Tech question - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 08-15-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 83%
Default Tech question

Hi, wanted to know something, if any techies around could draw some light on it , would be great.

If you change your MAC address, does that automatically change your IP adress?

Why I ask this question is , well if I was to change my router, that would mean it would have a different MAC address to the router I am currently using, and therefore it would give me a different IP , is that how it works?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-15-2010

Longevity: 84%

Depends on what Isp you're using and how long their ip lease is, if you use dial up then yeah you don't even need to change the MAC unless you want to.
Old 08-15-2010

Longevity: 79%

Yes it will, the ip lease is locked the that mac acddress, so therefor changing your mac address will change your ip..
Old 08-15-2010

Longevity: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by paypalpains View Post
Hi, wanted to know something, if any techies around could draw some light on it , would be great.

If you change your MAC address, does that automatically change your IP adress?

Why I ask this question is , well if I was to change my router, that would mean it would have a different MAC address to the router I am currently using, and therefore it would give me a different IP , is that how it works?
Some ISPs these days tend to give to a Static IP address.They achieve this by using a unique factor which is your MAC address, that is used to identify you on the network.Even if you restart your machine, or reboot the router, whenever you could get back on to the network, the ISP will mostly tend to allocate you the same IP address as before..
If your ISP practices this, only then you should try to look for changing the MAC.

Otherwise you should follow other procedures.

FYI , Sky, Orange, BT, Tiscalli use dynamic ip addresses , so you would need to login to the advanced router settings and disconnect the router from the server to easily change the IP without changing your MAC.

Virgin Cable, O2 etc. use the static ips. I recomend , if the nature of your work whatever requires you to keep changing your ip, then don't use these service providers as changing MAC can be easily detected by your ISP and some of them take it seriously and would stop your services.
Old 08-15-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

just get dialup or a dongle that is dynamic,( most of them) it is too simple to change this issue, so not worth battling a Static IP unnecessarily
Old 08-16-2010
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 83%

Thanks for the comments, I already use a dongle, they are great, but still have limitations, insofar as you have to pay for it, and you have limited usage for the month.
I am working on a way to have the speed you get with your ISP, however still changing IP< i know some BB users can do thia already> But I am with o2 and my IP is sticky so it does not change.
Anyway, I will update this soon, as I have got the equipment required, just waiting for it to arrive, and then will let you know if it is successful or if I am just barking up the wrong tree.