Multiple Routers for Multiple IP addresses? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > IP Address

IP Address Changing your IP address, multiple IPs, VPNs, hiding your IP, phone tethering, MiFi devices, hotspots and more.

Old 03-18-2009
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 91%
Default Multiple Routers for Multiple IP addresses?

OK so how does this work? I have Verizon DSL and I am getting tired of turning my router off and on to get a new IP address everytime. I have 1 pc hooked up to a single router now. Is there anyway to get another router to a different pc in my house and have 2 different ip addresses to both computers? I have 2 desktops and 2 laptops and I eventually want to have a different IP address for each. Is this possible?

That way I can run an ebay account per computer with a different IP for each.

Thanks.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-18-2009

Longevity: 88%
Send a message via AIM to lakeman Send a message via MSN to lakeman Send a message via Yahoo to lakeman

Are you using a wired or wireless router? If all of your computers are wireless and your router is wireless then each one should have its own ip.
Old 03-18-2009
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

I didnt know you can even have a wireless router. I thought you had to have it connected to a phone line then wired to the desktop.
Old 03-18-2009

Send a message via AIM to lakeman Send a message via MSN to lakeman Send a message via Yahoo to lakeman

Nope, there are wireless routers. It should say on your router if it is wireless.

The router has an ethernet cable to the DSL Modem, and if your router is wireless(your laptops/pcs must be also) then you can connect any where in your house wireless and every computer will have its own IP. If you have a wired router then you can put the two laptops next to the router and your pc that is currently hooked to it and you will have 3 different ips. Your router must have available ports for that to work. I believe most routers have at least 4 ports, mine does.
Old 03-18-2009
Administrator

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 1%
Longevity: 100%

No no no.. each computer won't have it's own IP Address. It doesn't work that way.

What a router does is share you connection and your IP Address between the different computers connected to it.

If you go to a library or if you're at a school, you'll notice most computers are using the same IP Address.

Aking for you to have two different IPs at the same time you need two different connections.

I ordered two modems from my cable company to get two broadband connections setup in my house at one time.

It's a waste really.

A better way would be to swap out routers when you want to change your IP Address, or just use dial up.

Cheers!
Old 03-18-2009

I disagree. I have one wireless router and one DSL modem, I have 2 PCS and 4 laptops in my house, if I go to whatismyip.com on all of them at the same time, everyone of them will have a different IP.

I just searched on Google "should two computers ever have the same ip" and found every link I clicked said NO!

Can two computers have the same IP? - Yahoo! Answers

Heres some I copied and paste from the above link.

Can two computers have the same IP?

NO.....IPs uniquely identify a system...so why on earth would u like two coms to have same ip...if both are connected it ll show a conflict msg.... there are ways to share the internet connection between two coms... jus google it dude..

Computers must have different I.P. addresses, otherwise there would be no way to reliably contact one of them (imagine if 2 people had the same telephone number).

no they cannot, Every computer has at least one ip address, and two computers should never have the same ip address. If they do, neither of them will be able to connect to the internet.

Last edited by lakeman; 03-18-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-18-2009

Longevity: 87%

I have 2 PCs hooked up to cable internet via a router. Both computers have the SAME IP address when I check IPBurger.com

The only difference in IP addresses between my 2 computers is the IP address within my personal network. This IP is not the one that matters, it is the IP for the internet connection itself.

On that Yahoo Question mentioned above, the girl says that both computers are registering the SAME IP address when they check ipchicken. So therefore, each computer does not have a unique IP.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think there is some confusion between the IP address that a website sees and the one that is assigned within a network that a website would not see, and really needs to be clarified by someone a bit more knowledgeable on the subject than I am.
Old 03-18-2009

That is weird you have the same IP when you go to IPBurger. Mine are all different, I have read a few people on Google say two computers have the same IP and everyone replies telling them something is wrong, that's not good. Just like they told the girl in the link I posted.
Old 03-19-2009
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

aspkin or google/yahoo? Who might know more than enough to keep ME
going on ebay? oh, aspkin wins.

Don't forget this is aspkin,the person we deal with every day about ebay matters. Not somebody answering on yahoo who knows nothing about our agenda.

aking, you threadstarter wonder you, you can get wireless broadband with a usb port for internet access.
Couple of sites:wireless isp directory Compare Cost Price Speed Service of Broadband Wireless ISPs providing wireless Internet vs other types of ISP broadband connections for VoIP IP Telephony
Wireless Broadband USA

Last edited by GreenBean; 03-19-2009 at 01:37 AM.
Old 03-19-2009

Longevity: 90%

i have 2 laptops and pc on my wireless connection and have different ip
Old 03-19-2009

Greenbean, its not that I think Google is right more then Aspkin, its that I have personal experience and every computer in my house is different! Also every website I have read said if two computers have the same IP then something is setup wrong on your network. I don't know what to say besides I know I have different IPS.

Thank you Josh, I knew I wasn't the only one here, with different ips in one house.
Old 03-19-2009
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 99%

If your computer is getting its internet feed directly from the router either thru a direct connection thru the router's ethernet plug or via the wireless connection, it picks up the ROUTER'S IP addy. Each new router produces a new ip when you swap them out as long as that new router has been turned off for 24 hrs. To use just one router and change them faster you will need to go to your admin page for the router and change the MAC address. To change the mac address you can use any combination of letters or numbers for the LAST TWO PAIRS of numbers in mac address of the router. The letters must not exceed the letter "F". So you can use A1 & 34, 22 & 11, EA & BC or 4R & FF, etc etc. DO NOT CHANGE ANY OTHER PAIRS IN THE MAC ADDRESS...JUST THE LAST TWO. To get an IP back: keep track of the MAC addresses and their corresponding IP's. Usually you can get them back if you re-connect to them in a 24 hr period.

PS..You will need to turn off your router and modem for 30 seconds after each change.

Last edited by ebaykilla; 03-20-2009 at 06:50 AM.
Old 03-19-2009

Ebaykilla, That must be why I have all different. I use wireless, Aspkin are you using wireless or wired internet?
Old 03-19-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshb61032 View Post
i have 2 laptops and pc on my wireless connection and have different ip
Wireless connection is different, I'm talking about computers sharing one router, or connection.
Old 03-19-2009

I am also talking about sharing one internet connection, I have 1 Wireless router that all of my computers run off from and they are on the same connection.
Old 03-19-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman View Post
Ebaykilla, That must be why I have all different. I use wireless, Aspkin are you using wireless or wired internet?

I use both wireless and wired, who is your ISP?

Computers share ips all the time, so you're wrong about that. What do you think a computer network is?

Regardless I rather not argue about it.
Old 03-19-2009

I have Bellsouth. I'm not trying to argue, I'm just saying I've never seen two computers in one house with the same ip. To help back me up I searched around on Google and found lots of people say its not possible to share the same ip. I'm just stating from personal experience and research, I believe you have two conputers with the same ip I just don't see how.
Old 03-20-2009

Longevity: 89%

you dont have to physically turn your router off to change you ip address
you can just restart it from the http interface
Old 03-20-2009

There may be some difference between cable high speed connection and phone high speed connection as lakeman has it. I have cable, one router attached to my PC upstairs and two laptops downstairs. One laptop that is wireless, has the same IP as my PC connected to the router upstairs. The other "old" laptop, still with windows 98 on it, I only use dial up when I need to log into my Ebay accounts to answer emails.(Sloooow...but serves the purpose.)

Also,I can't ever change my IP just by turning my router off and on. In order to change permanently my IP I had to resort to changing MAC address as stated above.
That's why I believe some things are different when it comes to cable and DSL high speeds. What works on one, may not work on the other...........I am by no means an expert, but observed this when I was pressed to change my cable IP and found this info just by reading forums.
Old 03-20-2009

Longevity: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyda View Post
I can't ever change my IP just by turning my router off and on. In order to change permanently my IP I had to resort to changing MAC address as stated above.
I also have cable with a router and that is exactly what I had to do. I had tried turning off my modem and router for as long as 12 hours at a time with no luck in changing the IP.

Once I changed my MAC and powered everything down for about half hour, the IP changed. So I am thinking you may be right that there are some differences between Cable and DSL.
Old 03-20-2009
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 99%

Cable will give a new IP without changing anything if you power down for 24 hours..not 12.
Old 03-21-2009

Lyda, that sounds like it may be the reason some people have different ips and some have the same. Since I am using DSL, it would make since if Aspkin is using Cable. Are you Aspkin?