What to do with buyer who pays for 1 item but not another? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 06-12-2012

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 69%
Default What to do with buyer who pays for 1 item but not another?

I have a buyer who bought two items.
Did not pay at once.
I opened unpaid item case after 4 days for both items.
Buyer has 4 days to pay after case has been opened.
On the last day of the opened case, she paid for one item but not another.
She asked me to cancel the transaction for the one she did not pay as she had no money.

I would very much like to leave that unpaid item strike on her account rather than just canceling the transaction.
She had made me wait for 8 days and on the last day, asked me to cancel.
What do you mean no money to pay.
You should not buy something and then think you have 8 days to raise funds for it and expect the seller to hang on the item for 8 days waiting for you to pay.
In the first place, I think it is way too long for eBay to give buyers 8 days in total to pay for an item before they receive a strike.
Buyers get irate if sellers even take 2 days to dispatch their item, yet they treat it as their right to take their time to make payment.

Now in the midst of all this unfairness, this buyer adds to that by conveniently asking me to cancel the transaction "because it is the last day of the unpaid item case."
I had never been in this situation before.
Now if I let her get an unpaid item strike by not doing as she requested, she can leave me bad feedback and low DSRs for the item that she bought, to get back at me.
Does eBay have any policy that if I can get them to remove her bad feedback and low DSR because she got an unpaid item strike from me and is manipulating her feedback to take revenge??
Anyway, what would you do in this situation?
Cancel or let her get the unpaid item strike?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 06-12-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

/quote

Now if I let her get an unpaid item strike by not doing as she requested, she can leave me bad feedback and low DSRs for the item that she bought, to get back at me.

Seems pretty clear what to do no? If she bought one item and you are SURE she will be happy with it...you might as well cancel the transaction and avoid potential neg. feedback. Yes it is a bad buyer move but sometimes you do have to let things go.
Old 06-12-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%

It's better to just let it go than to be pissed about her not paying. I would talk to the customer and say hey, how many days or how long would it take for them to have the cash to buy the 2nd item.

I've had irate customers where the item i sold them didn't work but I usually would kill them with kindness, compassion, make them not mad, and usually it works.

Same in this case, try and work with the customer, you never know, something might have happened where they needed to use the cash for something more important at the last second.

If you go into this situation wanting to rip their faces off, your not gonna make it too far.
Old 06-12-2012
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 72%

This is precisely the reason all my BIN listings require immediate payment. It's crazy people BIN but not pay for it now.
Old 06-12-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,021 Times in 709 Posts
Longevity: 75%

least she is paying for one and you'll get your FVF back for canceling the other. Why risk feedback when this is somewhat of a win win situation for you?
Old 06-12-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%

@JJGOLD, Yeah I always have Must Pay Now, none of this oh 48hrs to pay crap. last 2 sales i tried auction style again, god what a mess with people not paying. I'm sticking to BIN's.
Old 06-12-2012
Threadstarter  

Hey, its a no brainer to require immediate payment with Buy It Now.
Unfortunately, they do not have this option with auctions. :(

Thanks for all the quick input.
I have opened cancel transaction cases, as per the buyer's request... and horrors, they automatically closed the previous unpaid item case!
Now the buyer has 7 more days to respond to the cancel transaction case.
So in practice, a buyer can win and auction and not pay, then after 8 days ask the seller to cancel transaction, then pay on the 7th day, taking a total of 15 days to pay... and the poor seller has to hold on to the item and check daily if the buyer has paid, since the poor seller is expected to wait long but dispatch immediately.
Wowww... eBay rocks for sellers!
What can I say?!?
Old 06-12-2012

Longevity: 82%

**** happens. In your position I would have just cancelled transaction and sent the item she paid for, nothing else to really do.

-Albert Einstein
Old 06-12-2012
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

I also do the immediate payment with BIN.

The only way to fix this is cancel and re list.
Old 06-12-2012

Longevity: 70%

I had one crazy American guy claim that he paid for the item and had received it and all was well, and that this is apparently why he had not left me negative feedback. He was trying to blag his way out of paying for it. But he had never paid and I had therefore never sent anything out! I then opened an unpaid item case against him, and he proceeded to manually mark payment as "sent" and open an his own item not received case, where he spewed his lies and said that it is due to sellers like me that eBay has problems (lol). Then the idiot left me negative feedback saying making me out to be the shady one. I escalated both disputes to eBay customer support and they of course found in my favour, and removed the feedback, because the "buyer" had no right to, since no transaction really took place.

So you could have got them to remove any retaliatory feedback.

Last edited by Elijah; 06-12-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-13-2012
Threadstarter  

Woww... that American buyer is one big-time scammer man!
And he turned around to bite you instead! Vicious!

Well, I've settled it.
Opened a cancel transaction case and the buyer agreed - case is closed and I can move on.
Hope she doesn't give me more problems with the purchased item.
Old 06-13-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

You can not enjoy selling with all the grief you make for yourself.

It's not personal, it's just business. geeze
Old 06-13-2012

Longevity: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleTea View Post
Woww... that American buyer is one big-time scammer man!
And he turned around to bite you instead! Vicious!
I know, it was literally the worst transaction that I had ever had on eBay. He appeared to have convinced himself that his story was the truth, and we went back and forth about the whole thing in messages but he would not budge, even though I told him that he has NO chance of winning (especially since he shot himself in the foot by opening an INR case for something that he just moments earlier had claimed to have received.). Once I won the cases and feedback was removed, he then sent me one last message calling me a "fool". I told him to get a reality check, jump in the middle of traffic and thereby make life so much easier for the other human beings in this world. I never heard back after that and he is now suspended, thank God.

I also forgot to add: If you have your settings set to open cases automatically rather than manually, then they cannot leave you feedback btw, and the whole little dilemma (cancel transaction and leave "buyer" happy, or do the "right" thing and put a strike on their account, and get bad feedback in return) could be avoided. Keep that in mind for the future.

Last edited by Elijah; 06-13-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-13-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah View Post
Once I won the cases and feedback was removed, he then sent me one last message calling me a "fool". I told him to get a reality check, jump in the middle of traffic and thereby make life so much easier for the other human beings in this world. I never heard back after that and he is now suspended, thank God.
Sighhh..... the morons of this world make this world a difficult place to live in.
I wish to migrate to Smurfland - they only have one Gargamel to deal with lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah View Post
I also forgot to add: If you have your settings set to open cases automatically rather than manually, then they cannot leave you feedback btw, and the whole little dilemma (cancel transaction and leave "buyer" happy, or do the "right" thing and put a strike on their account, and get bad feedback in return) could be avoided. Keep that in mind for the future.
I thought they cannot leave you any feedback if they got an unpaid item strike from you, regardless of whether it was manual or automatic?
Well, my dilemma was that she paid for one item so she could leave feedback for that item.

By the way, my automatic unpaid item seems to take a long time to open and close the case once the time is up.
It does not do it immedialtely... it was even like a day late and I couldn't wait and did it manually myself... haha.