HMRC reporting of 2024 - Page 6 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Activity: 13%
Longevity: 41%
Default Re: HMRC reporting of 2024

Has any one actually been asked to put a NI number in yet ?

I'm pushing a lot of items through one of my private accounts to trigger it. Nothing as of yet.

I'm going to eventually miss taking advantage of the 80% off fees offer. So sick of paying ebay their extortionate fees through my normal business accounts.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Activity: 73%
Longevity: 46%

NI may not be asked for this year , they have one year grace period anyway

but once they ask it will likely be just a red banner with a window to enter the number , once entered it will be done
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Activity: 6%
Longevity: 60%

Im baffled by this post...HMRC have always been able to check bank accounts for tax evasion. This is why I registered for self assesment from the very start when I started selling 16 years ago.
I dont understand then why it needs ebay to post information to it, and I thought it already did this for high volume selling accounts.

I do have some stealth accounts for family members linked to my real bank account. So could I get them done for tax evasion? Or can I show HMRC its going into my bank account and Im registered to pay tax. i see so many people on ebay using their partner's accounts it seems common enough.

Surely also people who have private accounts would be being asked for NI numbers routinely by now with such a low bar (30 sales per year)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

it is a requirement from outside , decided abroad. how it will be used here is unclear , the main party pushing it is the EU as they are going to go hard on local online sellers
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Activity: 26%
Longevity: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by indielad View Post
I dont understand then why it needs ebay to post information to it, and I thought it already did this for high volume selling accounts.
At the moment they need a trigger to investigate, something to warrant an investigation. It would be unrealistic to assume everyone was a tax evader and trawl millions of bank accounts. Ebay providing sales figures linked to an NI number will allow them to easily cherry pick targets rather than looking for 'victims'.

Ebay does not, as a matter of course, current voluntarily send sales figure to HMRC for 'high volume sellers'. There is no requirement for them to do so, so you can be sure they won't.

Quote:
I do have some stealth accounts for family members linked to my real bank account. So could I get them done for tax evasion? Or can I show HMRC its going into my bank account and Im registered to pay tax. i see so many people on ebay using their partner's accounts it seems common enough.
I don't know the answer to this, but it would be very easy to see HMRC deciding that the account holder is the earner. The example that gets cited, and I can run with it, is if you were claiming benefits and selling on eBay, and you're defence being it's going into your grannys bank account and she pays the tax. Surely that wouldn't wash. Arguing that the bank account holder was the sole person responsible is clearly open to abuse but, as I said earlier, I do not know how HMRC would view it.

Would I generate an income in a family members name using the bank account defense for not getting them to complete an annual return in their name...not a chance unless I had it in writing it was deemed legitimate.
Old 1 Week Ago

Activity: 38%
Longevity: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_112233 View Post
Has any one actually been asked to put a NI number in yet ?

I'm pushing a lot of items through one of my private accounts to trigger it. Nothing as of yet.
I am in the EU, where the new legistlation is called DAC7, but is basically the same thing - 2000 EUR or 30 sales, whichever comes first.

One of my accounts got the red banner first, informing me of the need to put tax id. I kept selling my stuff. Then I was informed that there is a deadline, by which I have to submit the info, otherwise the payouts will stop. I kept selling for the heck of it. When the deadline was reached, I was still able to sell, but the money just accumulates in eBay MP system and there are no payouts to my bank account. I am still able to sell, but I just abandoned the account.

Just my 2 cents, maybe someone will find this info usefull...
The Following User Says Thank You to ebayfocker For This Useful Post:
james_112233 (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

EU is different from other countries because EU has been pushing this and they have the toughest rules on online sellers which ironically only became possible because the UK left the EU and it would have never agreed to implement such rules while being a member
Old 1 Week Ago

Longevity: 60%

Can I change my stealth ones in family names to my own when the ruling comes in next year? The steaĺth ones are aged and no issues on account.

Last edited by indielad; 1 Week Ago at 08:32 AM.
Old 1 Week Ago
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 31%
Longevity: 94%

It came in force from January this year.

Quote:
Can I change my stealth ones in family names to my own when the ruling comes in next year? The steaĺth ones are aged and no issues on account.
Old 1 Week Ago

Activity: 38%
Longevity: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdered_by_ebay View Post
EU is different from other countries because EU has been pushing this and they have the toughest rules on online sellers which ironically only became possible because the UK left the EU and it would have never agreed to implement such rules while being a member
And yet, they impose the same restrictions on online sellers after the BREXIT? Only under a different name? I do not see how the UK remaining in the EU would have softened the rules.

It is obvious to me that governments of all countries are working to implement the same agenda, set for them by some unknown entity. What the final goal is not clear, but intermediary goal is to eliminate the middle class, that is for sure.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebayfocker View Post
And yet, they impose the same restrictions on online sellers after the BREXIT? Only under a different name? I do not see how the UK remaining in the EU would have softened the rules.

It is obvious to me that governments of all countries are working to implement the same agenda, set for them by some unknown entity. What the final goal is not clear, but intermediary goal is to eliminate the middle class, that is for sure.
I can tell you how , the reporting rules are the same everywhere but the devil (as always) has been hiding in details

EU sellers have a very low intra EU VAT threshold of just 10K while UK has about 100K , additionally EU wants all marketplaces worldwide to report to them while UK only wants info from marketplaces with UK representation

furthermore UK sellers can easily sell to other countries without being forced to register for VAT , in fact UK VAT threshold is completely meaningless for sales to any other country outside the UK

this means that the impact on EU sellers is going to be large since most of them will be liable for VAT unless they only sell within their own country or outside the EU and VAT is by far the most dangerous tax of all and this is what the EU is after with this legislation since the number of sellers who owe VAT will be a lot larger than before 2021

back to your question: UK as a member of the EU would have never agreed to such a low VAT threshold causing massive problems to local businesses with increased taxes and increased expenses of VAT reporting

Last edited by murdered_by_ebay; 1 Week Ago at 02:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to murdered_by_ebay For This Useful Post:
james_112233 (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdered_by_ebay View Post
I can tell you how , the reporting rules are the same everywhere but the devil (as always) has been hiding in details

EU sellers have a very low intra EU VAT threshold of just 10K while UK has about 100K , additionally EU wants all marketplaces worldwide to report to them while UK only wants info from marketplaces with UK representation

furthermore UK sellers can easily sell to other countries without being forced to register for VAT , in fact UK VAT threshold is completely meaningless for sales to any other country outside the UK

this means that the impact on EU sellers is going to be large since most of them will be liable for VAT unless they only sell within their own country or outside the EU and VAT is by far the most dangerous tax of all and this is what the EU is after with this legislation since the number of sellers who owe VAT will be a lot larger than before 2021

back to your question: UK as a member of the EU would have never agreed to such a low VAT threshold causing massive problems to local businesses with increased taxes and increased expenses of VAT reporting
UK VAT threshold is being upped from 85k to 90k this year I believe
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_112233 View Post
UK VAT threshold is being upped from 85k to 90k this year I believe
convert into EUR in order to compare
Old 1 Week Ago
Threadstarter  

Activity: 11%
Longevity: 78%

I wonder how many of the clothing sellers who are being drawn over from other selling platforms with no selling fees, will do a self assessment after they do more than £1,000 in sales. I hope they get thousands upon thousands so HMRC are overwhelmed with policing the situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to degsey69 For This Useful Post:
james_112233 (4 Days Ago)
Old 4 Days Ago

Longevity: 18%

I have the same name as my dad. I used his name to open my eBay account and used his passport when it came to them asking ID.

Bank statements , Tax/VAT registration are all mine and i've been trading absolutely fine for 2 years.

My worry is, will eBay get any info back from HMRC when i put in my National Insurance number? Basically, will putting my NI number in create any kind of mismatch between eBay/HMRC?
Old 4 Days Ago

Still early days, nobody knows. You'll have to try it and report back to us.