How to deal with return? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 10-24-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 79%
Default How to deal with return?

I recently sold a mobile phone (unlocked and refurbished, with a slight blemish) on eBay, making sure to describe the item properly.

Anyway, the buyer has (very politely) asked if she can return it for a refund since she can't get a signal on her network and she's been trying for almost a week to get one.

She has 135 feedbacks, all positive (but all as a buyer, so it doesn't really mean anything).

So is there anything I should do to protect myself here? I think she's probably genuine, but I recently had a run-in with a partial refund scammer and discovered that PayPal always side with the buyer, regardless of the facts.

So what should I do?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 10-24-2010

Longevity: 79%

You probably should simply let her return it for a refund. If she has been responsible as a buyer before (you said you looked at her feedbacks as a buyer; you can also look at the feedback she left for sellers), she's likely honestly having problems with the phone.
I'd take it back and resell it. Much simpler than dealing with a disatisfied customer.
Old 10-24-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 82%
Send a message via MSN to teedon Send a message via Skype™ to teedon

Yes,i also think you should refund her partly,as the basic thing for use a phone,that is you can use it at least,but now the phone have signal problem,so it is meaning she can not use it.But you may contact her to cover some shipping cost ,i think she will accept your advise ,if not refund her full payment.And do not even this phone until you fix it well.
Old 10-25-2010

Longevity: 86%

I personally would never do a partial refund for any of my items I sell. I always offer them the same they would get if they were to make a paypal claim......return it and upon receipt you will get a FULL refund, the end.
The Following User Says Thank You to needhelpplease For This Useful Post:
pod (10-25-2010)
Old 10-25-2010

Longevity: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by needhelpplease View Post
I personally would never do a partial refund for any of my items I sell. I always offer them the same they would get if they were to make a paypal claim......return it and upon receipt you will get a FULL refund, the end.
Basically this, unless they want like $5 from a $200 purchase...
Old 10-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrad View Post
Basically this, unless they want like $5 from a $200 purchase...
Nope, not from me. I handle my business like a business....you dont go to Wal-mart and say "I think I paid to much for this gadget, but I will keep it if you give me $5"......give me back my item and I will give you back your money, just that simple.
Old 10-26-2010

Longevity: 78%

Quote:
Nope, not from me. I handle my business like a business....you dont go to Wal-mart and say "I think I paid to much for this gadget, but I will keep it if you give me $5"......give me back my item and I will give you back your money, just that simple.
Well I understand what you're saying...For me it's just that my profit margin is high enough to allow a few bucks here and there, if it was smaller I definitely would be on the same boat as you though
Old 10-26-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
I admit I have caved for a few bucks to just have the rat go away. If they want a discount on shipping or whatever. But I also agree with you 100%. Most of the time I just say send it back. You cant tell me in the same sentence you are not happy but will keep it for 20% off...

I will never decline, or try to decline a return. If you are not happy send it back and I will refund 100%. But if you don't like it, how does a discount make you like it? Just weasels looking for extra deals. Cant count how many times I have declined a discount and they still kept item.... But its a thin ice area to be certain. The kind of weasel that fishes for a discount is the same weasel that will cause you grief if they dont get it.
The Following User Says Thank You to pod For This Useful Post:
needhelpplease (10-26-2010)
Old 10-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrad View Post
Well I understand what you're saying...For me it's just that my profit margin is high enough to allow a few bucks here and there, if it was smaller I definitely would be on the same boat as you though
Nope, has nothing to do with profit margin. Has to do with the point. Now I dont rely on ebay as my only income at all, so if you are going to try and weasle me out of a few bucks you might as well send it back and I will give you a full refund and get the same amount from someone else who would appreciate doing business honestly. I just dont give in at all to thieves. Thankfully it is a RARE RARE occasion to get these types of people, but nonetheless, I am the right one to try that with.

But I guess I am that way because I can be...there are only 4 other sellers who sell the same types of products I do and 2 of them sell ⊗⊗⊗⊗ and get taken down and come back up all the time.....Since I have had this stealth for well over a year now (thanks to lakeman especially), I have been lucky to gain clientle and trust and people that purchase from me weekly. So I have the attitude like "send it back, I will happily return your money and good luck finding a legitimate one that you can use from someone else."

Last edited by needhelpplease; 10-26-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-26-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Thankfully it is a RARE RARE occasion
It is. Its hard to remember that when some jackass pulls their crap. But it is a small number.

Quote:
But I guess I am that way because I can be
Thats a major key factor. If the account is a big deal, its best not to risk it over pride or a few bucks. It hurts more than money to get bent over. But if $20 saves a good [and important] money maker, you gotta bend over. And again, its rare, so screw it

Each case is always going to be different. And in each case you have to decide whats best for your income in the long run