Buyer sent wrong item back - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 05-05-2011

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 85%
Default Buyer sent wrong item back

So I got scammed by a buyer, he said item was damaged, and after he filed claim with paypal was asked to return it to me. When I received the package, it had some books in it WTF! I took pictures and sent them to paypal, am I going to win this case or what?? Anyone else been through this?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-05-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,342 Times in 961 Posts
Activity: 6%
Longevity: 76%

Case will be lost more than likely. Did both of you use tracking of any sort?
Old 05-05-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
So I got scammed by a buyer, he said item was damaged, and after he filed claim with paypal was asked to return it to me. When I received the package, it had some books in it WTF! I took pictures and sent them to paypal, am I going to win this case or what?? Anyone else been through this?
Some here have. There was a really long thread months ago. Suggestion was, and still is, to open such packages in front of a postal services with a camera to hand. In other words, have a witness.

Problem now is that even though YOU know the buyer scammed, it will be your word against theirs. Bar steward knew exactly what to do. paypal may be ignorant enough to say 'you got the item back' so where's the problem. It is a luck thing.
ShadyOne (05-05-2011), TGMT² (05-05-2011)
Old 05-05-2011
Administrator

Thanked 1,568 Times in 861 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean™ View Post
to open such packages in front of a postal services with a camera to hand.
Great Advice!

That is exactly what I do and my USPS, FedEx & UPS carriers are expecting me to run out of the house with camera in hand when they deliver a package. :D
Old 05-06-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkown5454 View Post
Case will be lost more than likely. Did both of you use tracking of any sort?
Yes, tracking was used on both ends.
Old 05-06-2011

Longevity: 75%

i had this happen to me a while back. i sold a phone. the buyer sent it back saying it was "broken" well all i got back was a box full of papers. so i filed a police report and showed it to paypal. and i ended up winning the case. depending on how much the item was worth i would ether just eat it or if it is more then you are willing to eat you might have to file a police report. but make sure you call paypal and tell them that you are going to do that and see if that will help. It was years ago that i had done this so the policy may have changed.

And a side note the buyer who tried scamming me ended up getting criminal charges filed because the item was over a $ amount. So the good guys won that round.
Old 05-06-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Some here have. There was a really long thread months ago. Suggestion was, and still is, to open such packages in front of a postal services with a camera to hand. In other words, have a witness.

Problem now is that even though YOU know the buyer scammed, it will be your word against theirs. Bar steward knew exactly what to do. paypal may be ignorant enough to say 'you got the item back' so where's the problem. It is a luck thing.
Paypal requested that I file a police report, but like you said, it's going to come down to my word against theirs.
Old 05-06-2011

If you are willing to go the extra step and file a police report you will 9.5 times out of 10 win. this is showing paypal that you are willing to go the extra mile to do something about it. Just think there are millions of people who use paypal every day and this type of thing does happen more they you would like it too. so paypal does know this and they will side with you on the matter if you have the police backing you. It is a pain i the ass but if you think it is worth it i would do it. it all comes down to the amount of money i would guess. like if the phone i sold was only 50 bucks i would have ate it but it was not so there was no way i was going too.
Old 05-06-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak View Post
i had this happen to me a while back. i sold a phone. the buyer sent it back saying it was "broken" well all i got back was a box full of papers. so i filed a police report and showed it to paypal. and i ended up winning the case. depending on how much the item was worth i would ether just eat it or if it is more then you are willing to eat you might have to file a police report. but make sure you call paypal and tell them that you are going to do that and see if that will help. It was years ago that i had done this so the policy may have changed.

And a side note the buyer who tried scamming me ended up getting criminal charges filed because the item was over a $ amount. So the good guys won that round.
How funny, I was asked to file a police report. I guess I may have a chance here. The only difference in my case is that he was from a different country, so doubt there will be any criminal charges filed against them.
Old 05-06-2011

you cant win the Lottery if you don't buy a ticket.

So go get the report filed and give paypal what they want.
Old 05-06-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
If you are willing to go the extra step and file a police report you will 9.5 times out of 10 win. this is showing paypal that you are willing to go the extra mile to do something about it. Just think there are millions of people who use paypal every day and this type of thing does happen more they you would like it too. so paypal does know this and they will side with you on the matter if you have the police backing you. It is a pain i the ass but if you think it is worth it i would do it. it all comes down to the amount of money i would guess. like if the phone i sold was only 50 bucks i would have ate it but it was not so there was no way i was going too.
So did you ever find out what happened to the buyer? The dollar amount was $450.
Old 05-06-2011

never found out what happened but i know that with the report payapl was about to go after him for the money. I was just happy i got my money back. But i know the cops were i live said they had him arrested for scamming over state lines something like that but again did not want to get to involved as he did have my address.
Old 05-06-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
never found out what happened but i know that with the report payapl was about to go after him for the money. I was just happy i got my money back. But i know the cops were i live said they had him arrested for scamming over state lines something like that but again did not want to get to involved as he did have my address.
Ya I guess could careless what happens to the buyer as well, I just want the money back lol.
Old 05-06-2011
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
Paypal requested that I file a police report, but like you said, it's going to come down to my word against theirs.
Oh yipee, how helpful paypal are, NOT.

Stealth account for you?
High valued item?
All the buyers details available?
Old 05-06-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:

Stealth account for you?
High valued item?
This account was not stealth, valued a little over $450, and I only have the buyers details that were provided from paypal. I'm with you, I have my doubts about this one. I guess I will get a report and keep everyone posted.
Old 05-06-2011
Executive [VIP]

File a report: at the very least you owe to YOURSELF to get resolution.
Karma will meet that buyer.
Old 05-06-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:

Stealth account for you?
High valued item?
I believe high valued to paypal is considered anything over $2500. Nothing near that ballpark.
Old 05-06-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,933 Times in 8,224 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

You have contact info of the buyer right?
Old 05-06-2011

Happened to me over Christmas and one of the reasons I need a new account. Buyer returned a box of papers instead of the toy I sent her.

Because she had a DC number PP sided with her. One $150 transaction to the negative messed me up with EB & PP because I didn't have the money to cover that return as well as two others and my Dec. seller fees. Turned into a giant snowball, the only way to get them the money I owe is to sell, but I can't. I feel you ((Hugs))
Old 05-06-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
You have contact info of the buyer right?
Ya I have the address.
Old 05-06-2011

Send a message via MSN to ShadyOne

A technique for lowering the chance of this happening again in the future is to give many signals in your eBay listing decriprtion about what techniques you do or might have in place to prevent fraud/scamming

You obviously have to word it correctly as to not put of genuine buyers.

A brief example would be if you were selling mobile phones, you could display in your listing that you record all unique information such as the IMEI numbers etc etc. The idea can pbviously be taken further than this, that is just one example I have used.

It is just a technique to possibly decrease the likelyhood of this happening, showing them that you may be a few steps ahead of them, which will likely make them take their scamming elsewhere.

To some other poor eBay seller

Last edited by ShadyOne; 05-06-2011 at 08:06 PM.