Suspended for supposed issue from 2005 that they won't tell me - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion! > eBay Suspensions

eBay Suspensions General issues related to eBay Suspensions. Mostly geared towards eBay.com.

Old 02-12-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 64%
Unhappy Suspended for supposed issue from 2005 that they won't tell me

I have had an account since 2002. 100% positive feedback, never any issue with it.
I sell crafts on etsy, and I wanted to try selling some on ebay as well, but I wanted to use my shop & craft website name rather than my general internet name. Perfectly within ebay terms/rules, right? I started an account with that name and listed 1 item, 3 day auction.

After the auction - which didn't sell - was done, I got the email to call, so I did, thinking it must just be that it looks suspicious, a brand-new account trying to sell something. The guy (who I could not understand very well) asked if I had any other account, and I said yes, gave him the account. He said I was violating the terms by opening another account when I had an account that has issues. My reaction was "What? I had no idea about any issues!"

I had not logged into my personal account in a few months, but I hadn't gotten emails about issues (I get an email when I get an ebay message), and I said so. He said they sent me a message about it. So I logged into the account; no issues, no messages, which I told him.

We basically went in circles for awhile, with me asking him to tell me the issue and/or how I could resolve it, and him saying they sent me a message about it, and me saying there was no message and no issues showing on the account.

He said the issue was in 2005, and that I could not open a new account until I resolved the issue, but I "didn't have the [personal account] account that long"... I was very confused. How can I have issues before I opened an account? Quickly looked around for when I had started the account and read out loud to him "Member since 2002."

He said "Yeah, but there was an issue in 2005, we sent you a message."
"Wait, you mean you guys sent a message 2005?!?!"
"Yes."
"Well it's not there anymore obviously. How can I resolve an issue from 2005 when I have no idea what the issue is?"

He put me on hold, and then came back and said he would "put the account under review and they would email me about it."

Yeah I've worked in support, I can tell the "You're suspended but I can't say that at my tier, and/or you're going to get upset by this" tone of voice. But what could I do, I said thank you and waited for the email, thinking maybe that would explain this supposed issue.

This is what the email says

Quote:
Your eBay account has been suspended because recent account activity has raised security concerns. We've taken this precaution to protect our members while we make sure that the activity doesn't cause harm--even unintentionally--to the eBay community.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to use eBay in any way. This includes using another existing account or registering a new account.

Any outstanding fees will be due immediately, and any amounts that you haven't previously disputed will be charged to the billing method currently on file.

We appreciate your understanding.

Thanks,

eBay

Please don't reply to this message. It was sent from an address that doesn't accept incoming email.

H483
Why won't they tell me the issue and how to resolve it?

How is this new account connected anyway, other than the fact that I just told them it was my other account and logged in from the same IP (or was he baiting to get me to confirm the accounts are connected)? It does not have the same email address, not the same paypal, maybe not even the same name (as I got married not too long ago and don't think I changed the name on my other account?), and I didn't have the same address in 2005. Could they possibly have incorrectly connected this new account to someone else's account? The other account is still not suspended, still not showing any issues.

And really my worry is, will they suspend the paypal account I used for the shop ebay account due to this supposed issue? I'm fine with not using ebay, though it is a minor inconvenience, it's more their loss (just an excuse to stick to etsy, their cut from my selling & buying will go to Etsy instead). But if these "issues" are money related, could I have an "issue" with paypal too now?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-13-2013
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

Ebay has a habit of not telling you.

They figure if you owned the account you should know what the problem is and fix it.

Did you owe them a bill or something?

When was the last time you listed an item on it? Do you remember?

I would call back and ask to speak to a supervisor if this is your real info and work them to get it resolved.

Do not talk to a first line person, ask for a supervisor.
Old 04-18-2014
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 64%
Default Re: Suspended for supposed issue from 2005 that they won't tell me

Nope I never had an issue on my account. That account STILL works fine. So obviously, they incorrectly connected my (then) new account with someone. I didn't want to dig into it and maybe get THAT account banned for whatever imagined reason they have.

It sucks that I can't use my DBA name on ebay, but nothing more ever came of it. Over a year later paypal is still fine, knock on wood.
Old 04-18-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%
Default Re: Suspended for supposed issue from 2005 that they won't tell me

Good that you are searching but...not sure if comment was necessary since this thread has been dead since Feb. 2013 (Sandy's comment)