Buyer asked partial refund. I think this is scam - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 01-09-2014

Activity: 9%
Longevity: 71%
Default Buyer asked partial refund. I think this is scam

Hi

i sell a tshirt to this buyer. He recieved the shirt then open dispute through ebay said item not as described.

I responded and ask him what happened then he said, he ordered M saiz and he got big size. He want replacement.

I asked him to send me photos showing shirt logo size. Then he replied the size is M but its too big. Here begins the scenario.

So i replied then i already described shirt measurement on the listing and you choose it. But if you want i can send the new one with A condition. Please take care of shirt in original packaging. I need you to send to the new address which is my customer address.

Then he refused and said he already alter the shirt to fit his body and need partial refund.

What should i do?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-09-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%
Default Re: Buyer asked partial refund. I think this is scam

Shrug - what's the cost to you in terms of loss? Do you mind having 1 negative feedback? Issues worth considering.

I would just partial refund and block him from ever buying your sh*t again
Old 01-09-2014
Threadstarter  

Activity: 9%
Longevity: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Shrug - what's the cost to you in terms of loss? Do you mind having 1 negative feedback? Issues worth considering.

I would just partial refund and block him from ever buying your sh*t again
Hmmm.. Thats the reason. We're on ebay can't leave negative fb on buyer. Whats on your mind if the case report to ebay? Are they going to help me out? im thinking of it.

The cost of shirt $32. Sold about $47.
Old 01-09-2014

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 81%

I personally would refund it.
You lose some - you win some.

In this scenario, would you risk a DSR / Neg feedback hit?
Losing future sales due to that 1 neg .

No worth it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pasicel For This Useful Post:
rsot (01-10-2014)
Old 01-09-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,199 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 28%
Longevity: 63%

Refund, block and move on
Old 01-09-2014
Banned

Longevity: 66%

Call ebay up and say he lied and got the M shirt anyways, and that the sizes where listed on the auction and he won't return it. Tell him to return it anyways and you'll send him a smaller one.

Once he makes up another excuse and doesn't give it to you, then you should really call up ebay and have them read the conversations between you too and they'll see he is abusing the system. And win in your favor.

I've had problems like this in the past, but not with this kind of an item. I won each time. They just trying to get free stuff from sellers. I never give in.

I got feedback builder for a reason, and it's cheaper to do feedback builder then to give in, cause if you let them win today, they'll be back with friends tomorrow, or spread it even more online. I have over a dozen stealths. I could careless about them trying to scare me off, and from the sound of it, his trying to tell you what to do and shouldn't demand things. Call up ebay you'll see.
Old 01-09-2014
Banned

And what I also do after winning and getting their feedback removed. I email them saying "thank you sir, we'd leave you feedback once we get it from you but we don't see any feedback left from you how come?" OWNED!!!!!! lollll

That's just to rub it in! loll
Old 01-10-2014

Longevity: 64%

It doesn't matter who is right or wrong here. In the interest of good customer service do what the customer asks and you win. If you have an acct. that is in good standing and sales are brisk it doesn't matter if you want to keep it going just do what they want.
Old 01-10-2014

Longevity: 63%

I sell clothing also and unfortunately I run into this a lot, I used to just give in an attempt to keep the buyers happy but it got to a point that it was just too much, it was "Oh well I got it and its terribly damaged BUT I'd like to keep it for a partial refund" or "Its damaged beyond repair and not wearable but if you could give me half my money back I'd be happy to keep it" Nobody Is going to keep items that are completely unwearable for a partial refund when they have the option of a full refund. So I just started saying No, my offer was return for a full refund or keep it. Those that the item truly does have something wrong with will return it, those that just want to get it for cheaper than what they paid will usually keep it. Yes they might leave a neg but you just have to decide where you stand.
Old 01-10-2014
Banned

They can't ask you as a buyer and tell you what to do and demand things from you and then leave you negative feedback.

If it happens call up ebay and voila.

So with all my stealths I'd go buy tshirts and get free tshirts or half off cause now I know I can get away with it cause most are scared? :O
Old 01-10-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts

Any time you are dealing in apparel, sizing can be an issue. We've all heard the complaint that sizes run too large or too small. I even know people who will not even CONSIDER buying clothing online because they can't try it on first.

So, could the customer be scamming? Yes. But they could also have a legitimate issue. I tend to think it is a legitimate issue. I can think of MUCH MORE PROFITABLE scams than ordering a t-shirt and then asking for a partial refund!

As seller, you have to decide whether it is worth having this customer mad at you and telling others about their bad experience. Or, potentially losing your account. And, if you refuse the refund, PayPal will probably get involved and tell the customer to return the item for a FULL refund. Now, you are out 100% of the money and you have a used shirt that may have been modified that will be difficult to sell.

How exactly does the seller WIN by refusing a refund in this situation? Simple - they don't!
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
joesshooze (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014

There's 2 types of risks : smart risk & silly risks.

Fighting it is a silly risk.
Old 01-10-2014

Longevity: 64%

Jeffweico & I pretty much have the same customer service barometer. Nobody wins having a unhappy customer. Sometimes it cost a little money which is just part of doing business. If this is the only "shrinkage" then so be it.
Old 01-12-2014
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by acreech41311 View Post
I sell clothing also and unfortunately I run into this a lot, I used to just give in an attempt to keep the buyers happy but it got to a point that it was just too much, it was "Oh well I got it and its terribly damaged BUT I'd like to keep it for a partial refund" or "Its damaged beyond repair and not wearable but if you could give me half my money back I'd be happy to keep it" Nobody Is going to keep items that are completely unwearable for a partial refund when they have the option of a full refund. So I just started saying No, my offer was return for a full refund or keep it. Those that the item truly does have something wrong with will return it, those that just want to get it for cheaper than what they paid will usually keep it. Yes they might leave a neg but you just have to decide where you stand.
Agreed, like this poster I always include measurements with a clear disclaimer to check measurements and compare to something you own.

If they say the item is damaged I will normally try to work something out even though I check items. I know it is a scam I just try to break even then add them to my block list I have and the ones I share with my friends.

If they say the sizing is wrong. I tell them measurements are clearly stated. If you want to return the item you can but not shipping costs will be refunded.

If he opened a case like this one. I would probably try to work it out even if you break even or whatever just to avoid the headache of somehow losing the PayPal dispute and getting poor feedback. Sometimes you just have to take it from crummy buyers to live to fight another day. It completely sucks I agree. But sometimes that it just how it goes.
Old 01-12-2014
Banned

Or just tell them to return the item and you'll even pay for shipping. See what they say then.

I'd for sure win a feedback removal on that one if they left you a nasty one.