Customs Crackdown? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 10-06-2016

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 56%
Default Customs Crackdown?

Anyone else noticed a larger portion of their imports being inspected by Customs recently? Both DHL and EMS/Parcelforce.

Its very very very rare anything I import gets checked, probably five times in three years, but in the past couple of weeks almost every parcel is getting checked, and its taken them a day and age to release them with their random 'we made this up' charges.

Nothing Branded/VERO but somewhat under declared of course, (like everyone else who sells on ebay and buys from China before the preachers start).

Never had a seizure, and always pay the duty and charges in advance with DHL, so curious if its a customs sweep they have going on? Seems to be a link, as both DHL and Parcelforce customs teams are stopping them, even one customs stop in china which has never happened before in my ten years of trading on ebay!

Last edited by wired; 10-06-2016 at 02:18 PM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 10-06-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%
Default Re: Customs Crackdown?

not noticed it.

maybe the run up to xmas, or maybe they are looking for something right now due to intelligence tip..
Old 10-06-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompaloompa View Post
not noticed it.

maybe the run up to xmas, or maybe they are looking for something right now due to intelligence tip..
Potentially, but it seems a bit random that this one address keeps getting tugged. We are on a severe terror threat alert, but China isn't on the 'danger' list so to speak
Old 10-06-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%

A lot of phakes being imported.....
Old 10-06-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,199 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 28%
Longevity: 63%

They do target addresses that they have on a 'watch list' although I have not idea what they actually call it. If a package gets stopped on route to 1 address and they find something wrong that house seems to get flagged and a larger % of packages to that address get stopped
Old 10-06-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 View Post
They do target addresses that they have on a 'watch list' although I have not idea what they actually call it. If a package gets stopped on route to 1 address and they find something wrong that house seems to get flagged and a larger % of packages to that address get stopped
Yes true - but I've never had a seizure and never imported phakeys, but they have stopped a couple of parcels recently and whacked on some insane charges that outweigh the value - but thats always been a customs thing hasn't it?

..maybe the 'watch' list is triggered for the multiple lower value shipments, but I cant see it myself, how would they know how much say ten metal bars would cost?
Old 10-06-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 49%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
how would they know how much say ten metal bars would cost?
Fairly easy to calculate the cost of bullion, haha. Even if you aren't talking about a precious metal it's still pretty easy to appraise a shipment of any type of metal.

I couldn't pass up the opportunity to point that out.
Old 10-06-2016
Executive [VIP]

It could be that because they caught a few items coming in under declared you got you address flagged

They do have a massive list of how much thing costs. Even if they cannot find out said item on said list then they do have access to the internet and they can work it out.

It is also just that time of year. They take on more staff around this time of year which leads to them clamping down a bit more as they have the resources to do so.
Old 10-07-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
It could be that because they caught a few items coming in under declared you got you address flagged

They do have a massive list of how much thing costs. Even if they cannot find out said item on said list then they do have access to the internet and they can work it out.

It is also just that time of year. They take on more staff around this time of year which leads to them clamping down a bit more as they have the resources to do so.
Yes this is probably it....however none of my shipments have ever been opened, even the ones released from customs with additional charges. I guess we can never understand how customs works, afterall they are just a money maker for the government and Parcelforce with their 'handling' charge.

New address time it seems for moi.
Old 10-07-2016
Executive [VIP]

Packages don't have to be opened to see what is inside

They scan things and most the time it's pretty easy to work out what is in the package and add the charges
Old 10-07-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Packages don't have to be opened to see what is inside

They scan things and most the time it's pretty easy to work out what is in the package and add the charges
That would be close to impossible with my gear
Old 10-08-2016
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 26%
Longevity: 54%

Quote:
That would be close to impossible with my gear
All the shipments clear automatically

If they dispute over your invoice (undervalue) and if it's too low then they open one carton to workout the price, its not hard to work out the price

If they belive it's not right they will seize the goods and make take this matter further
Old 10-09-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2free View Post
All the shipments clear automatically

If they dispute over your invoice (undervalue) and if it's too low then they open one carton to workout the price, its not hard to work out the price

If they belive it's not right they will seize the goods and make take this matter further
I don't think this is very accurate, they rarely seize goods if the paperwork they feel is inaccurrate. They generally just add on their own make believe charges based on weight or write to you asking for the original payment invoice to clarify declared values, which are easy to fudge.

As I've said, I've never had a box opened.

I only import in small quantities to avoid any of this bother.
Old 10-09-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:

Sure seems to be one way
Old 10-09-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
I don't think this is very accurate, they rarely seize goods if the paperwork they feel is inaccurrate. They generally just add on their own make believe charges based on weight or write to you asking for the original payment invoice to clarify declared values, which are easy to fudge.

As I've said, I've never had a box opened.

not agree,
yes the first step they will ask you to provide Invoice

let say you written custom value 600usd and goods worth over 3000usd

now off couse you need to provide same invoice which is 600usd but here you have time to say this is the right invoice for 300usd as error can be made from shipper side since this was written by shipper

but once you confirmed its 600usd then they will review it and check the goods its really 600usd if they cant work it out then they normally seize the goods

and u will get letter from hmrc where u will given option to appeal
Old 10-09-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2free View Post
not agree,
yes the first step they will ask you to provide Invoice

let say you written custom value 600usd and goods worth over 3000usd

now off couse you need to provide same invoice which is 600usd but here you have time to say this is the right invoice for 300usd as error can be made from shipper side since this was written by shipper

but once you confirmed its 600usd then they will review it and check the goods its really 600usd if they cant work it out then they normally seize the goods

and u will get letter from hmrc where u will given option to appeal
Don't agree at all, and there is no way for them to check how much a ball of alloy is really.

Hey ho, we are all speculating based on on our personal experiences anyway, my question was merely to see if there was a pattern emerging with customs at the moment.
Old 12-08-2016

Longevity: 42%

Hey guys, new here and trying to get some of your knowledge.

Recently purchased 50 Yeti cups from China (Alibaba). The seller shipped using FedEx.

On 11/27 it was marked arrived in Memphis,TN with "package marked for clearance".

It was suppose to arrived Dec 1st according to FedEx. I called them and they said it held by customs. I call customs in Memphis but he said there's nothing he can do and didn't even ask for tracking number. Am I out my goods or is there still a shot of receiving them?

I've ordered merchandise through China twice before and have used DHL with no issue. First time experiencing something like this.
Old 12-09-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbwood003 View Post
Hey guys, new here and trying to get some of your knowledge.

Recently purchased 50 Yeti cups from China (Alibaba). The seller shipped using FedEx.

On 11/27 it was marked arrived in Memphis,TN with "package marked for clearance".

It was suppose to arrived Dec 1st according to FedEx. I called them and they said it held by customs. I call customs in Memphis but he said there's nothing he can do and didn't even ask for tracking number. Am I out my goods or is there still a shot of receiving them?

I've ordered merchandise through China twice before and have used DHL with no issue. First time experiencing something like this.
Fedex are awful with stopping packages.

DHL are the best.

Dont use Fedex.

You may or may not see your parcel. you may or may not have a customs charge to pay. you may or may not have the FEDS arrive at your house with a taser and shotgun beating down your door and arresting you in your underpants.
The Following User Says Thank You to wired For This Useful Post:
RetroRedneck (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016
MU

Longevity: 45%

Fedex is a fukn joke
Old 12-11-2016

Longevity: 52%

I just had big shipment from Denmark, and ALL of parcels have been opened and checked, wierd, never happend before...
Old 12-12-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Door_ View Post
I just had big shipment from Denmark, and ALL of parcels have been opened and checked, wierd, never happend before...
Who opened these parcels uk Border force? It's normal at this time of year
Old 12-14-2016

Longevity: 42%

Update: it appears Customs opened up the package as I only received part of the shipment. It had been repackaged and had customs tape. I assume the Yeti cups did not have proper paperwork and the items were seized. Waiting on a letter for confirmations.