buyer refuses to cancel - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 01-09-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 91%
Default buyer issues

sold something very expensive, buyer paid and offically put another shipping address in, saying it was for a relative gift. As I might not be covered on seller protection, I decided to cancel and refund them, normally I would ship it, but not on such an expensive item, the returns and addresses would be too complcated, I dont get feeling they are scammer, they have alot of feedback. They said nothing about this. I am not sure if I did the right thing, but I felt uneasy.

I relisted it, and immediately sold it anyway, so its gone now.

I then canceled original transaction to get my FVF which is approx $100 returned, and they have refused to cancel!!! plus they emailed me saying they want item they bought! I havent replied yet, but in any case they have already refused to cancel thru ebay, so I have had message saying I WONT get FVF credit!!!!

Dont see why I should be out $100 for no reason. This happened to me before - buyer did not pay but still answered email to say would not cancel, I think they were thick rather than being nasty, I think ebay deliberately allow just one chance, knowing they will make money out of it..

how do I get round this? do I email ebay?

Last edited by oompaloompa; 01-09-2011 at 11:02 AM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-09-2011

Longevity: 79%

its not for NO REASON

why should you get the fvf refunded when you canceled an item where the buyer paid within your listing terms and conditions and also ebays, he did nothing wrong.

i hope you gave him an explanation

Bend it, Shape it, Anyway you want it...http://www.auto-professionals.co.uk/...lies/dance.gif
Old 01-09-2011
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

well my terms say that it can only go to paypal registered address, so whilst it is not specifically covered about another address in my terms, the buyer did not ask me prior buying if it was ok. I would not be sending to a paypal verified address.

also regardless of anything why shouldnt I get FVF refunded, If it is on record that buyer is refunded and they have not stated that theyve paid some other way, then ebay is profiting from this area and they know it. Its my perogative on expensive item.

Last edited by oompaloompa; 01-09-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-09-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,406 Times in 871 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Hey OOMPA,,,Im Sorry to Hear that,,,You Can Get in touch with Ebay,,I Just do NOT Think thaty they Will be Sympathetic to your Plight,,,

The Mistake that I Think you made was NOT To inform your Buyer that you were Cancelling the Transaction and Why,,Thereby Not Giving the Buyer the Opportunity to have you Ship the Item to their Paypal Verified Address so that you would qualify for Seller Protection,,,

If you would have done that it might have worked out Better.

You Also could have tried to "Mutually Terminate the Transaction" Before Cancelling it.
Old 01-09-2011
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

I did email them after they paid, sorry forgot to say, I explained it and said could I send it for them not the relative but they said they did not want to pay shipping and insurance twice. I did not write back after that, and they have not emailed me either and about 2 days after that they refused cancellation.

They may have seen item relisted and sold and got peed off...

If I am not protected and I cancel giving that explanation, I think it is wrong that ebay just allow buyer to override it.

Last edited by oompaloompa; 01-09-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-09-2011
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 86%

Can you not give the buyer your PP email address, have them send the money from their end and enter the shipping address they want into paypal? And then does that not help you with the protection? I thought there was an option to use a gift address that leaves you off the hook for not received.
Old 01-09-2011
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

well this item has gone now, I doubt I can find another exactly like it for a while,

you mean invoice them? and me put in relatives address, well isnt it the same thing though, it isnt verified??

Last edited by oompaloompa; 01-09-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-09-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,406 Times in 871 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompaloompa View Post
well my terms say that it can only go to paypal registered address, so whilst it is not specifically covered about another address in my terms, the buyer did not ask me prior buying if it was ok. I would not be sending to a paypal verified address.

also regardless of anything why shouldnt I get FVF refunded, If it is on record that buyer is refunded and they have not stated that theyve paid some other way, then ebay is profiting from this area and they know it. Its my perogative on expensive item.
I Had NOT Thought about this Aspect of your Situation,,,Being that the Item was Indeed Sold on Ebay and they Did recieve a FvF on the Item,,,Then It Might be a Legal issue if they do not Refund you Fee,,,Also being that it was indeed Stated on your Auction, and you Did Indeed Advise them after the auction,,I think that you will Be Ok,,,I Would Contact Ebay about this,,
Old 01-09-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Bit hasty to relist the item without completely resolving it with the buyer, though.

Would you not have been better to contact paypal about delivery address OR even asked here before taking the action you did?
Dunno. Maybe you were flustered
Old 01-09-2011
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompaloompa View Post

you mean invoice them? and me put in relatives address, well isnt it the same thing though, it isnt verified??
I'm not 100% sure to be honest, I have never sent to a gift address

But I am pretty sure PayPal has this feature. Buyer can edit the address when they pay. That is the address you ship to and that is the address that falls under the seller protection
Old 01-09-2011
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapped View Post
I Had NOT Thought about this Aspect of your Situation,,,Being that the Item was Indeed Sold on Ebay and they Did recieve a FvF on the Item,,,Then It Might be a Legal issue if they do not Refund you Fee,,,Also being that it was indeed Stated on your Auction, and you Did Indeed Advise them after the auction,,I think that you will Be Ok,,,I Would Contact Ebay about this,,

personally I think that the legal issue is, if a buyer wants you to ship to an unverified address, then I have right to cancel, end of story. Why on earth they give buyer opportunity to stop cancelation of fees, I have no idea, but I can only guess it works in ebays pockets favour quite often....

I totally get now GBs point (btw thanks for moving this thread) that maybe I could have asked paypal, if that person had an ebay account and was it verified, I wonder if they would give me that info? interesting..

GB flustered? now I know the meaning of 'cant hear yourself think'....

I will update you once Ive contacted ebay anyway..
Old 01-09-2011
Administrator

Thanked 1,568 Times in 861 Posts
Activity: 28%

I have refused to ship 3 items where the customers have refused to cancel transactions in the last year for various reasons.

And in ALL cases, I was able to get my Final Value Fee refunded through eBay chat after explaining my case.
Old 01-09-2011
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 89%

All of this means nothing. You can ship it to wear ever you like, use signature required, get the signature and still loose. All they have to say is they were sent a box of rocks! I would never sell anything with real value on the net ever! I have a Christmas gift I want to unload worth about 600.00 bucks and I'm afraid to get scammed selling it. Craigslist or bust for me.
Old 01-09-2011

Longevity: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyGotMeToo View Post
I have refused to ship 3 items where the customers have refused to cancel transactions in the last year for various reasons.

And in ALL cases, I was able to get my Final Value Fee refunded through eBay chat after explaining my case.
This is my experience also
Old 01-09-2011

Here's an example of a letter you could maybe send her

Hi (insert name)

I sent a cancellation to you, on your behalf basically, knowing you are not in agreement with the terms of the listing/contract you entered into with me. I provide excellent customer service and do my best to make my customers issues and concerns, my issues and concerns

Surprisingly I have received it back unapproved.

You have made it clear you have no intention of abiding by your EBAY user agreement pertaining to this transaction which is ok with me, but when you allow our transaction to stand know you are putting yourself in violation of Ebays Malicious Bidding Policy. I apologize but I cannot be a party to this. As a Seller, I must abide by Ebay's Seller/User agreements and can only encourage you to do the same

By definition, violating Ebay's Malicious Bidding Policy means a customer who does not meet the terms of the listing upon bidding or a customer who is refusing to meet the terms of the listing upon bidding. You are the latter

So far you have not followed through with the terms of the bid (aka legal contract between us) by disallowing me to fulfill my side of the transaction. This is a difficult place you have put me in.

The legal contract you entered into with me by bidding on my item is binding. Ebay frowns upon it's members violating their Ebay user agreements, as this is a binding contract between you and Ebay. It also frowns upon it's users violating their User Agreements with other Ebay Members. You are attempting to do both, and possibly Paypals User Agreement also (Ebay owns Paypal). Suspension and/or permanent suspension can be the result for anyone who willfully violates even one of Ebay's policies. I don't know about you but I appreciate the opportunity to be a part of Ebay.

I have generously given you an "out" but cannot force you to to accept it. You are free to violate Ebays Policies until the cows come home but I cannot be a party to it, I am very sorry.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you, I will be happy to answer your questions. Again I am re-sending of this request. Best wishes to you and a safe, happy New Year[/B]
Old 01-09-2011

Here's a reply if she wants you to mail the item to her verified address on file

Thanks for your reply and decision. I appreciate you want me to now mail the item to your address, the verified address on file, but in providing excellent customer service to you I have already honored your first decision. Your first decision of not wanting to abide by the terms of the agreement with me by disallowing me to mail it to you

Thus instead I send you an "out" which would not alert Ebay to any violation of their policies (since it is all done via computer) and would unbind both of us from this contract.

So you are still in good standing, no problem there, even though you denied the first request. I will consider how to handle this and get back to you very soon, promise. Thanks for your return communication

Best Regards,
Old 01-10-2011
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

hi, thanks for advice I contacted ebay and they refunded it no probs, that actually made me quite happy with them for a change, what I dont like it these mismatched rules Ive got to abide by in order to sell and be protected, and they give seller right to override it, and surprise surprise ebay profits from that, if they didnt, do you really think that rule would exist? Can you resend a cancellation request? didnt know that...thanks anyway guys, never come across this exact situation before, It is hard to cover everything in your T&C and if they are ignored by an automaton anyway, I may as well not bother. Shipping things of value, hmm I know, thats what made me extra jumpy....
Old 01-10-2011

Oompa I can't remember now if you can re-send a cancellation request, sorry its been a while. If not, was thinking you could contact Ebay to let them know she agreed to cancel the transaction (if she did). They would certainly be happy it was resolved.

On another note, I noticed Ebay has changed their malicious buying policy to calling it an Unwanted Buying policy which is disheartening.

Since she wouldn't agree to cancel the transaction to receive her refund... guess I am not sure how it benefits you for her to receive a refund against her will? You can refund her yourself thru your paypal account as you know but I assume that means you don't get the final value fees?

She doesn't want a refund or she'd agree to the cancellation. YET....clearly you're not a bank so you can't just hold her money in safe keeping for her until she decides one day she wants it back. I'd probably tell her there is money reserved for chargebacks but to be fair it must go to the Ebayers who follow the rules first, then let her know you will contact her as soon as you are able to refund her that large amount of money though she doesn't want the refund, you will graciously check in in about 2 weeks, then tell her for now it is best we end it, it is not productive for either of us and we've hit a brick wall. Then I'd have thanked her but your way may be better.

I haven't contacted EBAY much except when we received harassment at home from that one stalker guy who is also a Seller. EBAY insisted upon giving out my personal info which totally infuriated me. They are dangerous. I had to change all of my personal info on file, told them this was rediculous because I had real transactions going on but Ebay was making me do it

Even if I were to file a police report they would STILL give out my personal info So ever since then, I have no respect for Ebay though I do sell sometimes during free insertion days. Their trust and safety dept is a joke. Amazon will not give your personal info out to customers, and a PO Box or UPS store PO BOX can be used in place of your real address. Much safer.

Ebay has never broken their own rules with me in 5 years. Twice I've called in 5 years about a transaction but I always read the customers multiple EBAY Violations to them...and explained how i don't want the buyer suspended for being in violation of A, B & C violation unless that this is what is needed, but I always tell the I hope they have a better solution and they usually do. It has always sufficed enough, not been my preference but certainly never penalized my Account.

It would take cahoonas to tell me that not only are they aiding the customer to break his customer agreement with them, they are taking the liberty to break their own customer agreement with me. You have to keep them focused on the terms of the agreement you have with EBAY, it's actually a good agreement. I use Wells Fargo so in one quick minute, I can notify them to block ebay from having access to my bank account if they attempt anything unethical. I asked about it prior to opening the accounts which is why I stick with Wells Fargo

If she was my customer, I'd probably let her know I'd done all I can, but please understand I can't help but encourage a cancellation of our agreement since she is essentially disallowing you the goods to be provided, then remind her n good conscious it isn't right for anyone to pay for something and not receive it, even at their request. They work hard for their money as we all do. You want her to enjoy what she ordered. I try to keep honoring their choices because it seems once control is taken away from them, they are more likely to give neg feedback. But who knows, it is so hard to predict what customers will do and difficult to know what is the correct response