Changing your IP address - Page 3 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > eBay Tracking

eBay Tracking General discussions on eBay tracking, account linking, IP address, user accounts and more.

Old 08-18-2007

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 96%
Lightbulb Changing IP on Charter Surfboard Modem on a Mac

Hello,

This is what has been working for me; perhaps all of these steps are not necessary:

1. Disconnect the modem FOR SEVERAL HOURS. Disconnect the cable, power and firewire line.

2. Pull up network in your System Prefrences under TCP/IP, write down the current IP address, change form "Using DHCP" to "Using DHCP with manual address" Change the last number to something else, click "Apply Now."

3. Re-hook up modem, push reset button on the modem (large off/on button).

4. Change Network back to "Using DHCP" click "Renew DHCP Lease" and then "Apply Now". Check to see if the ip address has changed.

This seems to work about 70% of the time for me. Sometimes the IP address comes up the same. Someone let me know if one of these steps is not necessary.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-20-2007

Default ip address and wireless router

i have been having a problem getting my isp to change my ip address. one thing i noted today was when i checked the one on my laptop, which is on a wireless router the ip address was much different. will that work? this hole time i have been concentrating on the ip address on my main computer. seems like the ip on the laptop would be the same or somehow linked to the other ip address. any info?

p.s.

how can i check the avs on a new ccard?
Old 08-20-2007

Hi, you need to start Internet explorer, then log into your router page, (example NETGEAR Support Home Page)
Then go in the settings and change the router internet port MAC address last digit up or down by one value.
Then update the change and log out and close the webpage.
Then switch off the computer, modem and router.
Then restart the modem - router then computer.
You should be connected on the web with a new IP address.
Old 08-20-2007

I'm a little confused.
Isn't the IP address set by the modem? And then perhaps if you use a router it is set by that?
If either of these statements are true how could you have a different IP on the laptop from the one on the main computer?
Old 08-20-2007

Longevity: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFacedBoy View Post
I'm a little confused.
Isn't the IP address set by the modem? And then perhaps if you use a router it is set by that?
If either of these statements are true how could you have a different IP on the laptop from the one on the main computer?
It is odd, but at my house I get a different IP based on the network card, not the cable modem. So if I use my router I get one IP. If I use my ethernet port on my desktop I get a different one. And if I use the ethernet port on my laptop I get a totally different IP. I can't really explain it, but it does work.
Old 08-21-2007
Administrator

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 1%
Longevity: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopster72 View Post
It is odd, but at my house I get a different IP based on the network card, not the cable modem. So if I use my router I get one IP. If I use my ethernet port on my desktop I get a different one. And if I use the ethernet port on my laptop I get a totally different IP. I can't really explain it, but it does work.
Maybe it resets each time you connect in a different way.

A router uses the same IP address for every computer connected to it. A router basically splits the Ip address to be shared.
Old 08-21-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspkin View Post
I thought that too. Except the IP always stays the same for each network card. It only changes if I don't use that network card for a few days. My new Ebay account has kept the same IP since I created it over 3 weeks ago. I unplug it every day and plug i my router so my wife can use her laptop. She has her own IP and I have mine. The other 4 ethernet ports in the house all have their own IP too (when plugged in). And not the 192.168, but the real thing. It defies logic.
Old 08-21-2007

Default really strange

it's really strange. what ever i try to do to the main computer the ip stays the same. on the laptop though it is totally different. none of the numbers match or are even similar. i hope it works and i will be able to use the laptop for ebaying. my isp will not change my ip address and early cancellation is going to cost $300! darn dirty satellite isp mo fo's
Old 08-21-2007

My laptop ip # is different than my ip for the my internet. My understanding is that the IP that others see is the IP of your cable box. The IP of the wireless is basically so that a local server can identify my computer. In other words, if you are messing around, your boss can tell which computer it came from.
Old 08-21-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaa1 View Post
My laptop ip # is different than my ip for the my internet. My understanding is that the IP that others see is the IP of your cable box. The IP of the wireless is basically so that a local server can identify my computer. In other words, if you are messing around, your boss can tell which computer it came from.

when i go to, for example, aspkin's ip website IP Burger - What is my IP Address? Find Your IP Address!, i run the test on my home computer and i get one ip address. i then go to my laptop do the same thing, and i get a totally different ip address. as far as i know the ip that shows up at that website is the one other's (ebay) see, right?
Old 08-21-2007
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike1 View Post
it's really strange. what ever i try to do to the main computer the ip stays the same. on the laptop though it is totally different. none of the numbers match or are even similar. i hope it works and i will be able to use the laptop for ebaying. my isp will not change my ip address and early cancellation is going to cost $300! darn dirty satellite isp mo fo's
Ouch! I used to have a job where I had to convince people from canceling their satellite ISP, the cancellation fee was usually the keeper. But then again there's that 100+ monthly fee. I was able to switch a lot of people to DSL and Cable though. Satellite services are nothing compared to Cable.
Old 08-21-2007
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike1 View Post
when i go to, for example, aspkin's ip website IP Burger - What is my IP Address? Find Your IP Address!, i run the test on my home computer and i get one ip address. i then go to my laptop do the same thing, and i get a totally different ip address. as far as i know the ip that shows up at that website is the one other's (ebay) see, right?

Correct -
Old 08-21-2007

Quote:
Ouch! I used to have a job where I had to convince people from canceling their satellite ISP, the cancellation fee was usually the keeper. But then again there's that 100+ monthly fee. I was able to switch a lot of people to DSL and Cable though. Satellite services are nothing compared to Cable.
oh i wish i could get cable or dsl out where i live but i can't. have to go satellite for both t.v. and internet. two dishes on my roof!

ok aspkin. since the ip address on my laptop is coming up different i think i will be able to use the laptop through the router with my new ebay account (once i get the new account set up). i just hope they can't look past my router and link me to the old ip address.
Old 08-21-2007

Quote:

A router uses the same IP address for every computer connected to it. A router basically splits the Ip address to be shared.

if it splits the ip address would both ip's be similar in some way that ebay can catch on to?
Old 08-22-2007

Longevity: 99%
Default IP address I dont...

I dont think Ebay can ban someone for the IP address, well not really. This is what im thinking what if my cousins, nephew, in minnesota has the same IP address as mine in the past? would he get banned? I dont thinks at least so its possible they catch you other ways than just pure IP address its a combo of other things correct?
Old 08-22-2007
Executive [VIP]

From my experience its a login of the same ip twice in a row. then you get banned. If its once your fine still at risk. But log into the same account again with that ip then bam. This is my experience opinion.
Old 08-22-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2ruff4u View Post
From my experience its a login of the same ip twice in a row. then you get banned. If its once your fine still at risk. But log into the same account again with that ip then bam. This is my experience opinion.
Twice in a row or just twice.
I would think that if there is a pattern of 2 accts consistantly logging in from a particular IP and one acct gets booted the other one would be on thin ice, at leat for a while.
Old 08-22-2007
Banned

Ebay is weird. I have even logged into my 2 accounts on same IP within seconds of each one by accident to bid and win one of my auctions to test my checkout When I found out what I've done I was nervous for 2 days.

And stupid Ebay never caught that. So i said what the hell, I might as well leave feedback
Old 08-22-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hanson View Post
Ebay is weird. I have even logged into my 2 accounts on same IP within seconds of each one by accident to bid and win one of my auctions to test my checkout When I found out what I've done I was nervous for 2 days.

And stupid Ebay never caught that. So i said what the hell, I might as well leave feedback
exactly chris thats how I was in fact I log into my work computer with the same IP address, but different name in the past and they never banned me its not till at home I log in and get banned for some odd reason I think it has to do with multiple sources. I know I put my real home address on my ebay, but ⊗⊗⊗⊗ name which I should have not done maybe they caught me then it took them 4 months though.
Old 08-22-2007

i just downloaded aol 9.0 and did an ip check. totally different from any one that has come up so far.
Old 08-23-2007

beware I used 2 different laptops at the library an both got trashed (they ultimately use the same isp
Old 08-26-2007

Thumbs up IP Disguise

You guys might like this site:

IP Disguise - Hide Your Online Surfing

Also, on turning the cable modem off for a while, I think Charter may change at midnight and noon... I don't know how to check this but when I disconnected my cable modem at 11:45 and reconnected at 1:00 my IP had changed.