Wall Street Rumors say eBay is About to be Sold - Page 2 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 05-26-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 73%
Default Re: Wall Street Rumors say eBay is About to be Sold

Rumors! LOL!

The truth is...

Somebody's always trying to buy somebody else these days.

Badly run companies are the most popular targets for takeovers, and I think we'll all agree EB is a VERY badly run company.
The Following User Says Thank You to dallis For This Useful Post:
kittylove (05-27-2015)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-26-2015
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

The reason for the PayPal split was Carl Ichan, an activist investor. He specializes in buying companies and breaking them up, making a profit by selling off the pieces. But recently, he just buys 5% of a company and makes threats. eBay caved, but to be fair, a lot of other investors were saying the same thing, that they would be worth more as two separate companies.

There really is nothing sinister in any of this - it is all about money, plain and simple. If eBay gets an offer that makes sense, they will take it. If not, then a buyout won't happen.
Old 05-26-2015
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 68%

If Ebay is sold, it is so large and prolific that it will have to pass regulatory approval. I have doubts that some of these large E-commerce companies like Google, Yahoo, & Alibaba would survive antitrust scrutiny.

My money, if ebay is really sold, is on private equity. I would not be surprised it this was another joint Berkshire Hathaway/3G capital venture. But Jeff is right about one thing: if they do go that route there will be some significant changes that probably won't benefit us.
Old 05-26-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremogul888 View Post
If Ebay is sold, it is so large and prolific that it will have to pass regulatory approval. I have doubts that some of these large E-commerce companies like Google, Yahoo, & Alibaba would survive antitrust scrutiny.

My money, if ebay is really sold, is on private equity. I would not be surprised it this was another joint Berkshire Hathaway/3G capital venture. But Jeff is right about one thing: if they do go that route there will be some significant changes that probably won't benefit us.
Really? And how did you become an expert on such matters?

Did you here Comcast recently purchased Time Warner Cable?

eBay will be sold if it makes sense to the shareholders/owners.

Last edited by GhostOfAmazon; 05-27-2015 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-27-2015
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 68%

You make it too easy, GhostofAmazon. The Comcast acquisition of Time Warner never happened. It failed for the exact reasons I stated above. The DOJ sued Comcast for antitrust violations blocking the merger and Comcast abandoned it as a result. Thank you for thinking you were contradicting my reasoning but instead providing one of the best case studies to back up my point.

Also learn the difference between the words hear and here. Then learn that you don't have to quote text that is directly above your text.

Last edited by Futuremogul888; 05-27-2015 at 01:03 AM.
Old 05-27-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremogul888 View Post
You make it too easy, GhostofAmazon. The Comcast acquisition of Time Warner never happened. It failed for the exact reasons I stated above. The DOJ sued Comcast for antitrust violations blocking the merger and Comcast abandoned it as a result. Thank you for thinking you were contradicting my reasoning but instead providing one of the best case studies to back up my point.

Also check learn the difference between the words hear and here. Then learn that you don't have to quote test that is directly above your text.
I stand corrected.

I'll eat my crow now.

My only defense is that I do not trust our government to do the right thing. I'm happy to hear that in at least one example, I was incorrect.
Old 05-27-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%

I just need to know whose @ss were gonna be kissing in order to keep selling on Ebay!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MM78 For This Useful Post:
kittylove (05-27-2015), pencey (05-27-2015)
Old 05-27-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,342 Times in 961 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 76%

Charter made the bid for TWC at $55bn and was approved this week.

Get it together kids.
Old 05-27-2015

Longevity: 55%

Yeap and these rumors came out to light ending 2014 Alibaba group the most likely to buy Ebay! if this happens, some things will change I think ebay become more powerful.
Old 05-27-2015

Longevity: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAmazon View Post
I stand corrected.

I'll eat my crow now.
This is becoming a habit
Old 05-27-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Alibaba buying eBay...great...influx of goods into the market...
Old 05-27-2015

Longevity: 63%

Alibaba buying eBay may not survive regulatory process but I don't see why a Yahoo/eBay merger wouldn't. Think about it... Yahoo/eBay combined wouldn't be dominant in any one thing. At best they'd be a poor #2 to a dominant Google in the search business and a poor #2 to a dominant Amazon in eCommerce business. There would be no risk of a Yahoo/eBay gaining monopoly in any sector of the market.
Old 05-27-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallis View Post
Rumors! LOL!
Yeah, but eBay being bought out by someone with deep pockets who can leverage their still huge user base and fixing the f'ups they've made since 2007 just makes too much sense for it not to happen once it gets separated from Paypal. eBay is sliding vs. Amazon and the gap is growing bigger.
Old 05-27-2015
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 7%
Longevity: 66%

I don't see Alibaba buying eBay. (Sorry for everyone who wants a free market to sell phakes)

Google would be the most logical play but that would be at odds with the PayPal split because they would make Google Wallet a verified payment platform. Maybe Apple to integrate ApplePay. My speculation is that a company will buy it mostly to integrate their own newer payment platform.

Personally I think Yahoo has the best chance of a merger. Both overall are dated and struggling and in need life.

Maybe you get Facebook or Tencent or some dark horse. You never know maybe even a Berkshire Hathaway or something like that. At this point it is all speculation. Once I see some public leaks come out then heat up the speculation.
Old 05-27-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by toml3030 View Post
Alibaba buying eBay may not survive regulatory process but I don't see why a Yahoo/eBay merger wouldn't. Think about it... Yahoo/eBay combined wouldn't be dominant in any one thing. At best they'd be a poor #2 to a dominant Google in the search business and a poor #2 to a dominant Amazon in eCommerce business. There would be no risk of a Yahoo/eBay gaining monopoly in any sector of the market.
Not to mention, Yahoo has been interested in eCommerce for a long time. Many of you probably never heard of it, but Yahoo started its own eBay alternative site in 1998. They actually still run it in Hong Kong, as well as a few other parts of the world, although the western sites closed down in 2007 and 2008. I'm sure they would jump at the opportunity to own the site they tried and failed to emulate.
Old 05-27-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Not to mention, Yahoo has been interested in eCommerce for a long time. Many of you probably never heard of it, but Yahoo started its own eBay alternative site in 1998. They actually still run it in Hong Kong, as well as a few other parts of the world, although the western sites closed down in 2007 and 2008. I'm sure they would jump at the opportunity to own the site they tried and failed to emulate.
Yahoo I think sees eBay similar to them both in need of new life. So I understand the thought process. Like I said before I think the biggest upside to purchasing eBay would be a company that already has a online payment platform that they can integrate into the site. Google Wallet or Apple Pay for example.
Old 05-27-2015

Longevity: 77%

@Volgeltron - and using ApplePay or GoogleWallet, how much heat compared to using PayPal would there be? (I have never used either so cannot comment)
Old 05-27-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callidus View Post
@Volgeltron - and using ApplePay or GoogleWallet, how much heat compared to using PayPal would there be? (I have never used either so cannot comment)
That's the point they aren't huge. Having them as a primary payment option on eBay could be a huge boost to adoption.

Honestly, I have no idea as to how much "heat" there will be. Could be like Amazon Payments for all I know.

I used Google years ago when it was Google Checkout not really in the past 4-5 years. I never had any problems but I used it more for personal bulk orders as a PayPal alternative.
Old 05-27-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callidus View Post
Several reasons this would not be nearly as big of an issue.

1. GoogleWallet only allows checking accounts for payment debits, and has no fees. Never used AP so I cannot comment on that.

2. Part of the debate regarding PayPal was its value----PayPal is BY FAR the most popular online payment website/method. While adding GW or AP as the default payment method to eBay would bolster their popularity, to establish one or the other in marketplace dominance similar to PayPal would take years.

3. eBay was not FORCED to separate itself from PayPal. There was "pressure" but no one had any actual authority to coerce them into doing it. Obviously their board or shareholders or CEO or whomever makes these decisions thinks this is in the long-term best interest of both companies. Perhaps its to sell one or both, or perhaps its simply to allow PayPal to grow without eBay being an anchor. Frankly, this is not information members of this forum are privy to, and we're all simply making wild assumptions that are based on our opinions, not any insider facts.
Old 05-27-2015

Quote:
They actually still run it in Hong Kong, as well as a few other parts of the world, although the western sites closed down in 2007 and 2008. I'm sure they would jump at the opportunity to own the site they tried and failed to emulate.
Yahoo Japan is actually fairly big in eCommerce.
Old 05-27-2015

Longevity: 90%

time to short alibaba and buy ebay stocks
Old 05-27-2015

Longevity: 55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogeltron View Post
I don't see Alibaba buying eBay. (Sorry for everyone who wants a free market to sell phakes)

Google would be the most logical play but that would be at odds with the PayPal split because they would make Google Wallet a verified payment platform.
I'm agree with you, I was thinking again and yes, The last big acquisition from google was Motorola now they have their own phone manufacturer. Ebay/GWallet could be the next!
The Following User Says Thank You to forbizus For This Useful Post:
vogeltron (05-28-2015)