Jav's Tale: Need advice.. - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 02-13-2012
Subscribed [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 77%
Default Jav's Tale: Need advice..

Okay, yeah am not that new here.
But this is actually the first time I have had been suspended from eBay
for drop-shipping. Which I just learned after being suspended,
was not allowed?

Anyway, I was doing good on a buyer account, built it's feedback to over 120 in a year or so,
and used that feedback to turn it into a seller's account
and sell some items via drop-shipper who was located in the US.

I come from a small nation in the Pacific, where life is hard,
and the minimum wage is less than $2.00 an hour. That is,
if you are lucky to even have a job....

Anyway, after spending countless hours and sleepless nights,
only motivated by the thought to make a better life for myself and my family,
I stumbled onto what I had learned much later was "drop-shipping".
I researched further into what exactly what was involved in it,
and how one could actually make a decent living off it.
I read the negatives and positives of it, aside from watching some Youtube videos...

I decided to go and pursue it,
but that I would put some rules first, as I wanted to do the business
legitimately and as honest as can be.....

1) Supplier must ship items within 1-3 days (24hrs is best)
2) Supplier must ship via private courier and provide tracking numbers
3) Supplier only ships to specific places (not high risk areas)
4) Supplier only receives payment after items have been delivered
5) Supplier covers all fees (taken/deducted from the sold amount payed)

Found a supplier who met this criteria within a week,
and started posting the items and made a fair decent amount of money.
First month went good, all items were delivered and payment was sent to supplier, kept commissions, paid all fees.
Second month, also good, all items were delivered (except one where the buyer accidentally put the wrong address for delivery),
payment sent to supplier, kept commissions, paid all fees.
Then the third month......started selling more items and then making more money, as was about to sell my 17th item for the month,
eB ay sends me an email (MC195) that my account (which had more than 180 positive feedback, no negatives)
was suspended, because of "recent activity has raised some concerns about the security of your account". Wtf.
Such as me selling and making some money?? Which what eB ay was designed to do for??

Immediately a few days or couple days later,
I get messages from my valued customers that they noticed that
my eB ay account was "no longer registered", and that they were worried
if this was a scam or something or if they would get the items they paid for.
Of course I couldn't message them back on eB ay, so I manually
looked for their email addresses associated to Pa ypal they used to
make payment. I emailed them back about the situation,
and assured them, their items were on their way to being shipped
and would receive tracking numbers shortly, and if they wanted to cancel their order for a full refund, I would do so.
Which for some customers, I did.

I called up eB ay's so called "customer service",
the very moment I was connected to an agent, I knew that I was
just connected to someone working for an overseas Call Center,
most likely in the Philippines. I know their accents....
I told the agent about my account, and he said he would check it
as to why it was. Took 5 minutes, and got back to me asked
if I was drop-shipping. Just for the sake of honesty, I said yes,
and he said that eB ay doesn't allow sellers to sell items that are not
within their possession. And I told him that, that there were no problems
with my transactions and that every item arrived at their destination,
and that we shipped via Private courier, all items were updated with tracking
and customers even left 5 star feedback! He just said something that was
incoherent and said, that they would not allow me to sell on eB ay ever again,
unless I promise to not drop-ship anymore.
I valued the good feedback and reputation of the account more,
so I agreed (knowing that someday I would return to drop-shipping).
He told me that it would take within 48 hours for the account
to be reinstated. So, I thought, okay, problem solved. Account will be back
within 2 days....

2 days passed, no reinstatement yet.
Next day, I get an email from eB ay, looked shady,
couldn't tell if it was actually from eB ay, but it went like this:
----------------------------------------------------------------
Dear XXXX,

Thank you for contacting eBay in regard to your suspension. For us to
further help you, you can send an appeal via email to proact@ebay.com.
We just need to verify some of your information and business practices
before we can reinstate your account. We thank you for your patience
regarding this and rest assured you can get back to your eBay account.
Thank you for choosing eBay!

Regards,
eBay Trust & Safety
------------------------------------------------------------------

So, basically they lied to me,
and wanted me to get on my knees, beg and plead.
For doing something that was safe, and being high risk,
let alone hurting the community or anyone.

I called up the "customer service", once again.
Spoke to a female agent with an accent, told me that it would
be "prioritized and moved up to the supervisors",
and after 2 months. Nothing. Just a bunch of lying a**holes.

Am pissed as heck at them,
but what can I do?

I barely made $2,000 in sales for the month,
most of it I gave to the supplier, and paid Paypal for.
I also withdrew some money to my ATM, I have $300 left in
the Paypal account. I removed my bank and cancelled the automatic
withdrawal that eB ay would get for the seller fees.
They sent me an email that I owed $271.

Like I said, am pissed as heck at them,
and I could definitely use the money, especially now
since I have alot of bills to pay.

I know I should pay the fees,
as I have read in countless other threads,
but since am not within the mainland USA, I don't think my credit
score would be affected. Also its all bogus names and addresses
on all accounts.

Sorry for the long long post of my eB ay tale,
but I really need some advice....

Do I really have to pay eB ay for the $271 in fees?
$271 goes a long way where I am from and currently at.
I know the amount isn't much for most of you successful entrepreneurs,
but for me......it's alot.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

*PS: I posted here in the paid subscriber forums, to filter and weed out
certain types....if you know what I mean. Could have posted in the Ebay fees forum,
but wanted mainly members of reputation and experience to post here.

Last edited by Javelin; 02-13-2012 at 09:14 AM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-13-2012
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 76%

Wow, that was a long story. I'm shocked I actually read it... Some of the other threads you have ready in regards to paying fees, are targeted at people who choose to not pay fees at all and just move onto a new account. This is a pretty dodgy practice.

Since it sounds like you have been indefinitely suspended, why would you pay the fees? I certainly have never paid fees on a suspended account...
The Following User Says Thank You to biggunn For This Useful Post:
Javelin (02-13-2012)
Old 02-13-2012
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 73%

I'd normally refrain from saying you should not pay your fees but in this case, I agree with biggun on this.

In all likelihood this account is dead in the water & you would appear to have little or no recourse on this eb/pp a/c.It would appear to be pretty pointless to pay the sums which you have a more pressing need elsewhere for.

I would start afresh under the stealth guise & learn you lessons from this episode.

Javelin (02-13-2012)
Old 02-13-2012
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

@ Biggun: Haha. Yes, quite a long story indeed. I felt that I needed to clarify some things and bring transparency to the thread about my story and side of things. Thus why the thread is so long and full of information. Haha. But yes, I do appreciate your advice and being the first to post in this thread. I greatly appreciate it. I went ahead and withdrew the remaining $300 I made in commissions, so now the Pa ypal account has $0.00 balance. I do not know why they lied and told me that the account would be reinstated after I agreed to their terms, then they send me an email saying I must talk and email this/that, I instead called customer service again, and they basically lied to me all over again. It's not right.

@ SUVE: Thank you for backing and verifying what I think/thought I should do. Yes, the account is indeed dead in the water, and it's a shame it had to end that way, as it was a great account to make a living on. Why does eB ay continue to go with its bullying and totalitarianism ways? I have paid all my fees, customers never had any problems and got their items within 3-4 days, I answered all questions, verified my identity via phone call to them (on a stealth account mind you), all items where shipped within 24-48 hours with legit and real tracking numbers, I always made sure my customers were happy, and the listings displayed all the necessary info about the items. I have had my sneaking suspicions about the site/company for quite some time now. They do not want you the average person to make money. For a site that is based on buying and selling, its quite ludicrous how they treat their legitimate buyers and sellers. But what can you do? The site gets the most traffic out of any e-commerce site. You just have to shrug it off and move forward again. Thanks for you additional advice and input.

Either way, I will be using the remaining $300 to pay for my apartment monthly fees (rent/elect./water) and taking my wife out for a good dinner on valentines day.
Which all you guys need to do for your wives/gf's/partners! Take them out
for a good Valentines dinner and/or give them some roses to commemorate the occasion.

Thank you for your advice and words of encouragement!!
It has been a great big help!!

Happy Valentines Day everybody!
Old 02-13-2012
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
@ Biggun: Haha. Yes, quite a long story indeed. I felt that I needed to clarify some things and bring transparency to the thread about my story and side of things. Thus why the thread is so long and full of information. Haha. But yes, I do appreciate your advice and being the first to post in this thread. I greatly appreciate it. I went ahead and withdrew the remaining $300 I made in commissions, so now the Pa ypal account has $0.00 balance. I do not know why they lied and told me that the account would be reinstated after I agreed to their terms, then they send me an email saying I must talk and email this/that, I instead called customer service again, and they basically lied to me all over again. It's not right.
The people you talk to on the phone are just call center reps that want to get you off the phone as soon as possible. They are just telling you what you want to hear. I'm surprised they didn't tell you to pay your fees for a better chance...
Old 02-14-2012

Activity: 5%

Agree with the above this account is worthless you have some high hopes of being reinstated. Just take it as a lesson learned and IMO first would be eliminate that drop shipping. You said your supplier is on credit with you? So tell him to send you the products on 30 day credit? I would say thats the most sensible and very first thing you should do thing.!!

Then start over and spread the sales out so your not stuck like this again. I havent lost an account in over a yr but trust me that doesnt mean I dont think about it everyday. For this reason many of my accounts can all go down at the same time and I will only be one small step behind and at no loss of my income. Why? Because I plan for the worst and hope for the best.

You seemed like you have a pretty good sense of things, so start treating it more like a real business. You need a business plan and think of all aspects of it.! For many things you need to look at your business from the customers point of view. Not just how the auction image looks etc.. thats common sense stuff but more along the lines of what if a customer wants proof of my product authenticity? or of my business? what do I have in place. If they need more pics? they need troubleshooting advice? how does your packaging look? What to do with the worst case scenario customers? How to prevent the complaining customers? what if I lose my current supplier? What to do if your inventory suddenly disappeared or damaged for any reason? what if someone broke passed your home security and stole the safe out of the panic room?

These are just a few of the beginner things you need to know Once you start operating properly then you will think that $271 was just a night out and not your last drop of money for bills. Im saying this for the best and trying to get you on a better track. Im sure your area is poor but im also sure there are people there with money, even if its just a very few...why cant you be one of those few too? Anyways wish you the best of luck and I hope some of my thoughts will help you down the road
The Following User Says Thank You to accutinting For This Useful Post:
Javelin (02-14-2012)
Old 02-14-2012
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

@ Biggun: Yeah. I realized that, and these customer service reps are just call center agents hired by a third party representing eB ay. I think these reps were put in place because of how they deal with situations like these and irate customers. Putting them down and lying to them. Which is what eB ay likes and encourages among its staff. Makes me sick when I think about it, how evil people and corporations can be. Is this how Democracy should be??

@ Accutinting: Yes, I did treat it like a real business, in fact, it's the only business I was running at the time. Haha, and where I was getting money from...I always made it a priority to think from the customers point of view. If I was buying the products I was selling, how would I want my seller to treat me and accommodate my many questions and concerns? Thus, I made it a priority to always answer any customer messages and emails within minutes of them being sent (I used to spend hours on the PC when I had this account, just to monitor the listings and answer any questions promptly so as to not miss any opportunity for more customers/bidders/buyers).
And yes, about product authenticity, I did make sure my supplier sent me a copy/unit of the products he wanted me to sell, so I can verify it's authenticity. Which checked out. Troubleshooting, really isn't a question in regards to the items I was selling...no electronics, those things are high risk. I made sure to begin with, to not sell any electronics, so many variables and ways to get scammed. The supplier provided me with a photo of how the packages would be shipped, and also with them being transported via Private courier (DHL/FedEx), they were obligated to be nicely packed and sealed. I also got a bunch of positive feedback complimenting on how "nicely, safely, and excellently secured" the items were in the packages. I was telling the customer service to check my feedback, on the wonderful positive comments/praise I had received on my account, but they didn't care. Kept on telling it its all circumstantial or something incoherent, couldn't understand the accent. And as far as worse case scenario, I always made sure that if worse comes to worse, aside from fully refunding the buyer, I would be communicating with them throughout the whole affair, my supplier even conditioned if such cases were to occur, rather than get negative feedback, that he would send a replacement at no cost. I had a pretty decent stand up supplier, I was lucky. Although, I really should have posted and asked for the supplier to have taken more pics...
I always made sure, I had enough funds in the accounts to pay for every worse case scenario that could happen. And made sure the supplier got his payment,
only after I made sure everything was alright with the buyer, they were happy,
and item arrived safely. The supplier, myself and the buyer were always satisfied with the transaction at the end of the day. That's how a business in my eyes should run.
And eB ay took that away from me. Makes me sad when I think about it.
But yes, as many of you said. Just learn, get up, dust yourself off and start over again
from scratch. For life and success loves a determined individual who never loses hope. Just keep on getting back up and going at it again.

Sorry again for the long post. Just had alot to talk about. Haha. Thank you for your replies as they have really helped me understand and analyze the situation more about what to do in the future. Hopefully those who are in the same boat can read this thread and learn from it as well. After all, this is what this site is meant for! Thank you!

Last edited by Javelin; 02-14-2012 at 01:00 AM.