eBay now allowing sellers to issue partial refund for returns in poor shape? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 07-26-2022

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 40%
Default eBay now allowing sellers to issue partial refund for returns in poor shape?

Came across this some time ago, some claim that eBay is now allowing sellers to issue partial refunds when a buyer opens a case but returns a compromised item (damaged / parts missing / etc). However, I brushed it off as I'm used to eBay always siding with the buyer, and thus eating any costs of doing business as a result

However, had a few returns recently where the items came back missing parts. One time was just annoying, but seeing as how Ive had 2 returns this week with this issue, I figure now's a good time to get some clarification.

Does anyone know if eBay policy on this and whether it has recently changed? Is it true? furthermore, does this apply to all cases including INAD / item defective returns? I may have read somewhere that this new policy applies to all returns except those, and that seller also must have free returns enabled for this to work. Any clarification is appreciated
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-26-2022
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,550 Times in 2,203 Posts
Activity: 53%
Longevity: 91%
Default Re: eBay now allowing sellers to issue partial refund for returns in poor shape?

Yes, sellers can issue a partial refund.
Old 07-27-2022
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,927 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%
Default Re: eBay now allowing sellers to issue partial refund for returns in poor shape?

On top of what Saijin stated, OP you might want to consider the root cause - 2 in 1 week is not big but hopefully doesn't progress...
Old 07-28-2022
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 24%
Longevity: 54%

Yeah it’s not new it’s been like this from past year or so
You can deduct upto 50% depending on condition of item but if you use this option ebay will not refund fees and the amount will be refunded to buyer from eBay
The Following User Says Thank You to e2free For This Useful Post:
yankee (07-28-2022)
Old 07-28-2022

Longevity: 43%

Yes, you can issue a partial refund. It is incredibly difficult to get EBay to side with the seller. Although one time, I bought a $600 item and they sent me a box of literal junk. Because they had a shipping receipt, I couldn't get a refund even with pictures. I despise Ebay.
Old 07-28-2022

Longevity: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2free View Post
Yeah it’s not new it’s been like this from past year or so
You can deduct upto 50% depending on condition of item but if you use this option ebay will not refund fees and the amount will be refunded to buyer from eBay
I believe you don't get a fee refund if it's more than 10% back. Because after all, the fees are more than that, so what's the point. I've been able to get the fees back too. But then again, charge enough, and it's worth it. Also, ebay only refunds to buyer if buyer opens a case.
Old 07-28-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
Came across this some time ago, some claim that eBay is now allowing sellers to issue partial refunds when a buyer opens a case but returns a compromised item (damaged / parts missing / etc). However, I brushed it off as I'm used to eBay always siding with the buyer, and thus eating any costs of doing business as a result

However, had a few returns recently where the items came back missing parts. One time was just annoying, but seeing as how Ive had 2 returns this week with this issue, I figure now's a good time to get some clarification.

Does anyone know if eBay policy on this and whether it has recently changed? Is it true? furthermore, does this apply to all cases including INAD / item defective returns? I may have read somewhere that this new policy applies to all returns except those, and that seller also must have free returns enabled for this to work. Any clarification is appreciated
This only works if you offer FREE RETURNS. It is a benefit of free returns, and has been around for awhile now, for all types of returns.
Old 07-28-2022
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

Not new at all. Also, if you charge a shipping fee, you can keep the shipping fee on returned items when buyers select Changed mind or purchased by mistake.
Old 07-28-2022
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by james13v View Post
I believe you don't get a fee refund if it's more than 10% back. Because after all, the fees are more than that, so what's the point. I've been able to get the fees back too. But then again, charge enough, and it's worth it. Also, ebay only refunds to buyer if buyer opens a case.
And if you are a top rated seller, you contact ebay about the case, you keep your money and ebay pays the buyer out of pocket. Might also work for smaller sellers, but your millage may vary
Old 07-31-2022

Longevity: 52%
Exclamation Re: eBay now allowing sellers to issue partial refund for returns in poor shape?

This is the worst policy. Another one of eBay's tricks to increase their bottom line at the expense of tricking customers.

This policy does not mean you can give 50% refunds just because a buyer wants to return it. There has to be something wrong with the item.

I can speak from my experience. Normally sell 15 things a month, average 1 return every two months.

To qualify for the policy you need to have 30 days free returns, that means if a buyer wants to return it (even for remorse reason) you have to eat shipping costs both ways and give full refund. After I put the policy, in that month I sold 18 items and had 8 yes, EIGHT returns, every one of them "changed mind", "no longer needed", "found better price". All returns auto accepted, all returns given return label charged to me. If you want to invite buyers who rent your items, please do the "free returns".
If you are top rated seller, you need to do 30 days returns but can put buyer pays for shipping. Of course, no buyer is going to open a return for remorse reason and they will open it for item not as described, so you the seller will pay for shipping.

Once you get the item back, you have to give full refund unless the buyer damages the item. If a buyer damaged the item, you have to put in the box what is wrong with it and you have to upload photos. Now, a buyer is allowed to appeal it and say "the seller is lying" and eBay will give the buyer the other 50% refund out of eBay's pockets. If you do this once, Ok, not a big deal. But if eBay sees you doing this multiple times and eBay has to fund the other 50% of the refund, then eBay will just give the ban hammer. End of story. Ebay keeps eye on it's own pocket closer than a homeless person.

Also keep in mind, with this policy you are only allowed to give 50% refund max, even if the item is completely useless. If you sell $300 motherboard and the buyer keeps your motherboard and returns his old broken coke spilled motherboard that is useless, guess what? You still need to give the buyer 50% ($150) refund and still need to pay selling fees 13% ($39).

Ask yourself this, when did eBay ever make a policy that benefits you and not eBay??

Benefits for eBay:
-Encourages more sales since on the fence buyers will buy with free returns, so eBay collects 13% fees on these more sales
-Encase of return, seller funds shipping both ways and eBay doesn't lose a dime. Most of the time (99%) it's just unsure buyers who want to return it, no partial refunded involved.
-Encase there is something wrong with the item, at WORST case, eBay only pays 37% (they pay the other 50% refund, but keeps the 13% selling fee). WORST case is very rare, (1) buyer has to send back item worth 50% less (2) seller has to give 50% refund (3) buyer has to appeal case to eBay and say seller is lying.
-Saves eBay's from giving 100% refund in case of worthless broken item sent back (tells seller they can only refund 50%, and still makes seller pay the other 50% in the refund)
-Encase that worst situation happens and eBay pays 37% of the refund, they will monitor your account closely, if it happens again, goodbye! You aren't a benefit to eBay anymore.

If you are on Ebay and think "oh wow, this new policy looks to benefit me", then slap yourself till you realize the only benefit is for eBay

Remember ebay's management payment pitch? "Now, less selling fees, from 13% (Ebay and paypal) to 12.85% (on average)! Hurry, sign up today!"

Benefits for eBay:
-28.5% increase in their fees. Went from 10% ebay fees to 12.85% fees. (They raised fees since then in most categories, so fees are even higher now).
-"Oh we only need access to your bank and SSN to verify yourself for taxes, don't worry". Complete lie. My doing management payments, you essentially add eBay as an authorized user to your bank. There is no negative balance with eBay. If you owe money, they can tap into your bank. With paypal, if you owe money, you give paypal the middle finger, they can't tap into your bank or cards.
-Ebay disputes nearly impossible to win as a seller. PayPal disputes sides with buyer's but possible to win. Ebay disputes seller pays return shipping. PayPal dispute, even if seller is at fault, buyer has to pay return shipping.

Last edited by jackdanielsbtch; 07-31-2022 at 02:54 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jackdanielsbtch For This Useful Post:
e2free (07-31-2022)
Old 07-31-2022
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,927 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygress81 View Post
Yes, you can issue a partial refund. It is incredibly difficult to get EBay to side with the seller. Although one time, I bought a $600 item and they sent me a box of literal junk. Because they had a shipping receipt, I couldn't get a refund even with pictures. I despise Ebay.
You couldn't return the item?
Old 07-31-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdanielsbtch View Post
Once you get the item back, you have to give full refund unless the buyer damages the item. If a buyer damaged the item, you have to put in the box what is wrong with it and you have to upload photos. Now, a buyer is allowed to appeal it and say "the seller is lying" and eBay will give the buyer the other 50% refund out of eBay's pockets. If you do this once, Ok, not a big deal. But if eBay sees you doing this multiple times and eBay has to fund the other 50% of the refund, then eBay will just give the ban hammer. End of story. Ebay keeps eye on it's own pocket closer than a homeless person.
I have done this many times. Not always 50%, sure, but I've done it way more times than what you would consider "multiple times". . I rarely even put a reason, and have NEVER added pictures. I've had buyers appeal a few times, and yet still doing it with no issues. So no, not end of story.
Old 07-31-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
You couldn't return the item?
of course he could.