Can’t login since 2 step verification! - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 06-13-2022

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 10%
Default Can’t login since 2 step verification!

Hi,

Since EBay introduced the 2 step verification I haven’t been able to log in. Every time I try I get asked to verify my phone number via text - it is an old number which I don’t have access to.

Anyone else having this issue? It’s been over a week now and I have items sold which I can’t post etc. I try live chat, no real help, agents can’t change my registered phone number and promise to add my name to a list for the IT team but nothing happens. If I try to phone I get through all the automated stuff and then eventually get cut off without speaking to anyone. Happened 5+ times so far.

I am starting to suspect EBay are intentionally denying me access as they no longer want me on the platform! I am using my real details, all ID/bank account verified however I have been suspended multiple times prior to managed payments coming in.

Any help would be appreciated..
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 06-14-2022

Activity: 88%
Longevity: 46%
Default Re: Can’t login since 2 step verification!

you need to call them , this is a new amateur problem created by ebay

they activate 2 step verification without asking to verify the mobile on file to make sure the number is still valid and they risk locking out plenty of sellers and bringing down their businesses due to inability to send out items. monkeys at work again
Old 06-14-2022

Longevity: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdered_by_ebay View Post
you need to call them , this is a new amateur problem created by ebay

they activate 2 step verification without asking to verify the mobile on file to make sure the number is still valid and they risk locking out plenty of sellers and bringing down their businesses due to inability to send out items. monkeys at work again

There's been a warning banner across the top of our accounts for ages. They make it clear you need to check your phone number is up to date, they did not simply activate it without due warning as you imply.
Old 06-14-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
There's been a warning banner across the top of our accounts for ages. They make it clear you need to check your phone number is up to date, they did not simply activate it without due warning as you imply.
a large portion of sellers will not be reading those banners anyway. and does the banner say something like this? "check your mobile otherwise we will lock you out and not allow you to send any orders to customers after which you will get suspended for bad performance"
Old 06-14-2022

Quote:
a large portion of sellers will not be reading those banners anyway. and does the banner say something like this? "check your mobile otherwise we will lock you out and not allow you to send any orders to customers after which you will get suspended for bad performance"
Bigger fools them then, can't take their account very seriously. All seemed pretty clear to me...and most other sellers too I suspect.

In any event, 99% of sellers will have an active number attached to their account, and many of those who don't will have seen the message and acted. The rest are simply going to have to ring them as you said - no biggie for the handful who it will affect.

Maybe those who don't take their account seriously are the 'monkeys' and not ebay and should be temporarily locked out. Just sayin'.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hank For This Useful Post:
Pandoras_box (07-02-2022)
Old 06-14-2022

and I am saying that 2 step verification is never activated unless phone number is confirmed as valid and unless there is a clear way to get access in case it is not valid

the monkeys on ebay support do not even know what is going on , once a seller is locked out they are not able to do anything

another funny thing here is that ebay are actually allowing people to use landline as main phone number and it remains allowed but at the same time they ask to receive sms on landline which is certainly a sign of incompetence
Old 06-14-2022

Quote:
another funny thing here is that ebay are actually allowing people to use landline as main phone number and it remains allowed but at the same time they ask to receive sms on landline which is certainly a sign of incompetence
No they don't, have you bothered to read the notification?

I've copied it here for you:

(some landlines can receive SMS - mine can. )

As some authentication requests require a text message, we need you to check the registered number you have on file, to ensure it has the ability to receive text messages. This will ensure that you have a frictionless experience when we enhance your account security.

Here is how to check your registered number on file:

Go to the Account section of My eBay.
Select Personal /Business information depending on your account type (you might be requested to log in again).
If you need to update your phone number, select Edit.
Enter your up-to-date phone number which can receive SMS.
You’ll be then prompted to Save, Submit, or Confirm.

Last edited by Hank; 06-14-2022 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-14-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
No they don't, have you bothered to read the notification?

I've copied it here for you:

(some landlines can receive SMS - mine can. )

As some authentication requests require a text message, we need you to check the registered number you have on file, to ensure it has the ability to receive text messages. This will ensure that you have a frictionless experience when we enhance your account security.

Here is how to check your registered number on file:

Go to the Account section of My eBay.
Select Personal /Business information depending on your account type (you might be requested to log in again).
If you need to update your phone number, select Edit.
Enter your up-to-date phone number which can receive SMS.
You’ll be then prompted to Save, Submit, or Confirm.
that is the banner appearing on accounts that have not been upgraded to payment accounts yet. on those accounts that were upgraded they are actually asking to verify through email code or through SMS on a landline number if such a number is on file
Old 06-14-2022
Threadstarter  

Just to say my account didn’t have any such banner displayed anywhere. All I had was an email asking if my contact info was up to date. I didn’t read it and even if I had it was pretty vague and didn’t really explain what was happening.

It is a problem because if you try to call EBay which I have done many times already, when you announce what the problem is or verify your account details on the phone you get transferred to a recorded message then cut off. I haven’t been able to log in for over a week now and no help what so ever from EBay.

Hank, you are not correct in terms of my account, if was properly informed then I would have acted but regardless it’s the lack of support from EBay now the situation has happened that’s the issue.
Old 06-14-2022
Threadstarter  

There is no option for email verification either, it’s the invalid phone number or nothing
Old 06-15-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick230786 View Post
Just to say my account didn’t have any such banner displayed anywhere. All I had was an email asking if my contact info was up to date. I didn’t read it and even if I had it was pretty vague and didn’t really explain what was happening.
You did have the banner
Either you read the message or you didn't! How can you claim it was vague then??

Quote:
Hank, you are not correct in terms of my account, if was properly informed then I would have acted but regardless it’s the lack of support from EBay now the situation has happened that’s the issue.
You were properly informed.
I agree ebay support can be patchy at times and that's why you must always keep yourself and your account(s) in tip-top condition and avoid the need to ever call them.

If it was as big problem then their own forums would be awash with posts and complaints - they're not.

Anyway, good luck in getting it sorted.
Old 06-15-2022
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Best of luck OP
Old 06-16-2022

Longevity: 62%

This happened to me and eventually I was given the choice of email or text verification and luckily I have access to the email address.
Old 06-17-2022

Longevity: 13%

If you get phone number only to verify then you must have deleted cookies and changed your known ISP provider.

eBay keeps track of your recent sign in activity and if a new sign in looks nothing like the last one you will 100% get Phone SMS verify only.

If you keep cookies in place and keep the same ISP you get Phone SMS or Email verify
Old 06-17-2022
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey View Post
This happened to me and eventually I was given the choice of email or text verification and luckily I have access to the email address.
And it worked out fine then?
Old 06-17-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey View Post
How were you given the choice? What did they say when you refused to add an active phone number?
Old 06-20-2022

Anyone else who solved that problem with their accounts? I've got plenty of stealth accounts now all requiring SMS to login. Did you guys contact support and got that resolved fast?
Old 06-20-2022
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by authmember View Post
Anyone else who solved that problem with their accounts? I've got plenty of stealth accounts now all requiring SMS to login. Did you guys contact support and got that resolved fast?
What have you tried to date?
Old 07-01-2022

Longevity: 89%

Anyone manage to get in to change a number, got this bull**** on one account no option to have the pin emailed, drone said i had to ring them bloody stupid.
Old 07-02-2022
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 57%

Hank has been 100% spot on here. We all got some clearly articulated notification, but unfortunately, some of you got distracted.

Here's what I observed after 2 step verification got implemented:
1. If you hadn't verified via SMS at least once, you'd not usually be given the option of e-mail.

2. If you remove session cookies any time after SMS verification, the e-mail option will be taken off again.

If you have session cookies that haven't been signed out & haven't expired, and you move these back into your profile folder, you'd not be required to sign in - and you can immediately replace your mobile number if you wish to do so.

3. Unfortunately, the final option is to contact eBay with a new number ready in hand.
Old 07-02-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandoras_box View Post
Hank has been 100% spot on here. We all got some clearly articulated notification, but unfortunately, some of you got distracted.

Here's what I observed after 2 step verification got implemented:
1. If you hadn't verified via SMS at least once, you'd not usually be given the option of e-mail.

2. If you remove session cookies any time after SMS verification, the e-mail option will be taken off again.

If you have session cookies that haven't been signed out & haven't expired, and you move these back into your profile folder, you'd not be required to sign in - and you can immediately replace your mobile number if you wish to do so.

3. Unfortunately, the final option is to contact eBay with a new number ready in hand.
If you keep the same ISP and same device you can get away with deleting cookies. eBay wants SMS only if you change device or ISP. To them it looks like you’ve been hacked
Old 07-02-2022

Longevity: 57%

Getting exact same s**t on one of my good stealth accounts
Not logged in for a while and then today asking for old sim
Number only, no email option
Hoping it gives a email option soon will
Keep a check on this thread hoping soon it gives a email option to log in