholesale Suppliers > Shipping Talk

Shipping Talk General discussions on shipping, customs, tracking, USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL, EMS, etc.

Old 02-10-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 82%
Default Package Held in Customs, Getting Nervous

Hey Everyone,

I am fairly new to the ebay game. I have ordered several packages from China over the past 4-5 months. All of them have come through fine. Until recently. I have a package that has been hung up in San Francisco customs for 5 days now. I have no doubt that if they open the package, they will flag it as not legit. It was not much stuff (I paid about $200 for it). So lets just assume that the package is going to get flagged. What is going to happen? I have been reading the forum and have seen varying reports from other users.

What I seem to be hearing the most is I will receive 2 letters from customs, eventually resulting in them destroying my package and that is the end of it. I would be fine with that.

What worries me is the "gloom and doom" scenarios I hear from some users about customs agents showing up at your door, legal action for copyright infringement, etc. You know, serious stuff.

I am not a "big player" by any means, so when I think about it I decide that there is no way that they are going to do anything serious. They have bigger problems on their hands. But at the same time, I can't help but worry about the worst case scenarios.

Anyway, what has happened in your experience? Has anyone actually had customs agents show up? Legal action? I'm just getting really nervous about it and would like to know if I am getting too worked up about it. Any personal experience/advice that can be offered would be greatly appreciated!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-10-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

yes it nerve wracking.....you can only wait.....if a seizure letter comes, ignore it and dont say or admit anything...5 days is not long at all for it to be stuck, kind of depends whats in it, if you say you are not big player dont worry......if you get a seizure update us and we can advise re names and address, quantities etc.....
Old 02-10-2010

Longevity: 89%

No need to worry , everybody loses one now and than.. just never send more money than you can afford to lose .
Old 02-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonton View Post
No need to worry , everybody loses one now and than.. just never send more money than you can afford to lose .
This is excellent advice, I go by this rule all the time.
Old 02-11-2010

Longevity: 84%

Sanfranciso is the worst for seizing, I had my seller in the past change the zipcode so it goes through NY but forgot to remind her last time and it got seized in SF, just recieved a notice that I have a certified letter at the P.O. from customs, not even sure if I should even sign for it even though I could use it to get a refund from dhgate.
Old 02-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuntz View Post
Sanfranciso is the worst for seizing, I had my seller in the past change the zipcode so it goes through NY but forgot to remind her last time and it got seized in SF, just recieved a notice that I have a certified letter at the P.O. from customs, not even sure if I should even sign for it even though I could use it to get a refund from dhgate.
You can use that letter to get a refund from DhGate? Does that work? Has anyone done that? Or is it worth to not even touch the letter?
Old 02-11-2010

That's what dhgate says on their site, I haven't tried it yet the only problem is I had 2 diferrent products in the same box, they took 1 out and sent the other which I already signed for so tracking shows I recieved it.
The Following User Says Thank You to jbluntz For This Useful Post:
Rhkeat (05-04-2019)
Old 02-13-2010

Shall have no worries my friend. The customs might just destroyed your items (counterfeit) but you'll never ever be criminalized, as you just a plain buyer buying things on ebay. (Ebay as a middleman must been charged responsible first before you :D)

But, still... dont worry as your item wont get destroyed if it has no tags, brands, or whatsoever on it. (based on my experience)
Old 02-13-2010
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by senibatara View Post
Shall have no worries my friend. The customs might just destroyed your items (counterfeit) but you'll never ever be criminalized, as you just a plain buyer buying things on ebay. (Ebay as a middleman must been charged responsible first before you :D)

But, still... dont worry as your item wont get destroyed if it has no tags, brands, or whatsoever on it. (based on my experience)

hummm, they are not buying from ebay.
Old 02-13-2010

Longevity: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy D View Post
hummm, they are not buying from ebay.
doesnt matter..customs will not do anything to you if its a small package,if yer getting a container down at the port,different story,but they will not waste time on small potatoes,OP you have nothing to worry about
Old 02-14-2010
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsgunner77 View Post
doesnt matter..customs will not do anything to you if its a small package,if yer getting a container down at the port,different story,but they will not waste time on small potatoes,OP you have nothing to worry about
Not what I meant. Re read the poster whom I was answering. This poster I quoted thought this package was coming from an ebay seller and did not know it was coming from a wholesale source.
Old 02-16-2010
Threadstarter  

Just an update for everyone, my package is still being held by customs according to USPS tracking. I am thinking it is safe to say I can kiss it goodbye. So I am guessing that will be the same story for trying to get stuff from China at the same address. I want to open a PO Box, but have one concern. Normally the packages are sent via EMS and someone has to sign for them. If I have a PO Box, will they just put the key to the package box in my PO Box and not require a signature? It is going to be a hassle for me if I have to go to the Post Office while it is open to get my packages, but I guess I will do it if I have to. If anyone could let me know how this works in their experience that would be great!
Old 02-16-2010

Longevity: 92%

Get a P.O. box at an UPS store. They will sign packages for you.
Old 02-16-2010
MU

Longevity: 83%

I had a package get taken from Chicago customs, receive the seizure letter. Filed a paypal dispute (purchased from DHGate) dhgate had me scan and upload the seizure letter and issued a refund the next day.
Old 02-16-2010
MU

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfortuantemistake View Post
I had a package get taken from Chicago customs, receive the seizure letter. Filed a paypal dispute (purchased from DHGate) dhgate had me scan and upload the seizure letter and issued a refund the next day.

Also, since having one seized, I have received others at the same address. Just because one gets taken doesn't mean you won't receive any future pacakges.
Old 02-16-2010

I had the same happen to me as Jbuntz. SF opened my box and took out some items and sent me the rest with a seizure letter inside the box..........
Old 02-16-2010
Threadstarter  

So since my package has been held for 11 days is it safe to assume that it is gone for good? Also, I work with a couple of Chinese suppliers and it seems to vary which customs location my packages go through. I am in the Midwest so logically you would think everything would come through Chicago. However, the only time it comes through Chicago is when it is out of the Shanghai area. The other supplier is in the southern inland part of China and those packages always go through San Francisco. Any idea why this is?
Old 02-16-2010

I had some stuff held for 2 weeks, it was inspected but I still recieved it.
About the location just look at the zip code they used for your address on the ems ticket, that's how they route the package, you can have your seller change the zip code so its closer to the east coast than the west.
Old 02-16-2010
MU

Quote:
About the location just look at the zip code they used for your address on the ems ticket, that's how they route the package, you can have your seller change the zip code so its closer to the east coast than the west.
Yeah but be careful, one of my packages are out for delivery in New York and I live 1200 miles away.
Old 02-16-2010
Threadstarter  

Quote:
I just checked and all of my EMS tickets are to the same zip code, yet some packages are still going through San Fran, some through Chicago. Weird. Any other thoughts?
Old 02-16-2010

That's probably because you're in an area that could use either one, if you tell your seller to change it to a NY zip then it will go through JFK which is what I do and it goes through JFK everytime unless I forget to tell her.
Old 02-17-2010
Threadstarter  

Quote:
That's probably because you're in an area that could use either one, if you tell your seller to change it to a NY zip then it will go through JFK which is what I do and it goes through JFK everytime unless I forget to tell her.
Thanks for all of the help jbuntz. A couple of questions though. First, does JFK have a track record of being the "safest"? What is your personal experience in sending packages through there? Also, if I put an NY zip code, but the correct street address, city, and state, will USPS forward it on to me correctly? Do they eventually catch on to what you are doing and tell you to stop/penalize you somehow?
The Following User Says Thank You to louie For This Useful Post:
Steven1000 (10-06-2017)