Anyone interested in launching our own sellers market site ?.... - Page 6 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > General Platform Discussions

General Platform Discussions Discuss other platforms (marketplace accounts, payment gateways, ad accounts, social accounts and more). In other words, if it's about another platform and it doesn't fit anywhere else, it goes here.

View Poll Results: Whats your take on this idea ?
Hell Yeah...Lets do it ! 29 87.88%
Naw...I'm a slave to eBay and PayPal 4 12.12%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2011
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHIBIT View Post
I dont even see why a handful of people who have already voiced they have no interest in the project continue posting here.

You've made your points, the points have been noted...so move on instead of hatin.

Its sad that if people dont agree they have to be ugly about it and try to ridicule ideas.

Either way, its going to happen and its faaaaarrrrrrrr more support than it is naysayers. So from here out I wont be responding to the negativity whatsoever.

Constructive criticism is ok, and I welcome and embrace it, but attempting to derail with constant negativity regardless of how subtle or brash it is only drives me to get this going even more.
Huh? I assume this is in response to my reply above. If you read through this thread, I've been giving you valuable advice over 3 pages. Through my posts, I gave you software and PCI compliance recommendations, advice on webhosting (including the fact that "unlimited" anything doesn't exist), etc.

The only thing I made fun of is the "feature" to ban/limit/suspend sellers, which was meant in a sarcastic way, since the reason you're doing this whole thing is because you're sick of eBay suspending you and other sellers.

So, please read my posts again, they're hardly "derailing". Maybe you're confusing me with someone else.

The Following User Says Thank You to imjustme For This Useful Post:
GrannyT (11-03-2011)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-02-2011
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 75%

Quote:
The only thing I made fun of is the "feature" to ban/limit/suspend sellers, which was meant in a sarcastic way, since the reason you're doing this whole thing is because you're sick of eBay suspending you and other sellers.

Nuff said

And the advice you gave that I thanked you for I already was aware of, I was just being polite.
Old 11-02-2011
MU

Longevity: 91%
Send a message via AIM to First Edition Send a message via MSN to First Edition Send a message via Yahoo to First Edition Send a message via Skype™ to First Edition

I think it's a great idea, but I think you will eventually see why ebay does what they do, if the site is successful.
Old 11-02-2011
Threadstarter  

I already do understand why SOME of their policies exist, and I also acknowledge that many other policies are driven by greed just like any other big corporation.

Profit quotas will ALWAYS mean more than the people that make the profits for them.

But the difference is there are ALWAYS alternative solutions to any problem and eBay chooses to bite the very hands that feed them.

Many of the problems I expect to encounter, already have plans that I can implement for the particular problem maker and not the entire userbase.

Old 11-03-2011
MU

Send a message via AIM to First Edition Send a message via MSN to First Edition Send a message via Yahoo to First Edition Send a message via Skype™ to First Edition

Lets you get say.... 10,000 sellers. How will you handle the problems that come about from 100000 customers on a one on one basis, and still turn a profit?

ebays biggest downfall was the forcing of people to use paypal, and the fact that a seller can't leave a buyer bad feedback. The CEO said it looks like a flea market... that was the appeal in the beginning.
Old 11-03-2011
Threadstarter  

sigh

Here we go...
First of all I'm not expecting nor targeting 10,000 sellers (let alone 100,000 buyers).
I exist in reality and have owned enough websites to know the reality of internet traffic, by means of unique views, and repeat visitors. Those numbers just dont or wont materialize out of thin air.

If the site suddenly ignites and is too much for a few mods to keep up with on a single website...then...I would break the site down and create different specific websites that target specific vendors and buyers.

By recording and analyzing the demographics of what is selling the most...where the majority of the profit base is coming from, and who is selling in the highest volume. That raw data alone would dictate to me its time to decompress the main site a bit and create an entire new niche market and hire a small support team.

But the reality of it all...is it wont ever get that far out of control.
As mentioned the current site and settings, plus some newly hardcoded features virtually eliminates a lot of the potential problems.

I can set it up to where the seller doesnt get paid until he at least posts a tracking number and the item has physically shipped.

Or I can set it up to where both buyer and seller have to pay to be verified to buy or sell.
I can enable 9 different payment methods, and (I think its 7) offline payment methods 4 of them being credit cards.

eBay's downfall wasn't forcing people to use Paypal because many people still prefer using it to this day.

I find myself less attracted to Paypal NOW...but I've never had an issue with them and in reality they helped me recover my money in disputes not related to eBay a few times.

eBay's downfall was constantly raising fees, tampering with auctions, poor judgement in allowing just anyone to sell (and buy), and not giving two hot farts about the people that made them their money which is the consumer.

And what really got people's goats was when they started messing with the final value by including shipping fees as a gross earning.

If its looking like a flea market to the CEO that moved the eBay call center to India then they ALLOWED it to become that way with the policy's they implemented to get quantity and not quality sellers and buyers from the gittyup.

You cant just create a monster, and at some point not be prepared to have to kill it.
And thats exactly what they are doing...slowly killing their monster.

But whats even worse...is that that monster they made has mutated and its called China.

So the bottom line is still the bottom line...Its about controlling from the start who and what is allowed to sell on the website.

For example if I know you're selling marshmellows thats fine.
But if those are counterfeit marshmellows and I know for a fact you're selling them, then you have one of two choices.
Go back to eBay, or start selling real marshmellows on this site.

Thats it and thats all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XHIBIT For This Useful Post:
GrannyT (11-03-2011), Pringles (11-15-2011)
Old 11-03-2011

XHIBIT - you are my kind of person - if I can help in any way whatsoever you just need to contact me and I will do my best for you

People like you and Imjustme are the future IMO .
The Following User Says Thank You to GrannyT For This Useful Post:
XHIBIT (11-03-2011)
Old 11-03-2011
Threadstarter  

Thank you for the thumbs up Gran...after coding and tweaking the script ( which is going on my 19th straight hour) your encouragement might entice me to make 1 last pot of coffee....LOL

No rest for the weary
Old 11-03-2011

I have mine with cream and one sugar please
Old 11-03-2011
Threadstarter  

Ya want a muffin with that too ?

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Old 11-03-2011

No - I'll have another slice of my home made Victoria sponge (I'm no racing snake!!)
Old 11-03-2011
Threadstarter  

sounds like a plan !
Old 11-03-2011
MU

Quote:

So the bottom line is still the bottom line...Its about controlling from the start who and what is allowed to sell on the website.

For example if I know you're selling marshmellows thats fine.
But if those are counterfeit marshmellows and I know for a fact you're selling them, then you have one of two choices.
Go back to eBay, or start selling real marshmellows on this site.

Thats it and thats all.
I don't see how this is different than what ebay/paypal do now.
Old 11-03-2011
Threadstarter  

Oh well, sorry you feel that way.
I've pointed out over and over, that eBay fumbled by allowing any and everybody to sell and buy on their site from the very beginning.
I don't plan to operate that way.

They created their own problems.
Maybe it was a big social experiment collecting data on buying habits, demographics, and trends. Who really knows ?
But in any event thats not really important now.

If I dont want certain items listed I can filter those items OUT of the equation by typing in the item name and any related keywords.
If for some reason they manage to subvert the item name (and/or keywords) they get an auto ban after so many attempts at relisting the item by using corresponding keywords.

In short, we will implement the standards that eBay neglected too do from the start.

This isnt nuclear physics. Its just plain old standards.
Old 11-04-2011
MU

So instead of launching your own site that is a takeaway from ebay, in other words, making a site that is not ebay, and is like the old, better ebay, you're making one identical to how ebay is now? Actually, it sounds like how Amazon does things these days.
Old 11-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Edition View Post
So instead of launching your own site that is a takeaway from ebay, in other words, making a site that is not ebay, and is like the old, better ebay, you're making one identical to how ebay is now? Actually, it sounds like how Amazon does things these days.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point - if so I apologise - but are you saying that all the nonsense things, the foo-foo and the VERO that have driven Ebay to where it is now SHOULD be allowed on any new site?
Old 11-04-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Edition View Post
you're making one identical to how ebay is now? Actually, it sounds like how Amazon does things these days.
At what point did I say I was making it identical to eBay ?
Because I never said that.

And secondly ...whats your point ?
Your line of questioning only seems to offer your rebuttals.
I'm not asking you to join or participate or to wish it well or to fail.
Since the creation of this thread, I've answered your questions with basically the same answer over and over again.

I don't use Amazon so I don't know nor care how they conduct their business.
So here's the bottom line.
People are disenfranchised with the way eBay treats them.
Not everyone (yet) but enough are... or are getting to that point.

Since I don't subscribe to a hive mentality I don't see the point in whining and bitching about the way they do business while jumping thru flaming hoops just to make a dollar or two on eBay.

Thus, I have decided to launch an alternative sellers/buyers site.

I'm not trying to compete or rival them in any way as I have said 10 times already in this thread.
Nor am I willing to allow myself to be screwed over by their company the sellers on their site or the buyers on their site.

It drives me crazy to hear people complaining about this and that when the simple solution is not to spend your money with them.

The perfect example is when gas prices hit 4.00 in some states if everyone decided not to buy gas just for 3 days...3 measly little days...I guarantee prices would have dropped like a hot potato.

Its no secret that corporations get away with, what people allow them to get away with.
And I don't plan on knowingly allowing buyers, sellers and especially myself to get screwed over when I launch the site.

So on that note do me a favor and stop badgering me with questions that veil your opinions, because honestly and truly...I really don't care to hear them or engage any further with you.

And like I said yesterday if you didn't understand the answers to your questions...I'm sorry you feel that way, but at this point whether you understand fully or not it just doesn't matter to me.
Old 11-06-2011
MU

Quote:
I don't use Amazon so I don't know nor care how they conduct their business.
- you should care, they're extremely successful. I made a boat load of money off of their stock.

Quote:
So here's the bottom line.
People are disenfranchised with the way eBay treats them.
Not everyone (yet) but enough are... or are getting to that point.
You're going to treat them the same way. Have you considered that the reason ebay kicks people off without a reason is because it's safer from a liability perspective?
The Following User Says Thank You to First Edition For This Useful Post:
XHIBIT (11-06-2011)
Old 11-06-2011
Threadstarter  

Since you really serve no purpose on this thread other than making assumptions, because your'e a self professed know it all, try staying off of it.

1st off you dont have the right to tell me what I should and shouldnt care about...nobody asked you how much money you made off of Amazon, especially since they weren't the topic of this thread.

And lastly...the only types of people that will get treated any particular way is people like YOU that are problematic, arrogant, argumentative and that hate to see something work other than their methods.

If I don't want certain items on the site to avoid issues then it sucks to be you.
And if I don't want certain attitudes on the site to further avoid problems, then once again it sucks to be you.

I've asked you nicely to quit badgering me and have told you I really don't CARE about your opinions because its been negative from day one even after I took the time to answer your repeated questions.

You don't know it all, you don't know me, and you don't know how I intend on running the site so find something else to do.

You were warned on another thread you badgered me on to knock it off by a mod as is.
That just goes to show in your mind its all about YOU.

~ Reality check~
It aint !
Old 11-06-2011
MU

Reality check > ideas and innovation are spawned from conversation and conjecture

I never said I knew it all....... ugh. I know quite a bit, and I have a lot of experience. You're not the first person I've had open conversations with on the forum, and you won't be the last.

So you're suggesting a forum is not the place for conversations?

Have you thought about doing something completely unique, new, and more awesome than ebay or amazon? I lump amazon into the mix, because many, many people that shop on ebay also shop on amazon, and vice versa... and they're extremely successful and good at what they do.

I think I will spend the rest of the night "badgering you" because I have nothing else to do... I'm not a busy person or anything. I know it all.... after all. Why don't you spend less time insulting me and spend more time offering ideas? I never said the idea for starting a site is a bad idea. In fact, I've been a huge advocate for people doing just that for years.
Old 11-06-2011

Longevity: 73%

Quote:
Thankee very mush Gran

And I'm sure there will be something in it for ya as soon as
sacrifice this utopie ))
Old 11-06-2011
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,535 Times in 2,189 Posts
Activity: 69%

Just to be clear, what I said on the other thread before closing it goes for ALL of you!
No exceptions. I'm not going to let you bother aspkin for kiddie quarrel.
And that goes for you as well, op.

My 2nd and last warning, play nice. I'm not fooling around.
Closed Thread