PayPal restricted my account after selling spike!! - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe
     

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!


Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-14-2019
Ill Be Back's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 87
Thanks: 11
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 43%
iTrader: (0)
Default PayPal restricted my account after selling spike!!

Hi everyone.

I'll try and keep this short. I had an eBay store along with a PayPal account that was going for 4 years. It was a slow selling store which mainly sold clothing with prices averaging 10 pounds on most items. A month ago I went to a reputable auction house and won a bid for 60 perfumes. These perfumes were all genuine by the way. I decided to list the perfumes individually on that very store. I listed each of them in a bid format so that 10 perfumes would end in a single week. On average each one would sell for around 50 pounds. I managed to sell 30 in a month.

So 2 days ago I received a message from PayPal that began with

"As part of our commitment to providing the best possible experience for buyers and sellers, we perform routine reviews of merchant accounts"

It goes on to ask for information about where I obtain my stock, a reason as to why I had a sudden change in merchandise as well as asking me to provide a copy of my passport and some tracking numbers for the perfumes being sold.

I had proof of the receipt from the auction house, tracking numbers as well as the passport document ready to send. Right before I could even submit a thing I was hit with the "PayPal appeal refused" email within hours!! Refused when I didn't even submit any documents. I am guessing that someone manually reviewed the account and maybe the passport photo didn't hold up?


So my question is. How does one go about selling items like this successfully. I know it was my fault for the sales spiking so quickly but isn't this how business grows sometimes. I still want to sell perfumes as the auction house receives pallets of perfumes all the time. What would be the best strategy for me? Should I spread the sales across multiple stores? What if I started a new store + PayPal that sold items at 50 pounds each from the very start so it's not seen as a spike? I don't really want to compromise on the speed of selling them everyday as it's a great way of earning.

Any feedback will be appreciated

Last edited by Ill Be Back; 08-14-2019 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Infomation left out
Reply With Quote
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

  #2  
Old 08-14-2019
phaz0rz's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,668
Thanks: 1,750
Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,342 Posts
Activity: 83%
Longevity: 31%
iTrader: (2)
Default Re: PayPal restricted my account after selling spike!!

Start very slow with only 1 or 2 bottles the first month, then double that the next month, double again the 3rd month.. growing at that pace until you are where you want to be. If you're doing auctions it shouldn't be too hard to avoid spikes, right?

Spreading sales to other accounts (repeating the same process) is a good idea too since perfumes are risky due to counterfeits, and you could randomly have accounts go down at any time while you're selling them.
__________________
____________
_______
___
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-14-2019
Ill Be Back's Avatar
Junior Member
Threadstarter  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 87
Thanks: 11
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 43%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: PayPal restricted my account after selling spike!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
Start very slow with only 1 or 2 bottles the first month, then double that the next month, double again the 3rd month.. growing at that pace until you are where you want to be. If you're doing auctions it shouldn't be too hard to avoid spikes, right?

Spreading sales to other accounts (repeating the same process) is a good idea too since perfumes are risky due to counterfeits, and you could randomly have accounts go down at any time while you're selling them.
Thank you for your response. I understand that doing it this way is slow but obviously safer. I'm just worried because I don't understand PayPal's algorithm and not sure what might be seen as pushing it too far.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-14-2019
phaz0rz's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,668
Thanks: 1,750
Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,342 Posts
Activity: 83%
Longevity: 31%
iTrader: (2)
Default Re: PayPal restricted my account after selling spike!!

It goes by risk. When you have your sales spike in a category you don't usually sell in (you haven't proven yourself in) they get nervous because you could end up with a bunch of mad customers if they're shipped bad products, whether you did in on purpose or not.
__________________
____________
_______
___
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phaz0rz For This Useful Post:
kruszkush (09-15-2019)
  #5  
Old 08-14-2019
Ill Be Back's Avatar
Junior Member
Threadstarter  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 87
Thanks: 11
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 43%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: PayPal restricted my account after selling spike!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
It goes by risk. When you have your sales spike in a category you don't usually sell in (you haven't proven yourself in) they get nervous because you could end up with a bunch of mad customers if they're shipped bad products, whether you did in on purpose or not.
I understand. Guess I'll just have to go slow and probably just do it on multiple stores. As for them not even giving me a chance to submit my documents do you think it was because the ID might have failed? The drivers license passed the first time, perhaps it wasn't good enough in this time round. Either that or they thought the perfumes were too high risk.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-14-2019
james_112233's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 850
Thanks: 255
Thanked 192 Times in 147 Posts
Activity: 58%
Longevity: 20%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: PayPal restricted my account after selling spike!!

It's the sudden sales in that category. Should have started off slow.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-14-2019
rsot's Avatar
Executive [VIP]
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 58,887
Thanks: 4,655
Thanked 7,176 Times in 6,541 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 77%
iTrader: (7)
Default Re: PayPal restricted my account after selling spike!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
Start very slow with only 1 or 2 bottles the first month, then double that the next month, double again the 3rd month.. growing at that pace until you are where you want to be. If you're doing auctions it shouldn't be too hard to avoid spikes, right?

Spreading sales to other accounts (repeating the same process) is a good idea too since perfumes are risky due to counterfeits, and you could randomly have accounts go down at any time while you're selling them.
Spreading sales to other accounts - stealth accounts - is a good backup plan OP
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-15-2019
Ill Be Back's Avatar
Junior Member
Threadstarter  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 87
Thanks: 11
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 43%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: PayPal restricted my account after selling spike!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_112233 View Post
It's the sudden sales in that category. Should have started off slow.
Is there a guide in how slow exactly? Like has anyone in this forum figured out a formula that isn't too slow but isn't too quick. For example if I were to sell 2 bottles a month and double up every month it will take me a very long time to even consider investing on buying more perfumes until maybe a year in.

Of course I will want to spread it across multiple stealth stores but in your experience how many high ticket items would you list on initially to be considered safe?

Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-15-2019
Ill Be Back's Avatar
Junior Member
Threadstarter  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 87
Thanks: 11
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 43%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: PayPal restricted my account after selling spike!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Spreading sales to other accounts - stealth accounts - is a good backup plan OP
Thanks Rsot. Will you say it's a good idea to start a new store and start off selling 1 bottle of perfume as the first listing or do you think I should sell cheaper low risk items.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-16-2019
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 491
Thanks: 143
Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Activity: 36%
Longevity: 26%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: PayPal restricted my account after selling spike!!

Try selling a few second hand items on each of your new accounts, before you go onto the new perfumes ,,Its not all bad youv got your self a good seller ,,you juts need more accounts so you can jump onto strait away when one goes down

So i take it your 4 year account was stealth ?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-16-2019
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 166
Thanks: 0
Thanked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Activity: 47%
Longevity: 6%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: PayPal restricted my account after selling spike!!

You are selling one of the most risky items. Issues will always catch up to you with what you are selling. You need to show in your listing that they are authentic...receipts, serial numbers, any proof.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-11-2019
Ill Be Back's Avatar
Junior Member
Threadstarter  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 87
Thanks: 11
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 43%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: PayPal restricted my account after selling spike!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradd View Post
Try selling a few second hand items on each of your new accounts, before you go onto the new perfumes ,,Its not all bad youv got your self a good seller ,,you juts need more accounts so you can jump onto strait away when one goes down

So i take it your 4 year account was stealth ?
Yeah I'm in the middle of building up a new store and doing just what you said by selling some second hand items.

That's correct the 4 year account was a stealth account. I was never a fast selling account. The average item was just 10 pounds. Issue really is that eBay accounts with low feedback are deemed untrustworthy when it comes to selling genuine perfumes so constantly trying to bring a store up is quite time consuming.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-11-2019
Ill Be Back's Avatar
Junior Member
Threadstarter  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 87
Thanks: 11
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 43%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: PayPal restricted my account after selling spike!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocumentRequest View Post
You are selling one of the most risky items. Issues will always catch up to you with what you are selling. You need to show in your listing that they are authentic...receipts, serial numbers, any proof.
I see, problem is with auction houses is that they don't provide receipts from where any of their stock came from. Most of them are undelivered or lost in transit going to major stores.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-12-2019
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 490
Thanks: 81
Thanked 174 Times in 126 Posts
Activity: 68%
Longevity: 42%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: PayPal restricted my account after selling spike!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ill Be Back View Post
Is there a guide in how slow exactly? Like has anyone in this forum figured out a formula that isn't too slow but isn't too quick. For example if I were to sell 2 bottles a month and double up every month it will take me a very long time to even consider investing on buying more perfumes until maybe a year in.

Of course I will want to spread it across multiple stealth stores but in your experience how many high ticket items would you list on initially to be considered safe?

Cheers
Because perfumes may be classed as high risk, your new account isn't completely safe even if you find that sweet, PayPal threshold you're looking for.

What phaz0rz told you above is pure gold. He really knows his stuff quite well so I would implement his advise if I were in your shoes. 2 items per account x 10 accounts is 20 perfumes in your first month alone. So go ahead and make more accounts if you can.

I know it can be hard waiting for your accounts to mature - but time will pass anyway whether you wait or not.
Congratulations on finding yourself a good niche.
Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-13-2019
Ill Be Back's Avatar
Junior Member
Threadstarter  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 87
Thanks: 11
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 43%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: PayPal restricted my account after selling spike!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandoras_box View Post
Because perfumes may be classed as high risk, your new account isn't completely safe even if you find that sweet, PayPal threshold you're looking for.

What phaz0rz told you above is pure gold. He really knows his stuff quite well so I would implement his advise if I were in your shoes. 2 items per account x 10 accounts is 20 perfumes in your first month alone. So go ahead and make more accounts if you can.

I know it can be hard waiting for your accounts to mature - but time will pass anyway whether you wait or not.
Congratulations on finding yourself a good niche.
Good luck.
Thank you, Yes at the moment I have only listed 2 this month and will be making another account. Here's the thing. I haven't been creating accounts for the past 2 years at least. At most I had 10 stores running simultaneously a few years ago. I have 4 now because it the other stores went below standard and restricted. Purely my fault. I made a new post the other day asking for speed and productivity tips. I am pretty much a one man band and find myself using up a lot of time printing addresses, answering questions and managing the work all on my own. If I had over 10 stores again I will constantly be thinking about logging on each one and working all day. I want my work life to be made more efficient. Do you have any tips on how I can do things a lot faster?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got suspensed for selling restricted item that is actually not restricted on amazon Jay210985 Amazon Suspensions 17 09-22-2019 05:10 AM
Paypal Limited my account for selling a non-restricted item!! tim348 PayPal Talk 1 08-14-2018 07:57 PM
Your selling account is restricted... deanmoney eBay Suspensions 13 09-10-2014 07:52 PM
'*' What Triggers a Spike In Funds in Paypal? Allurre07 PayPal Talk 9 03-19-2013 12:16 PM
Restricted selling account Emmayvonne UK eBay & Paypal 6 07-20-2011 10:19 AM


Aspkin Group

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 PM.


Stop the guessing games and learn how you can quickly and easily get back on eBay today!
Read the best selling step-by-step eBay Suspension guide eBay Stealth!
Amazon Suspension? Read Amazon Ghost to get back on Amazon!
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger
no new posts