Mistake in ending auction - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 07-19-2011

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 74%
Default Mistake in ending auction

I am such a silly person ..
I listed an iPhone 4 on eBay about 45 minutes ago. Then I decide to add a buy now price and made such a stupid mistake in actually ending the item - not realizing a bid has been made of £1.30.
Now obviously this was a mistake. I am not ending an item for THAT price half an hour after listing it.
Now I send a request for cancellation to the highest bidder and also explained the mistake and he denied it a couple of minutes later.
So I sent him an e-mail explaining again and he says he wants the phone.
Now, do I have to sell it to him for £1.30? (he has not paid yet)
What can happen if I don't .. which i clearly won't .. that would be crazy.
But what are the consequences for me in this case?

The 'highest bidder' just paid the £1.30 and I refunded the money - hope I have not made things worse.

Last edited by swiss61; 07-19-2011 at 09:44 PM. Reason: added info
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-19-2011
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 91%

All I can say is file for the cancellation of transaction and hope he clicks okay on it. For that much money I would eat the neg and just explain my case on the follow up. Unless you can talk him into accepting what happened you might be out of luck.

Someone on here might have a better way but other than talking them into the cancelled transaction I have no idea.

Last edited by TGMT²; 07-20-2011 at 12:24 AM. Reason: unnecessary quoting
Old 07-19-2011
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 91%

Maybe call ebay and explain the situation to them? I think I would try that and see if you can avoid the neg and bad dsr ratings. Cant hurt.

Last edited by TGMT²; 07-20-2011 at 12:25 AM. Reason: unnecessary quoting
Old 07-20-2011
Threadstarter  

I sent request for cancellation and he denied.
Sent e-mail explaining and he said he wants the phone.
Refunded him the money. Sent eBay a mail too.
Just scared off bad feedback ..
Old 07-20-2011
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 86%

You really don't have any choices here. If the buyer leaves a negative feedback, then there's nothing you can do to get it removed. Learn from your mistakes and never make them again in the future.
Old 07-20-2011

Longevity: 78%

You could be hit three times with this I am afraid and it is time to use an alternative account for a year if they do the first one.

The next thing they can do is complain to ebay, item not received, which is one strike, I think lasts about a year on your dashboard. Two of these on a small account can cause problems and even shut it down.
Then they leave you negative feedback
And ding your DSRs

You could try talking to ebay, you never know. Just don't hold your breath.
Old 07-20-2011

Longevity: 76%

Your buyer sounds like a not very understanding person. As you have already emailed to explain and the buyer has not accepted to cancel transaction, I think the buyer will leave you bad feedback.

As someone mentioned, maybe call ebay to explain - you have nothing to loose now. Dont send the phone for that price take a hit if it comes down to it and next time try not to be so trigger happy with the mouse button!
Old 07-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alps_a somewhatlegend View Post
Your buyer sounds like a not very understanding person. As you have already emailed to explain and the buyer has not accepted to cancel transaction, I think the buyer will leave you bad feedback.

As someone mentioned, maybe call ebay to explain - you have nothing to loose now. Dont send the phone for that price take a hit if it comes down to it and next time try not to be so trigger happy with the mouse button!
I don't blame the buyer for not being understanding! I know if i had any chance at all to get a iphone for £1.30 i would take it. He's just trying to get lucky :P
Old 07-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by teenageebayer View Post
I don't blame the buyer for not being understanding! I know if i had any chance at all to get a iphone for £1.30 i would take it. He's just trying to get lucky :P
But the seller told the buyer that a mistake was made in the advert beforehand. That buyer must be a right f**king pr**k if they think you would actually send the product for that price and clearly they are a time wasting idiot.

Didn't you as a seller have the opportunity to cancel bids from buyers during your listing? I know I have cancelled many bidders from my auctions in the past on zero feedback buyers as they looked like time wasters.

All you needed to do was cancel his bids, then close the auction and then relist with the BIN price and there would be no problem what so ever with eBay and the buyer. Remember, it is your listing and if you wanted to cancel the bids, that is up to you and you alone. Nothing to do with the buyer.
The Following User Says Thank You to eBay King For This Useful Post:
swiss61 (07-20-2011)
Old 07-20-2011

Sounds like you got one of those moronic buyers that we all encounter from time to time.

Just send them an email and be so sickly sweet and pleasant, and maybe they'll hold off leaving a negative. I mean do they honestly expect you to send an iPhone 4 for £1.30?!
Old 07-20-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Analysis = likely a negative no matter what you do. Boost your feedback with other sales to push it off of the page and move on with your account(s).
Old 07-20-2011
Threadstarter  

Default didn't know ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBay King View Post
But the seller told the buyer that a mistake was made in the advert beforehand. That buyer must be a right f**king pr**k if they think you would actually send the product for that price and clearly they are a time wasting idiot.

Didn't you as a seller have the opportunity to cancel bids from buyers during your listing? I know I have cancelled many bidders from my auctions in the past on zero feedback buyers as they looked like time wasters.

All you needed to do was cancel his bids, then close the auction and then relist with the BIN price and there would be no problem what so ever with eBay and the buyer. Remember, it is your listing and if you wanted to cancel the bids, that is up to you and you alone. Nothing to do with the buyer.
I had no idea you could cancel bids .. shows how little I know .. eh?!!
|I had bidders with no feedback, bidders that opened an account with eBay the day the listing ended and most of them ended up NOT paying ..
Even when I write that I do not accept new bidders with no feedback (for certain items) they still bid on it .. so for any other time I know what to do now ..
Old 07-20-2011
Executive [VIP]

Time and time again, I would have to say that eb ay is not a platform to do things without informing yourself =)
Old 07-20-2011
Threadstarter  

I have contacted eBay and they said as long as I refunded the buyer the £1.30 they can't open a dispute as that would otherwise cause a second (duplicate) refund and the system stops that .. well, that I was NOT worried about anyway.
I am more worried about the feedback as I have one bad feedback already last year cos of a buyer who left back feedback after buying a game on Monday and not receiving it on Tuesday (????). eBay back then said if he does not take the feed back back himself they can't do anything .. so anyone can leave back feedback for any old reason ..
But anyway, I'll try and send another message asking to understand and explain maybe once more and hope for the best ..
I don't think with this buyer I will be lucky but who knows ..
Had an e-mail of him saying .. 'I won .. ha ha ha' ..
Old 07-20-2011

Been a while since I cancelled an item but you used to be able to cancel the bids when you cancelled the auction. Does that not happen now?

Sounds like the same sort of thing with a prat that was on ebid. They are going to every forum they can find complaining how they were ripped off, as a seller would not send out an item after he made a mistake like this on ebid. I think that was over a mobile phone also.

The only difference on there ebid just wiped the negatives off each of their accounts, but where ebay is concerned you will probably get the standard buyer is always right message, but it still may be worth trying it out.

Chopped most of this as he got a result from ebay just watch out they do not pay again and go direct to ebay afterward.

I won .. ha ha ha' ..

What a screwbag add his details to http://badbuyerlist.org/ and then to the facebook one and then get anyone you know with an ebay account to send them a message saying I have added you to my block bidder list, because you are a twat

Last edited by isitworththestress; 07-20-2011 at 03:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to isitworththestress For This Useful Post:
swiss61 (07-20-2011)
Old 07-20-2011
Executive [VIP]

Boost your sales with lower stuff for feedback.
The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
swiss61 (07-20-2011)
Old 07-20-2011

Feedback only lasts a certain length of time have you not got other accounts ready to move to, and let this one cool off for a while?

It just sounds like you are walking the edge of a razorblade with this account.
Old 07-20-2011
Threadstarter  

Default other account

Quote:
Originally Posted by isitworththestress View Post
Feedback only lasts a certain length of time have you not got other accounts ready to move to, and let this one cool off for a while?

It just sounds like you are walking the edge of a razorblade with this account.
I have actually yesterday after the episode with this 'ending auction by mistake' I registered an new account with my middle name .. and also a PayPal account but not sure what to do with my bank account as it would be the same. Might need to open an account with another bank or use a prepaid Debit card.
Old 07-20-2011

Well you're in the right place to start learning about that, but I would suggest having several accounts open as back up, as the temperMENTAL buyer and ebay seem to go hand in hand.

All it takes is another postal strike or some other disaster and they just do not realize it is not your fault.
The Following User Says Thank You to isitworththestress For This Useful Post:
swiss61 (07-20-2011)
Old 07-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss61 View Post

Cool then give him the phone

Actually what I would do is set him up. Lead him into leaving a feedback in violation of ebays feedback polcies so you can have it removed. I mean he is surely gonna leave you bad feedback, especially with the comment "I won ha ha" that is actually good he is so cocky and spiteful.

Here is a copy of their policies and which one I think you should lead him into by replying to his desire, in that specific pm above, to buy your iphone

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...-comments.html

We don't allow Feedback comments that contain:
• Links or scripts

• References to eBay or PayPal investigations

• Negative statements left for a buyer that conflict with the positive rating

• Personally identifying information about another member, including real name, address, phone number, or email address

• Political, religious, or social commentary rather than a genuine comment about the transaction

Comments, replies, or follow-ups that reference a separate transaction

• Profane, vulgar, obscene, or racist language, or adult material

Notice the one underlined above. He has set it up so you can relist the item for him at a special low price (though he won't think it is low) he will then complain about you jacking up the price which is in reference to a seperate transaction. But you won't be allowing him to bid anyhow, and he won't want to bid despite you anyhow. Because you will be pushing him into bidding on your new iphone. I will explain in the next post. Again, this is just what i would do, I am no expert. Others may have better advice
The Following User Says Thank You to Melissa1971 For This Useful Post:
swiss61 (07-20-2011)
Old 07-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss61 View Post
I apoligize if I mistakingly read your buyer said "HA HA I won" maybe that's another post but it doesn't matter. Here's an example reply I would send him to his pm wanting to buy my iphone

Hello (insert name)

I am elated you want to buy my iphone. A listing has been created just for you and it is waiting for your bid. Again, I purposely listed it FOR you at a special low price. Ebay is only as honest as it's members and thus your word here, which I assume is very important to you would stand

I anticipate seeing your sale purchasing my iphone very soon. Again, it is listed at a very low price just for you and is a short duration just for you. It will be shipped promptly, promise. A man is only as good as his word, integrity is so important between anonymous traders on ebay.

Thanks for your business.

Blessings,
(insert your name)

Above pm reply is meant to be sugary sweet and frickin annoying. Jack the price up, put a buy it now then know he probably won't bid. Why? Because you have told him to do so. He won't bid likely because you want him to.
BUT just in case, cover yourself.
First and most important, go block him on your blocked buyer list. Secondly to ensure he cannot bid go to buyer restrictions. Ensure where it says a number choice of how many times the same buyer can bid on your item it reads only one (within a week or ten days, I've forgotten) you want him not to be able to bid again (though he can't if you correctly put him on your blocked list). if he is from Alaska or Hawaii, block those states from buying from you for a while, until the tide settles. Also add other countries and especially PO Boxes. Scammers use them

After he leaves you bad feedback complaining you cancelled the order and jacked up the price ( referencing a seperate transaction violating Ebays feedback policy) then reply to it. You are alloted 80 characters so just put something like "Created a special listing just for you, now you leave bad fb???
this is truthful feedback, reiterating that he is referencing a seperate transaction and thus, so are you. Now you can request Ebay remove it by including their Ebay feedback Pollcies (a must) and the exact policy the buyer is in violation of. What I would do... for whatever it is worth, a penny maybe Good luck to you, sorry this happened
Old 07-20-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by isitworththestress View Post

I won .. ha ha ha' ..

What a screwbag add his details to Bad Buyer List - online fraud buyer, ebay blacklist sharing and then to the facebook one and then get anyone you know with an ebay account to send them a message saying I have added you to my block bidder list, because you are a twat
Thanks for that .. have not heard of that site before and will go on there to do exactly what you suggested ...
I am learning more and more here through this forum and you lovely people.