It pays to pay attention to your buyers - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Amazon X

Amazon X The juicy stuff...

Old 08-25-2011
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 93%
Default It pays to pay attention to your buyers

Note: this is in the subscriber's area just so the buyer doesn't run across it by any chance.

So I had this buyer who purchased a brand new Microsoft XP Home SP2 (retail) software from me on Amazon. As many of you will know, the COA on top of the box has what appears to be a hand-torn hole in it, through which a security strip is threaded.

Anyway, this lady emails me this morning out of the blue, talking what appears to be gibberish about how the COA was "damaged" and how she was disappointed in me, and would return the product and file a chargeback on her card.

My first instinct was to reply with a scathing email, my thought process being "what the hell is she talking about? So there is damage to the COA, big deal, the software is almost ten years old!!!" (I did not know, at this point, that she thought the COA tear was damage and NOT Microsoft-provided security).

But I swallowed my pride and sent the usual "how can I help you, I am here to ensure your satisfaction, let's get this worked out etc etc" email.

And she replied saying how she'd researched the issue based on my reply (which assured her that the software was genuine), and it turns out the tear is standard equipment on older MS COA's. And she will go ahead and install the software and she thinks she made a mistake in accusing me.

Moral of the story? Your buyer may not know as much about your product as you do. Be polite. Keep the lines of communication open. You can always grow a backbone in your communication later, when it appears you're dealing with a scammer or a total jerk. Sometimes your buyers are just confused or misinformed and need some guidance.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ovidiu For This Useful Post:
Alps_a somewhatlegend (08-25-2011), Burning (08-28-2011), GrannyT (08-26-2011), GreenBean (08-25-2011), GTB (08-26-2011), xdirc (08-26-2011)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-25-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Bravo! Well impressed with

Moral of the story? Your buyer may not know as much about your product as you do. Be polite. Keep the lines of communication open. You can always grow a backbone in your communication later, when it appears you're dealing with a scammer or a total jerk. Sometimes your buyers are just confused or misinformed and need some guidance.

As the Spanish say, have the cojones
Old 08-25-2011
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Now all I have to do is ensure she doesn't blame me for the "hiccup" and leave me a 3 out of 5 with some bs like "ok to work with, I had a question and seller responded promptly, not the best service you know".
Old 08-26-2011
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 77%

Quote:
But I swallowed my pride and sent the usual "how can I help you, I am here to ensure your satisfaction, let's get this worked out etc etc" email.
Aka pull your pants down and bend over? Sorry couldn't help myself.

Old 08-26-2011
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Lol yep that's it.
Old 08-26-2011
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial333 View Post
Aka pull your pants down and bend over? Sorry couldn't help myself.

I second that.

But nice customer service.

A lot of buyers are idiots, and just overreact at the slightest bit of confusion. Its basically "let the baby have his bottle" with Amazon buyers.

Just to be sure they do leave you a glowing feedback, i would send another email stating how sorry you were for her anxiety, and let her know you are sending a small gift as a token of your appreciation for her understanding. Nothing fancy, just a flash card, or memory stick. It always works for me. Just a matter of hedging your bets. These buyers are wildcards, and can ruin your metrics, and performance levels in a heartbeat.

But again, kudos for resoving the situation in a professional manner.
ovidiu (08-26-2011)
Old 08-26-2011
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

i would send another email stating how sorry you were for her anxiety, and let her know you are sending a small gift as a token of your appreciation for her understanding. Nothing fancy, just a flash card, or memory stick

I probably will go this route. Like you said, hedging your bets. Amazing how many dumb buyers online!!!
Old 08-26-2011
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovidiu View Post
i would send another email stating how sorry you were for her anxiety, and let her know you are sending a small gift as a token of your appreciation for her understanding. Nothing fancy, just a flash card, or memory stick

I probably will go this route. Like you said, hedging your bets. Amazing how many dumb buyers online!!!
Yeah, you really have to coddle these dimwits to no end. Alot of sellers dont understand that when you nuture, and grow these Amazon accounts they are like your kids, and you have to go above and beyond to protect them.

Selling on Amazon, after a couple of emails from a potential buyer, you develop a sixth sense in terms of how much trouble they are gonna be. Thats why I get the merchandise out to them as soon as possible, priority mail, AND send a small gift with the item explaining its my way of showing my appreciation for the order. I buy these small gifts in bulk so they are not really a major cost, but the benefits are priceless in terms of goodwill, and feedback. Plus, I just write them off my taxes at the end of the year.

Last edited by cherrqell; 08-26-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-26-2011

Longevity: 75%
Send a message via ICQ to xdirc Send a message via AIM to xdirc Send a message via MSN to xdirc Send a message via Yahoo to xdirc

I must say kudos to you. Some buyers really are ignorant, but its not their fault. Atleast you had someone that understood. I once had a buyer that left me positive feedback, cause he cut himself on the plastic that the item came in. As we all know, you can buy stuff at the store, alot of times cell phones when bought at walmart will be in a hard plastic, that you have to use scissors or box cutter with. Well this clown said it was packaged very badly, because he cut himself, but the plastic is how it comes from the factory and even at Walmart. I tried to be nice and sympathetic about it, but it didnt change anything.

I know, its not really on your topic. But thanks for expressing why you should always be polite and understanding, its the only way to do successful business.
Old 08-26-2011
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Did he leave you a positive (as you said), or a negative?
Old 08-27-2011
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdirc View Post
I must say kudos to you. Some buyers really are ignorant, but its not their fault. Atleast you had someone that understood. I once had a buyer that left me positive feedback, cause he cut himself on the plastic that the item came in. As we all know, you can buy stuff at the store, alot of times cell phones when bought at walmart will be in a hard plastic, that you have to use scissors or box cutter with. Well this clown said it was packaged very badly, because he cut himself, but the plastic is how it comes from the factory and even at Walmart. I tried to be nice and sympathetic about it, but it didnt change anything.

I know, its not really on your topic. But thanks for expressing why you should always be polite and understanding, its the only way to do successful business.
Thats very interesting because I read somewhere those hard shell plastic clamshell packages were one of the top reasons people visit the emergency room for serious injuries. They do this to deter shoplifting, but a few people ended up suing and the companies, and lost millions. I noticed that a lot of products are now eliminating that package in favor of a more environment friendly, and easy to open enclosure.
Old 08-27-2011

Longevity: 75%
Send a message via ICQ to xdirc Send a message via AIM to xdirc Send a message via MSN to xdirc Send a message via Yahoo to xdirc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovidiu View Post
Did he leave you a positive (as you said), or a negative?
OOps, i meant to say he left me negative feedback..
Old 08-27-2011

Longevity: 85%

Selling in the 'high risk' department of media on Amazon customer service is the single most important, as in my case, acquired skill to have. Any issues that could lead to A-to-z claims, charge backs, or negatives are avoided just by how quickly and courteous I am to them. In the end, they more often leave positive feedback just because of as in their words "the excellent customer service" they received.
The Following User Says Thank You to Recherché For This Useful Post:
ovidiu (08-28-2011)
Old 08-28-2011
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Agreed. Same here. Top notch customer service is a must. Many customers are jumpy buying online versus in the store. Please reference this post in the exec area for how not to treat customers.