eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   Solve the puzzle! (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/everything-else/59921-solve-puzzle.html)

AllAboutStealth 05-12-2013 01:47 PM

Solve the puzzle!

THERE IS NO TRICK ANSWER!

These are the items you will be working with. 8 baseballs and a scale
http://mlblogscountingbaseballs.file...oto2835329.jpg http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-X_O1Bp6HsX...1600/scale.jpg

One of the baseballs is slightly lighter ( or heavier doesn't matter). Use the scale least amount of times possible to find the odd ball. How many times did you use the scale and explain your answer.

GreenBean 05-12-2013 08:00 PM

HeeHee.

:juggle:

rsot 05-12-2013 08:31 PM

I like the shiny plates on the scale - that`s money $

slapped 05-12-2013 09:35 PM

3 Times
(1) Weigh 4 Balls vs 4 Balls---Eliminate the lighter set of 4
(2) of the 4 Balls left weigh 2 Balls vs 2 Balls---Eliminate the lighter set of 2
(3) Weigh the 2 Remaining balls against each other---Eliminate the lighter Ball,,and Your left with the heavyest ball
------------------------------

Thats how I would do it

mine 05-13-2013 08:26 AM

Place three balls on each side.

If the scales are balanced then weight the remaining two balls to find the odd ball.

If the scales are tipped then remove one ball from each side and replace with the unweighed balls. Swap a ball with each side which was on the scale during the first weigh.

You are now able to determine the odd ball and you've only used the scales twice.

Sandy D 05-13-2013 08:36 AM

Twice is the answer.

Make two groups of 3 and one group of 2 balls.

If the scales balance then the heavy ball is one of the two left over.

Weigh the two balls and the heavier ball with drop the scales therefore you will then know which ball is the heaviest one.

Or you can do it in reverse to find the lighter weighing ball.

Nice to add the grass stained practice ball to make you think...... :eek:

AllAboutStealth 05-13-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mine (Post 448921)

If the scales are balanced then weight the remaining two balls to find the odd ball.

If the scales are tipped then remove one ball from each side and replace with the unweighed balls. Swap a ball with each side which was on the scale during the first weigh.

You are now able to determine the odd ball and you've only used the scales twice.

Sorry mine I cant seem to understand your answer

AllAboutStealth 05-13-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slapped (Post 448815)
3 Times
(1) Weigh 4 Balls vs 4 Balls---Eliminate the lighter set of 4
(2) of the 4 Balls left weigh 2 Balls vs 2 Balls---Eliminate the lighter set of 2
(3) Weigh the 2 Remaining balls against each other---Eliminate the lighter Ball,,and Your left with the heavyest ball
------------------------------

Thats how I would do it

That's how id do it too, but there is a shorter way!

AllAboutStealth 05-13-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy D (Post 448928)
Twice is the answer.

Make two groups of 3 and one group of 2 balls.

If the scales balance then the heavy ball is one of the two left over.

Weigh the two balls and the heavier ball with drop the scales therefore you will then know which ball is the heaviest one.

Or you can do it in reverse to find the lighter weighing ball.

Nice to add the grass stained practice ball to make you think...... :eek:

lol about the pictures, I looked on google and wrote 8 balls and thats what popped up, then not to confuse ppl too much on top of page I wrote not a trick question.

""""""So what happens if the scale is not balanced when weighing 3 on 3 ?""""""

AllAboutStealth 05-13-2013 02:42 PM

Also check this one out guys....... THIS IS SOMETHING EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW!!! To many mistakes done daily and never knowing.

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/everyth...tml#post449009

slapped 05-13-2013 11:08 PM

rsot 05-14-2013 08:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 636

Higher math.

mine 05-14-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllAboutStealth (Post 448998)
Sorry mine I cant seem to understand your answer

It reads pretty clear to me. What part don't you understand?

AllAboutStealth 05-14-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slapped (Post 449190)
Here is where I got my lesson in HIGHER Mathamatics:

Abbott And Costello 13 X 7 is 28 - YouTube

Slapped thats an awesome video!

AllAboutStealth 05-14-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mine (Post 448921)

"Place three balls on each side.

If the scales are balanced then weight the remaining two balls to find the odd ball."

This much I understood perfectly

Now the rest I understood, "If the scales are tipped(uneven) then remove one ball from each side and replace with the unweighed(the two balls that we didnt weight) balls."

slapped 05-15-2013 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllAboutStealth (Post 449001)
lol about the pictures, I looked on google and wrote 8 balls and thats what popped up, then not to confuse ppl too much on top of page I wrote not a trick question.

""""""So what happens if the scale is not balanced when weighing 3 on 3 ?""""""

Then Simply Discard the 3 Lighter weighting Balls, Then, select 2 of the 3 Remaining Balls and weigh the 2 of them against each other, if One is Heavier then you have your anwser on the scales if they are both the same then the heavest ball is NOT on the scale,,,

I had to watch that Abbot and Costello Math lesson to figure it out,,,oh and By the way if you ever want to know a little about Baseball:,,,

This Skit is actually in Baseballs Hall of Fame...

AllAboutStealth 05-16-2013 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slapped (Post 449573)
Then Simply Discard the 3 Lighter weighting Balls, Then, select 2 of the 3 Remaining Balls and weigh the 2 of them against each other, if One is Heavier then you have your anwser on the scales if they are both the same then the heavest ball is NOT on the scale,,,

I had to watch that Abbot and Costello Math lesson to figure it out,,,oh and By the way if you ever want to know a little about Baseball:,,,

Who's on first? - YouTube

This Skit is actually in Baseballs Hall of Fame...

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: the video gave me a good laugh, thnx

mine 05-16-2013 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllAboutStealth (Post 449535)
"Place three balls on each side.

If the scales are balanced then weight the remaining two balls to find the odd ball."

This much I understood perfectly

Now the rest I understood, "If the scales are tipped(uneven) then remove one ball from each side and replace with the unweighed(the two balls that we didnt weight) balls."

Then just swap a ball on each side with each other. The idea is you should have only one ball left on each side that has not moved since the first wiegh. That means if the scales tip the same way then the odd ball is that one which has not been moved. If the scale tips the other way then it's the ball you swapped. And if the scales are balanced then it was the ball you took off.

AllAboutStealth 05-16-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mine (Post 449970)
Then just swap a ball on each side with each other. The idea is you should have only one ball left on each side that has not moved since the first wiegh. That means if the scales tip the same way then the odd ball is that one which has not been moved. If the scale tips the other way then it's the ball you swapped. And if the scales are balanced then it was the ball you took off.

That could take more then 2 tries

GreenBean 05-16-2013 06:50 PM

Life's mysteries

:juggle:

golden_monkey 05-16-2013 11:28 PM

okkkkkkkkkkk here we go, rule of thumb is, if you post a riddle thing... and don't really know the 100% true answer.

don't post.

slapped 05-17-2013 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golden_monkey (Post 450148)
okkkkkkkkkkk here we go, rule of thumb is, if you post a riddle thing... and don't really know the 100% true answer.

don't post.

Where did you come from?