How are you looking to minimise opened cases to meet new seller requirements? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 04-22-2014

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 80%
Default How are you looking to minimise opened cases to meet new seller requirements?

Ok, as we all know, the new performance requirements come into effect on 20th August.

Currently, the defect rates which seem to be killing my percentage on projected seller dashboards are:

1) Opened cases for items not as described

2) Opened cases for items not received

I sell large and bulky items (30kg+ via courier) which sometimes get damaged or late deliveries etc.

In a lot of cases, if a buyer has a problem, they INSTANTLY open a case without contacting me previously.

I can totally agree with the other metrics used to calculate defect rate, but going off the opened cases is ridiculous IMO - I think there is going to be a HUGE cull in ebay sellers from August this year...

Do you guys send ebay messages to each customer thanking for an order and stating that if they have any problems to contact via ebay message first before opening a case? I am evening thinking of doing something similar with a thank you note for each order stating the same asking not to open cases.

I am also going to start selling 100-200/month small/low profit items to dilute my defect rate.

What are you putting into action now to minimise these case issues?

Last edited by bigbill; 04-22-2014 at 05:29 AM. Reason: s
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 04-22-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 2,365 Times in 1,526 Posts
Activity: 30%
Longevity: 85%
Default Re: How are you looking to minimise opened cases to meet new seller requirements?

Your action plan is sound and should help you reduce the defect rate.

How are you measuring up currently versus the projected standings?

My two main businesses are currently TRS and thankfully are projected as TRS as well so I haven't really been too concerned with the changes.
Old 04-22-2014

Longevity: 65%
Default Re: How are you looking to minimise opened cases to meet new seller requirements?

Many people are having the same issues.

You have to be very careful with the low profit/high volume items because that can turn out to be a double-edged sword.

If your items are not that expensive, buyers will often make buying decisions within seconds. They don not like reading a lot, scrolling down through paragraphs etc, they prefer looking at images.

Try to include the most important information about what you are selling and make it visible. Do not put info only in the description, insert key words in the title and the paid headline. It helps a lot!
Old 04-22-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,197 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 63%

I will be choosing a 2 day delivery as default for a lot of my items and then actually sending them via a 1 day delivery method.

I will also be choosing a dispatch time of 1 working day when in reality I post most items the same day.

The problem with the eBay estimated delivery system is that it assumes there are 0 delays ever on the part of the Royal Mail, which is simple impossible. It leads to buyers thinking that their item will arrive a day before it really could arrive.

Much like yourself I will also now be sending messages to all customers before their item is posted via the eBay messaging system letting them know that their item has been posted and giving them a more realistic delivery time. I will let them know that they need to message me via eBay if they have any issues so that it can resolved ASAP

Lucky my TSR accounts will still be TSR come August and I want to keep it that way.
Old 04-22-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willkeelham View Post

Do you guys send ebay messages to each customer thanking for an order and stating that if they have any problems to contact via ebay message first before opening a case? I am evening thinking of doing something similar with a thank you note for each order stating the same asking not to open cases.

What are you putting into action now to minimise these case issues?
I would not be risking an account with ebay messages like you are suggesting.

Keep anything going onto ebay messages as business only. Write nothing that can & would be misunderstood.

Carefully consider what you say on a thank you note too. 'asking not to open cases' will backfire.....

one low IQ buyer could turn around and ask what they can do to protwctect themselves in event of a misguided/understood issue.

Old 04-22-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,096 Times in 824 Posts
Longevity: 72%

OP is there no way you can try look at changing to a different courier?
I do agree how buyers cannot message first anymore without it automatically opening a case unless they chose the 'other' option

Selling more cheaper items will help a lot.
Old 04-22-2014
Executive [VIP]

Workarounds exist there too, Bunneh

Old 04-22-2014
Threadstarter  

Good info.

As for courier - we use TNT, a lot of items go within Europe and our longest items are 3 metres long. We have found TNT to be much better than other couriers.

My account is at 4% so is under the 5% but still, would like it to be in the TRS bracket.

I think it is key to get customers their items BEFORE the estimate delivery date so i will be changing all listings to 1 day despatch (same as jnorth) too and changing to 48 hours delivery instead of 24 hours.
Old 04-22-2014

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts

I think sending a simple thank you message may be a good idea through eBay messaging, maybe after the order is shipped just a simple message saying your order has been shipped thank you for your patronage.

I know they already get an automated email saying the item is shipped, but by sending a direct message they now have easy access to message u in case there is a problem, they can just reply to that message

A big problem is when a buyer needs to contact a seller they just go to,there,order and hit the drop down menu and click contact seller

From here your basically starting a case, which is deceitful on eBays part, a buyers intent to communicate with a seller over something that may just be a common question now results in a strike against your account because there is no direct route for a straight message to the seller if your not familiar with eBay

So by sending a thank u message will add a link for the buyer to contact u in case any problem without being lead to open a case
Old 04-22-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

TNT is good quality - bit more expensive but I have found them to be solid
Old 04-23-2014
just_smile

Longevity: 0%

Sending messages to buyers is dangerous, buyers dont want too much communicatiin, you will get some people marking you down, guarenteed.

You gain automatic 5* for NOT communicating and dispatching within one day.

A little tip to minimise itwm not received cases, set your courier to 'other 5 day' but still post next daycfirst/second class as usual. You've bought yourself 3/4 extra days before a case can be opened and your buyer will receive it before the expected delivery date.

Everyones a winner
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,197 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 63%

A huge number of buyers will be put off if you have your delivery times set as that.
Old 04-23-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willkeelham View Post
Good info.

As for courier - we use TNT, a lot of items go within Europe and our longest items are 3 metres long. We have found TNT to be much better than other couriers.

For larger items as you described, TNT are OK.

For smaller items like light hamster wheels, home made knick-knacks & leaflets, too over-priced.

Old 04-23-2014
just_smile

Longevity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 View Post
A huge number of buyers will be put off if you have your delivery times set as that.
Some buyers might.

If your defect rate is high this is a good safeguard and worth doing imo.
Old 04-23-2014

Longevity: 59%

Yes its killer. I strongly advise to send messages to buyers in your ebay sales email advising if there is a problem to contact you first. I have also seen the same messages on actual listings so it must be good practice.

Also when a case is opened against you ebay holds the funds and until its sorted you wont have access to it which can affect your cash flow. So do whatever you can to avoid the cases been opened.

Also send messages to your customers that have opened cases against you reminding them to come back back on ebay and close the case when the problem is sorted.

Good luck and hope it works for you.
Old 04-23-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post
For larger items as you described, TNT are OK.

For smaller items like light hamster wheels, home made knick-knacks & leaflets, too over-priced.

Yes, we used to use City Link for larger items but they were USELESS. TNT are not the best but customer services good. I have had most packaging upgraded to deal the the TNT courier network as it seems they are sometime ROUGH with packages.... However, cannot complain when we are paying flat rate £5.95 any package up to 30kg!

For smaller items we use Yodel/Royal Mail.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigbill For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014

Longevity: 61%

No action plan for me apart from keep doing what I'm doing, don't know if I'm just lucky or what but my dashboard says I will still be top rated come august I've had only 2 defects out of 890 transactions 0.22% and trs requirements allow you to have 2 defects out of every 100, 5 out of 100 for none trs account,

so no panic for me yet, I've just put as much info about my items in the description and item specifics as I could, used really good and clear pictures so buyers know exactly what there getting, allways dispatched next day and used 2nd class, never had a low rating yet, only problems I've had buyers have messaged me themselves about item being broke and I've sent a replacement or gave them a refund,

things will not allways go as planned but my backup plan will to do the same as some of the above say, but instead of messaging buyers through eBay I'll be straight on vista print to print off some nice little thank you flyers, pop one into every parcel i send thanking the customer for shopping with us, letting them know how much we care about customer satisfaction, and most importantly offering them my own easy returns by asking them nicely to contact me by text message, eBay message (telling them to click other message for a faster response so case isn't opened) or email if they have any problem,

the point is we've got to get in there heads before eBay do, if you message them through eBay they might forget then recieve item, have a problem! Panic! open case intentionally or accidentally buy just trying to message you,

With a thank you note in every parcel they are more likely to have it in there hand or close to them when problem accurs and it will have your own clear instructions what steps they should take in contacting you and will hopefully result in a better communication between you and the buyer skipping the middle man (eBay) and in the end have less cases opened.
Old 04-24-2014
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 66%

This reminds me of when eBay at one point in the U.S. Decided that if you got neutral feedback it would hurt your Feedback %. It didn't last long. Just shoot them emails complaining. It really is dumb even if everything is solved no problem and not a problem due to you. That it still counts against you. Unbelievable.
Old 04-24-2014

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogeltron View Post
This reminds me of when eBay at one point in the U.S. Decided that if you got neutral feedback it would hurt your Feedback %. It didn't last long. Just shoot them emails complaining. It really is dumb even if everything is solved no problem and not a problem due to you. That it still counts against you. Unbelievable.
I agree this system in no way shows that someone is running a good business, It makes no sense

Returns, unhappy customers, etc is everyday business practice , now how the seller handles this is what shows whether a seller is good or not

Makes the DSR system now look excellent, this new system is horrible and just looks to me they are just trying to get rid of small business