2nd router has same IP - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 05-03-2016
Subscribed [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 46%
Default 2nd router has same IP

Hey everyone I bought a 2nd netgear router which is a different model than my nighthawk, but I am still getting the same ip address on it. I was under the impression that the ip address would be different as suggested in the stealth guide.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-04-2016

Longevity: 65%
Default Re: 2nd router has same IP

Call your ISP and see if they will issue you a new IP address
Old 05-04-2016

Longevity: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thediesel View Post
Hey everyone I bought a 2nd netgear router which is a different model than my nighthawk, but I am still getting the same ip address on it. I was under the impression that the ip address would be different as suggested in the stealth guide.
Google spoof my mac address this will change ur ip
Old 05-04-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

ATT uverse and Fios will never get you a new IP. A few other ISP also.
Who is your service provider?
Old 05-07-2016

Longevity: 73%

All computers, game devices, etc in your home all have the same ip, and if you have two routers they'll both have the same ip as well, because the ip is assigned to the household service, not the device.

The only way to have 2 ip's, as far as I know, is to have two different service providers.

I'm guessing spoofing the ip on one router won't work. I'm guessing it'll just create an ip conflict and your service won't work at all.
Old 05-07-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallis View Post
All computers, game devices, etc in your home all have the same ip, and if you have two routers they'll both have the same ip as well, because the ip is assigned to the household service, not the device.

The only way to have 2 ip's, as far as I know, is to have two different service providers.

I'm guessing spoofing the ip on one router won't work. I'm guessing it'll just create an ip conflict and your service won't work at all.
This is true if ATT Uverse, Xfinity and Fios but Comcast and others it is not true at all.
Old 05-07-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

@OP, you would need a different IP provider or source - such as modem. A router itself on the same network as another router would have the same IP. But if you have 2 routers on 2 different networks (different IP connections) then you could have different IPs.
Old 05-07-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
@OP, you would need a different IP provider or source - such as modem. A router itself on the same network as another router would have the same IP. But if you have 2 routers on 2 different networks (different IP connections) then you could have different IPs.
Garbage post. Totally inaccurate in almost every way.
Old 05-07-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
Garbage post. Totally inaccurate in almost every way.
How is it inaccurate? If OP is only on one network - let's say ISP ABC - but uses 2 routers that are on the SAME network...both routers will have the same IP no?

He needs 2 different ISP providers - ISP ABC and ISP DEF - and 2 routers, 1 for each network.

If I wasn't clear about that, apologies
Old 05-07-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

La
La
La
La
La

Saturday night fever

Old 05-07-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
How is it inaccurate? If OP is only on one network - let's say ISP ABC - but uses 2 routers that are on the SAME network...both routers will have the same IP no?

He needs 2 different ISP providers - ISP ABC and ISP DEF - and 2 routers, 1 for each network.

If I wasn't clear about that, apologies
I dont desire to educate you on routers but here we go. Each router pulls it's own IP on many services. Hence, swapping routers. Hence spoofing mac addresses.

You can not piggyback routers. They will pull the same IP. Meaning run an ethernet cable off one router to another. You have to unplug the first router and plug in the other.

A modem is not a means to connecting to the internet. A modem is a required piece of equipment before the router. Many fiber services such as ATT Uverse, Xifinity and Fio are a all in one router/modem and only have one IP. The only consistent way of changing these types of services IP is to call in and have them reset the "Box"
The Following User Says Thank You to yankee For This Useful Post:
Play (05-08-2016)
Old 05-07-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Unless you made specific arrangements for a 2nd method of accessing the interent, the IP wpuld be the same.

At this point the router is using the same means of internet access.
Old 05-07-2016
Executive [VIP]

srot, it is perfectly OK not to know something. Really, it is perfectly ok. I suggest that when you dont know something, don't say anything at all.

It is exceedingly annoying to read bad advise, wrong information or archaic information from you. You have more posts than any other member by several thousands. A LOT of nebies will think you know what you are talk about unlike us who have been around for a while. They could easily take your horrendous information and cause them financial loss and headaches. A LOT of these nebies and experienced members alike can not afford that.

Consider other people when you post. I strongly suggest that when you don't know something to just stop your fingers altogether from typing and move on.

Old 05-07-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
I dont desire to educate you on routers but here we go. Each router pulls it's own IP on many services. Hence, swapping routers. Hence spoofing mac addresses.

You can not piggyback routers. They will pull the same IP. Meaning run an ethernet cable off one router to another. You have to unplug the first router and plug in the other.

A modem is not a means to connecting to the internet. A modem is a required piece of equipment before the router. Many fiber services such as ATT Uverse, Xifinity and Fio are a all in one router/modem and only have one IP. The only consistent way of changing these types of services IP is to call in and have them reset the "Box"
Exactly - and for the OP, the netgear router would not be his access point for IP - he would likely have a separate ISP provided (possibly) box. The Netgear router is just a router....not router/modem.
Old 05-07-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
srot, it is perfectly OK not to know something. Really, it is perfectly ok. I suggest that when you dont know something, don't say anything at all.

It is exceedingly annoying to read bad advise, wrong information or archaic information from you. You have more posts than any other member by several thousands. A LOT of nebies will think you know what you are talk about unlike us who have been around for a while. They could easily take your horrendous information and cause them financial loss and headaches. A LOT of these nebies and experienced members alike can not afford that.

Consider other people when you post. I strongly suggest that when you don't know something to just stop your fingers altogether from typing and move on.

srot will consider this but all good - duly noted.
The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
yankee (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%

Quote:
A Router Swap will usually NOT be enough, You need to do a "Modem Swap", that will or might be better to get a new IP. A Router simply allows you to have multiple devices on 1 Internet Connection.
The Following User Says Thank You to MM78 For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (05-07-2016)
Old 05-08-2016

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

Piggy bank with routers - correct will not change IP, as the first router connected to modem will pass its IP on to others. Each router doesn't get its own IP in such case.

Modem swap - tends to be the case with certain providers/services, but also with modem/router combined devices where you cannot modify mac address.

OP, temporary solutions - use dongle, use VPN (24vc) etc.

Long term solution - figure out your network setup. Depending on your service, can you swap out the ISP provided modem for another brand?
The Following User Says Thank You to Play For This Useful Post:
e2free (05-08-2016)
Old 05-08-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play View Post
Piggy bank with routers - correct will not change IP, as the first router connected to modem will pass its IP on to others. Each router doesn't get its own IP in such case.

Modem swap - tends to be the case with certain providers/services, but also with modem/router combined devices where you cannot modify mac address.

OP, temporary solutions - use dongle, use VPN (24vc) etc.

Long term solution - figure out your network setup. Depending on your service, can you swap out the ISP provided modem for another brand?
Agree 100%, hope realdeals doesn't get mad! Hah...jk.
The Following User Says Thank You to MM78 For This Useful Post:
Play (05-08-2016)
Old 05-09-2016
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 46%

As a ex cable tv and sat installer i`ll share some info like above.

Quote:
Example is based on uk isp`s
ADSL aka phone line broadband gives you a new ip each time you "dial in" and can change itself by dropping off/ disconnecting'
You can daisy chain modems/routers and will still have the SAME ip on all. Like a network switch.Daisy chain is at modem/router ports 1,2,3 to equipment and port 4 to another router, in that router u tell it not to use dns and set it from 1.1 or 1.2 or 0.1 to something mid range like 55 but as linked to main. Same ip . Even if 48 routers or switch, you cant change the main IP unless using a VPN etc.

now cable modems, 99.9% on virgin in the uk are Static IP`s, but there is a small trick.
Let`s say your using all 4 ports on back and have a ip off 88.36.15.36
Point you modem into MODEM only mode and only port 1 is in use. This will normally give you a new ip. Do what you need to do and then switch it back allowing after the reboot ports 1-4 to work and prob get old ip of 88.36.15.36 back.

They used to say turning off a cable router used to change ip. It does`nt. I tried 24 hours, 48 hours and the same

true way for ip change is VPN
Old 05-09-2016

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwjames View Post
As a ex cable tv and sat installer i`ll share some info like above.

ADSL aka phone line broadband gives you a new ip each time you "dial in" and can change itself by dropping off/ disconnecting'
You can daisy chain modems/routers and will still have the SAME ip on all. Like a network switch.Daisy chain is at modem/router ports 1,2,3 to equipment and port 4 to another router, in that router u tell it not to use dns and set it from 1.1 or 1.2 or 0.1 to something mid range like 55 but as linked to main. Same ip . Even if 48 routers or switch, you cant change the main IP unless using a VPN etc.

now cable modems, 99.9% on virgin in the uk are Static IP`s, but there is a small trick.
Let`s say your using all 4 ports on back and have a ip off 88.36.15.36
Point you modem into MODEM only mode and only port 1 is in use. This will normally give you a new ip. Do what you need to do and then switch it back allowing after the reboot ports 1-4 to work and prob get old ip of 88.36.15.36 back.
You seem like a (ex?) virgin media engineer ... I had that service a decade ago, and was informed the mac address on the modem is what tells their system you should be getting so and so speed/service etc., so they rely a lot on this mac. I dont know if that's changed. But nice to know there is a way around it.