Building a custom computer... - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 06-05-2010
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 88%
Default Building a custom computer...

I'm going to build a custom computer but I'm not sure if I should or not. I was technically going to purchase a barebone computer on ebay but something came to my mind, that I should make my own computer. I wanted your opinion if I should purchase a barebone computer on ebay or I should make my own computer.

Here is the barebone computer I was interested on ebay:

or

I'm not sure if I should build my computer but wanted to know your opinion. Maybe Vic could guide me...

”I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else.”
Winston Churchill

“If you’re going through hell, keep going.”
Winston Churchill
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 06-05-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,406 Times in 871 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Build you own, For several reasons, You will Learn more, Have the ability to troubleshoot, make future modifications, choose EVERY Component to best suit your needs, and Many Many more.

It might even be a good idea to have a thread on that here, one that will discuss building the Ultimate Stealth computer, there are different things that you could build into a custom computer system that are better for stealth.
The Following User Says Thank You to slapped For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2010
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapped View Post
Build you own, For several reasons, You will Learn more, Have the ability to troubleshoot, make future modifications, choose EVERY Component to best suit your needs, and Many Many more.

It might even be a good idea to have a thread on that here, one that will discuss building the Ultimate Stealth computer, there are different things that you could build into a custom computer system that are better for stealth.
Please recommend me stealth computer components. I need to order the parts fast as I am going to USA at the end of the month. I'm going to be buying some of my parts on ebay, except for the most obvious ones which are easily counterfeited like ram....

Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill
Old 06-05-2010

Longevity: 80%

Quote:
GREAT idea!!!
Old 06-05-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 90%

During your research, if you run across any type of NEW mother board that does NOT have a built in LAN (ethernet) connector please let me know.

I have looked before but could not find any NEW mother boards that did NOT have a built in LAN connector.
Old 06-05-2010

Longevity: 84%

That would be a good thread to have "how to build a stealth computer" maybe with a list of components needed and also how to flash a modem would be good to.
Old 06-05-2010
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuntz View Post
That would be a good thread to have "how to build a stealth computer" maybe with a list of components needed and also how to flash a modem would be good to.
There is no such thing as stealth computers....

I've never heard of a stealth computer before, but let me google it.

Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill
Old 06-05-2010

It's not really a stealth computer but a computer that's designed for better stealth use. Here's a site you might want to check out:

stealth manufactures, rackmount PCs, rugged lcd's, industrial computers, rugged portable PCs, industrial lcd monitors, panelmount PCs, and mini PCs

Last edited by jbluntz; 06-05-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-05-2010
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuntz View Post
It's not really a stealth computer but a computer that's designed for better stealth use. Here's a site you might want to check out:

stealth manufactures, rackmount PCs, rugged lcd's, industrial computers, rugged portable PCs, industrial lcd monitors, panelmount PCs, and mini PCs
Thats not a stealth computer. Thats called a quite free computer...

Nothing stealth about that, just a quite/noise free computer..

Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill
Old 06-06-2010

Longevity: 80%

all you need is a p4 rig if your just going to be ebaying =\
Old 06-06-2010

I wasn't reffering to the computers on the site, I just put that in there hence the name www stealthcomputers com I was reffering to a computer that could be designed to better fit a stealth persons needs.
Old 06-06-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by huyyy View Post
all you need is a p4 rig if your just going to be ebaying =\
P2 Not P4, The Intel P3 ( And Later) was the First CPU To Come with a Unique Serial Id
jbluntz (06-06-2010)
Old 06-06-2010

You just taught me something I didn't know, I'm gonna write that down.
Also I'm using intel celeron D is that covered as well? Never mind I guess celeron D came out in '05 and pentium II came out in '98 but still seems to be working pretty good with ebay. I wonder if that's how amazon really tracks.

Last edited by jbluntz; 06-06-2010 at 01:56 AM.
Old 06-06-2010

Longevity: 82%

Quote:
Ultimate Stealth computer
That sounds awesome. I would pay for that.

-Albert Einstein
Old 06-06-2010
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%

Build your own computer burning, starting with a barebones computer is good, it makes it just a little easier. I was thinking about building a new desktop computer.. but then I figured I already have three, two in which I built myself, I don't really need another desktop. Plus, all I use now are laptop computers.

But building your own computer is a good learning experience.

And depending on what you want out of your computer, whether for gaming, media or just basic internet usage, determines what parts you need.

I don't think there is such a thing as a stealth computer.. but there are things you can do to make your computer just a little bit harder to track.
Old 06-06-2010
Vicvelcro

Longevity: 0%

There is indeed such a thing as a stealth computer. I have constructed a couple and they are so comfortable to work from.

HWGA, I'll see if I can find you your motherboard.

jbuntz, I can post a list of components, but a person wouldn't be able to do much from just a pile of components. The user would also have to know how to configure those components in the most advantageous manner. Flashing modems can be problematic. Easy to make them bricks if you blink at the wrong stage of flashing. The tools and gear have an initial cost that makes it uneconomical for occasional use. Cheaper to buy from somebody who flashes en-mass. Premods and postmods are available. Prices vary based on quality and features. Not all ISPs provide enough 'room' in their system for a workable flashed modem. Most can use one, some simply can not. A user would have to have a pretty good grasp of the DOCSIS standards and the specific parameters of the system they would be obtaining signal from. Sometimes, it gets brutal.

People who are not already fluent in hardware/software would have a lot to learn and that would take MUCH time (possibly years with textbooks in some instances). A simple tutorial wouldn't suffice. Different purposes for the end unit means no single design fits all. How does one create a flexible tutorial?

I'll spend a few days tossing this around in my head. If I come up with something that would do more help than harm, I'd be willing to contribute. If a few of us who are capable were to put our brains on it, we might come up with a general starter box for people to build up from.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Burning (06-06-2010), GreenBean (06-06-2010), Here We Go Again (06-07-2010), rsot (06-08-2010), slapped (06-06-2010)
Old 06-06-2010
Executive [VIP]

Great post Vic, It is Very, very true, However I CAN Suggest as to where to start.

First off I believe that Your CPU Should be an Older model a Model from Before CPU makers began assigning Unique ID Numbers to CPU's as I Posted above.

For Intel that would be a P2 and Before for Amd The ORIGINAL K7 Cpu (ATHLON) and Before. I believe VIA NEVER Used Unique Serial ID's But I May be wrong.

Another thing it to use Very Few and VERY Popular Components In other words for Motherboards, Gigabyte, MSI, Asus, Their MOST POPULAR models, try to use Intergrated Graphics, Sound and as Few Components as possible, a CD ROM as opposed to a DVD /CD Burner, the Idea is to keep your "Device Tree" as Small, Invisible and COMMON as Possible.

I DO NOT Know if Ebay/Paypal See and Their Users System, but I Do Know that it is Possible to a Certain Extent.
Old 06-06-2010
Banned

Longevity: 85%

I'm just wondering who here has had 1 account go down and the rest soon followed? If it did happen were you using IE or FF?
Old 06-06-2010
Vicvelcro

Longevity: 0%

I'd take your side about 95%. Slight variation is all.

I suggest somebody make a specific thread, then PM me the permalink so I can find it later. I'll meet you there later when I take care of some chores.

Quote:
Great post Vic, It is Very, very true, However I CAN Suggest as to where to start.

First off I believe that Your CPU Should be an Older model a Model from Before CPU makers began assigning Unique ID Numbers to CPU's as I Posted above.

For Intel that would be a P2 and Before for Amd The ORIGINAL K7 Cpu (ATHLON) and Before. I believe VIA NEVER Used Unique Serial ID's But I May be wrong.

Another thing it to use Very Few and VERY Popular Components In other words for Motherboards, Gigabyte, MSI, Asus, Their MOST POPULAR models, try to use Intergrated Graphics, Sound and as Few Components as possible, a CD ROM as opposed to a DVD /CD Burner, the Idea is to keep your "Device Tree" as Small, Invisible and COMMON as Possible.

I DO NOT Know if Ebay/Paypal See and Their Users System, but I Do Know that it is Possible to a Certain Extent.
Old 06-06-2010
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

P2 is waay to slow, for my needs. P4 can barely run AVG. I have intel core 2 duo but I find it a little slow for my gaming and other needs. I will be switching to i7 or an i5..

Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill
Old 06-06-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning View Post
P2 is waay to slow, for my needs. P4 can barely run AVG. I have intel core 2 duo but I find it a little slow for my gaming and other needs. I will be switching to i7 or an i5..

Custom Built Computers should be built so that they can Best achieve the Primary Task that you need it to achieve with them. In this case we are talking about Building a Computer that can Navigate the Internet with Maximum Anonymity (Stealth)

If you Want a gamming Computer i just finished Building one last week, ( A Treat for Myself)---This machine will "Get your Gamming Rocks off"

Here Is the hardware list:

CPU: Intel Core i7 975 Overclocked to 4.3 Ghtz
Motherboard: ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution
Power Supply: BFG EX 1200 Power Supply
Memory: 12gb Kingston DDR3 KHX1800C9D3T1FK3
Video Cards: 2- ATI 5970 (I Will add another, someday)
Sound Card: Auzentech Auzen X-Fi Home Theater HD
Hardrives: 1 WD VelociRaptor 300gb WD3000HLFS ( I Know SSD)
2nd Hardrive 1 Wd Caviar Black 2 TB
Optical: Blu Ray/DVD/CD Reader/Burner Plextor PX-B940SA
5in1 card reader/writer----Windows 7 64 Bit operating System

I just finished building it Last week, GREAT For Gamming/Home Theater

But I would Not want to use this Computer for Stealth

Last edited by slapped; 06-06-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Burning (06-06-2010)
Old 06-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by oge View Post
I'm just wondering who here has had 1 account go down and the rest soon followed? If it did happen were you using IE or FF?
I had about 25 accounts go down using firefox, only because I was buying and selling between all of them and I still have plenty more up on the same computer which is a newer model.