another case - buyer didnt receive item.. - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 04-16-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 65%
Default another case - buyer didnt receive item..

sold an item on ebay...buyer saying they didnt receive it. details - tracking shows it was delivered mar 25 (its been over 3 weeks), shipped usps priority, and the buyer is in the same state as me about 400 miles away. how do i respond to this case?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 04-16-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Respond with all tracking info possible - make sure you describe everything to a tee. Was the buyer's pp verified?
Old 04-16-2013
Threadstarter  

yes, the buyer's address is confirmed on pp
Old 04-16-2013
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 74%

How expensive of an item
Old 04-16-2013
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 81%

I have lost this exact type of case. I thought it was a easy win for me. Under $250, Shipped with Tracking to confirmed address. Shipment showed delivered. Buyer opened case, then same day escalated it. Ebay reviewed and I lost...

Makes zero sense to me...
Old 04-16-2013
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 74%

just because it is under $250 does not mean you should not put a signature on it. put a signature on anything you don't want to risk losing anything on.
The Following User Says Thank You to slim jim For This Useful Post:
Univerzal (04-20-2013)
Old 04-16-2013

Longevity: 64%

You win some you loose some, no matter how annoying it is sometimes ebay/paypal are just plain unfair.

Luckily the above has only happened once with me (touch wood). I had tracking information and other evidence including messages backing up the fact that this particular guy was 'trying it on', after submitting my evidence Paypal immediately decided in favour of the buyer. It really annoyed me and I couldn't understand how they came to that conclusion. I cut my losses as I was only approximately £40.00 out of pocket.

You can actually appeal their decision and see where that gets you?
The Following User Says Thank You to onlinegirl For This Useful Post:
Univerzal (04-20-2013)
Old 04-16-2013
Threadstarter  

the item sold for $50...i dont know what other proof to show than tracking saying it delivered. maybe ill have an edge since from my location to theirs is fairly close..less chance of package being lost ?

i dunno..i just dont like the fact there is no solid way to come up with a solution for this in the future..

if you put in your listing tracking is free but if you want signature you have to pay the extra $, but if you dont get signature and the package is lost, its not sellers problem.

.obviously in better words..would that work? would that cover you in a case of item not received?
Old 04-16-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

What contact if any have you made with the buyer.

$5 might be an amount to write off.

Anything higher is taking YOUR profits.

Buyer may need education

Old 04-16-2013
Executive [VIP]

Why only $5 GB - dont follow...
Old 04-16-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,021 Times in 709 Posts
Longevity: 75%

If you can afford to, Eat the loss on it. If you want to try to scare them, then file a report at the local post office for mail fraud.
Inform the buyer that you are going through with this since it is now indeed fraud and its not fair that you should both be screwed (even though they are most likely scammers)

Send them a nice email informing them of your actions of something like:

"Im sorry you did not receive your item. I will place the money in the account and I have contacted the master post office in our area (since you seem to be pretty close, we should have the same post master general) to investigate this further. It seems that a lot of packages have been getting stolen lately and Id like them to look into it further. I will keep you informed of the outcome!"

Also, send a copy to paypal about your intentions and that you will follow this to the fullest.

It shouldnt cost you anything other than a trip to the post office and a phone call.
Old 04-17-2013
Threadstarter  

wow..is that for real? I will definitely do that...but why do you say "try" to scare them? if i file a report and do what you say, it still does nothing negative to the buyer?
Old 04-17-2013

Activity: 3%
Longevity: 70%

If it was under 50 and you sent via confirmed with tracking, you should have no problems winning if you make your case clear. Ive had a handful of not-authorized and not received cases and haven't lost one yet
Old 04-17-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Why only $5 GB - dont follow...

Translation time for rsot:

When one does business, one may decide on an amount of write off as a loss if there is an issue.

Hence $5 might be an amount to write off. Anything higher is taking YOUR profits.

On reflection that may have helped you better understand if I had written
any amount higher. (Seller could lose money). OP has to work out how to fight these issues and win. It is often possible I have found when selling on ebau.

This is finance so maybe not your forte.

Let me know if you grasp this now

Old 04-17-2013

Longevity: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmixers View Post
If you can afford to, Eat the loss on it. If you want to try to scare them, then file a report at the local post office for mail fraud.
Inform the buyer that you are going through with this since it is now indeed fraud and its not fair that you should both be screwed (even though they are most likely scammers)

Send them a nice email informing them of your actions of something like:

"Im sorry you did not receive your item. I will place the money in the account and I have contacted the master post office in our area (since you seem to be pretty close, we should have the same post master general) to investigate this further. It seems that a lot of packages have been getting stolen lately and Id like them to look into it further. I will keep you informed of the outcome!"

Also, send a copy to paypal about your intentions and that you will follow this to the fullest.

It shouldnt cost you anything other than a trip to the post office and a phone call.
How can you file for fraud? Even if the post office was willing to care, anyone could claim the package was stolen/taking from mailbox. Anyone who is scamming would know this. Lets face it anyone can steal items on ebay and you cant do anything. He might not even be lieing, ive had this happen i bought an item and the tracking shows it was delivered but i never got the package, hence all the items are left on my front door someone couldve stolen. Be prepared to lose this case.

Last edited by download3000; 04-17-2013 at 01:27 AM.
Old 04-17-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateep22 View Post
wow..is that for real? I will definitely do that...but why do you say "try" to scare them? if i file a report and do what you say, it still does nothing negative to the buyer?
This is why I asked you if you have communicated with the buyer or what you had done.

On one hand the item may be truly lost.

On the other hand, a buyer may be taking advantage of you.

You decide to be victim or victor... takes a bit of practice . But it's your right to protect you. There are different ways to deal with these types on incidents.

Read the thread below...

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-di...-fast-one.html

We just talked about an approach to help a seller keep the upper hand. What happened to you is why we have the forum....
to help avoid being conned
Old 04-17-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by download3000 View Post
How can you file for fraud? Even if the post office was willing to care, anyone could claim the package was stolen/taking from mailbox. Anyone who is scamming would know this. Lets face it anyone can steal items on ebay and you cant do anything. He might not even be lieing, ive had this happen i bought an item and the tracking shows it was delivered but i never got the package, hence all the items are left on my front door someone couldve stolen. Be prepared to lose this case.
To get the post office to possibly look into something that could possibly be mail theft or fraud on a larger scale.

Do packages get lost? Yes. Do they get stolen? Yes. Most of the time, do you know which is which? No. Even with this case of the item being delivered and the person claiming they never got it.

Some will sit by and let it happen. Any profit lost that costs me virtually nothing to follow up on will be sought out.

As I said, its to possibly scare the buyer. If they did nothing, they have nothing to worry about, correct?

Me, personally? Especially with eb/pp, I dont like when my items go missing and I get proactive.

It costs nothing and it makes the post office aware of the possible situation that they might have.
Old 04-17-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateep22 View Post
Yes, it is for real.
They make a record of such things and if large enough, they investigate.
They check the lost and found packages and also check the tracking number to try to pinpoint who signed for it/delivered it in the area. We had a case of a tenant stealing packages here and our poor mailman almost lost his job over it.

I say try to scare them because some buyers are just very professional at screwing people out of money on ebay/pp. When I do this, sometimes they budge and it 'magically' shows up, sometimes they do not.
Old 04-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiverify View Post
Put a signature , it is important!
When you mean put a signature, you mean post using full tracking + signature right?

Would this have made a tremendous difference in his case?
Old 04-17-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiverify View Post
Put a signature , it is important!
Even that - sadly - can be bypassed by the "professional buyer".
Old 04-17-2013

Longevity: 82%

very strange that some of you have lost cases like that, I never have.

I've had probably 2 or 3 cases in the last year where someone swore they didn't get it even though it showed delivered. I alway's tell them to open a case because I obviously can't refund if it shows delivered.

I've had items worth a couple hundred dollars(less than 250) where all I had to show was DC, but that was good enough to win the case for me.
Old 04-17-2013

Longevity: 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Even that - sadly - can be bypassed by the "professional buyer".
Ebay is getting better at recognizing buyer fraud.