USPS Shipping questions - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 04-12-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 55%
Default USPS Shipping questions

I had a problem at the post office a couple weeks ago where I made a HUGE scene with their manager. They had 4 lanes open and 3 of the ladies I've known for months after dropping stuff off every other day.

The 4th lady I assumed was knew and I had to get my stuff scanned with her. I combined two longways *large priority flat rate* boxes to fit an item. I've dropped off about 30 of these.

She wouldn't accept them first because I paid by weight (paid $8 instead of the $17.25 for flat rate x2) and said I had to pay up to the flat rate box to use flat rate. I argued I've used this method for months and the ladies I knew kept quiet that I've been doing this! I guess I've been getting away with it..

I looked it up and realized there are rules against the flat rate boxes but I didn't find any rules about mailing boxes. If I use 2-3 longways *mailing priority boxes* and tape them up and pay by weight... I'd be fine right? I'd be using these boxes for their correct purpose but I'm still technically manipulating them. Theres another USPS store that I was going to drop these off at.

Note: I could order custom plain boxes. But, I'm getting out of this niche as its becoming too crowded on eBay so I wouldn't like to drop $50 for boxes for my last few items.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 04-12-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 63%
Default Re: USPS Shipping questions

All flat rate boxes and flat rate envelopes are suppose to be used for flat rate shipping only. You are not suppose to use flat rate envelopes or flat rate boxes for anything else. I have asked about this and my post offices will not allow me to do it either.

Maybe just avoid the noobie at your post office
Old 04-12-2015
Threadstarter  

Thats what I was thinking. But, I don't want to risk having to void that label and spend another 10 min unpacking and packing again. I'm going to try putting together regular mailing boxes, priority mail specific, and see how that goes.
Old 04-12-2015

Longevity: 80%

first of all, you are not ALLOWED TO MODIFY flatrate boxes at all. they must be able to seal on their own with the provided self seal adhesive.

you have been getting away with it but thats usually what happens when older employees know u are doing semi volume.
Old 04-12-2015
Threadstarter  

Yes, I obviously now realize that
Old 04-13-2015

Longevity: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobrockz View Post
I had a problem at the post office a couple weeks ago where I made a HUGE scene with their manager.
This was dumb.

But yeah, like everyone else said - you were manipulating stuff and the people you see every day were letting you get away with it.

Next time something like this happens - not just with USPS, but with anywhere along the supply-chain of stealth operations, you need to learn to:
  1. Smile
  2. Say "Okay"
  3. Calmly take your package back and say you'll fix the problem
  4. Thank the person for correcting you.
  5. STFU.

It doesn't matter if you were right or wrong, there is no reason to cause ripples with anything you're doing. From buying VCC's, to shipping things out, to dealing with your ISP; It will only cause you problems with your stealth operations.

Next time put the parcel through the APC, or many Post Offices have a special window to put pre-paid parcels through that don't fit in the APC box. Find out if there's an area where you can drop off your prepaid packages without waiting on line. They'll usually say yes.

Or you can try to cover up or use a marker to X-out the words "Flat Rate" on the side of packaging.

Or you can buy packing paper to wrap your boxes in. As long as you're not using USPS packaging to ship Media Mail or 1st Class, they shouldn't look into it.
Old 04-13-2015
Threadstarter  

What you suggested included manipulating the packages.

Thanks for the input
Old 04-13-2015

Activity: 11%
Longevity: 53%

I've got a question related to the OP.

I take those priority mail paper envelopes from the post office (free) and ship First Class with them. They are too big for the items I sell, so I cut them into 4ths and ship 4 packages with 1 paper envelope. This saves me money buying small bubble mailers.

Since I am still buying labels from USPS, I figure they wouldn't care. I'm just shipping First Class instead of Priority. Do you think this would cause an issue down the line?
Old 04-13-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,945 Times in 8,236 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh04 View Post
I've got a question related to the OP.

I take those priority mail paper envelopes from the post office (free) and ship First Class with them. They are too big for the items I sell, so I cut them into 4ths and ship 4 packages with 1 paper envelope. This saves me money buying small bubble mailers.

Since I am still buying labels from USPS, I figure they wouldn't care. I'm just shipping First Class instead of Priority. Do you think this would cause an issue down the line?
IT is hit and miss from what I saw - you could be nailed with insufficient postage, never-know-when
Old 04-14-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobrockz View Post
Thats what I was thinking. But, I don't want to risk having to void that label and spend another 10 min unpacking and packing again. I'm going to try putting together regular mailing boxes, priority mail specific, and see how that goes.
You have to go to a post office that's an independent (private owner)
or drop off at Staples. Their employees change like underwear
so you should be good.
Old 04-14-2015

Longevity: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh04 View Post
Yes.

atleast10characters.