Package Held in Customs, Getting Nervous - Page 3 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > WallStreetBets > Dropshipping & Wholesale Suppliers > Shipping Talk

Shipping Talk General discussions on shipping, customs, tracking, USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL, EMS, etc.

Old 07-08-2011
Banned

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfortuantemistake View Post
Also, since having one seized, I have received others at the same address. Just because one gets taken doesn't mean you won't receive any future pacakges.
But, isn't it true that if they are holding one they will hold others? I have 3 being held right now that arrived within the same 3 days. I'm wondering when I should ditch these shipments, file a dispute with my credit card, and reorder under a new address at the UPS store?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-08-2011

Longevity: 75%
Send a message via ICQ to xdirc Send a message via AIM to xdirc Send a message via MSN to xdirc Send a message via Yahoo to xdirc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerblast View Post
But, isn't it true that if they are holding one they will hold others? I have 3 being held right now that arrived within the same 3 days. I'm wondering when I should ditch these shipments, file a dispute with my credit card, and reorder under a new address at the UPS store?
No, it is not true. I had a package last week that US Customs seized. I received 2 more the same week. All through DHL.
Old 07-08-2011

Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdirc View Post
No, it is not true. I had a package last week that US Customs seized. I received 2 more the same week. All through DHL.
I ordered for first time in at least 2 months and had 2 packages that made it right through DHL/Customs in Cincinnati and arrived at the closest DHL facility ready to be put on the truck (literally a couple of hours from arriving at my door) and I go online to check the tracking and it says"contact DHL" both were seized, both were sent to different addresses, even different cities.

Want to get some more inventory, but am running out of addresses.
Does DHL deliver to UPS Store PO boxes? What is UPS policy with a package that is 10 times bigger than the actual box?
Old 07-08-2011

Send a message via ICQ to xdirc Send a message via AIM to xdirc Send a message via MSN to xdirc Send a message via Yahoo to xdirc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFacedBoy View Post
I ordered for first time in at least 2 months and had 2 packages that made it right through DHL/Customs in Cincinnati and arrived at the closest DHL facility ready to be put on the truck (literally a couple of hours from arriving at my door) and I go online to check the tracking and it says"contact DHL" both were seized, both were sent to different addresses, even different cities.

Want to get some more inventory, but am running out of addresses.
Does DHL deliver to UPS Store PO boxes? What is UPS policy with a package that is 10 times bigger than the actual box?

Would you happen to be in Florida? Ive talked to a couple different people where this happened last week. Had me wondering if they were doing a sweep. But I dont know, because like I said, I got packages to the same address within the same week. And they all had the US Customs inspection sticker on it. And obviously some of the US Customs people dont even care, because packages are opened, an item inside the box was opened, examined, put back in the box, resealed, and sent to me. Weird.
Old 07-08-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,945 Times in 8,236 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

DHL can deliver to PO box but only a notice will be left - you will have to go to the counter to pick up manually.
The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
Univerzal (04-15-2013)
Old 07-08-2011

Quote:
Would you happen to be in Florida? Ive talked to a couple different people where this happened last week. Had me wondering if they were doing a sweep. But I dont know, because like I said, I got packages to the same address within the same week. And they all had the US Customs inspection sticker on it. And obviously some of the US Customs people dont even care, because packages are opened, an item inside the box was opened, examined, put back in the box, resealed, and sent to me. Weird.
Upper midwest
Really bummed me out because even w/ the DHL shipping the cost per item was still less and and arrived about 5 days after the order was placed.
Shipment came out of Hong Kong which I thought I read somewhere was safer...maybe I'm wrong
I have had good service from this seller in the past. They sent out a second shipment to a different address that was also seized. Finally they refunded about 80% of my money which I thought was fair. Is it safe for me to try and use them again or should I just try to find someone new?

Last edited by DogFacedBoy; 07-08-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
DHL can deliver to PO box but only a notice will be left - you will have to go to the counter to pick up manually.
I'm assuming that you mean the counter at the UPS store and not directly to a DHL facility which in my case is 2 hours away vs. the UPS store which is 5 minutes away
Old 07-09-2011
Banned

Quote:
So all of the packages that you just referenced where DHL? I have only had problems with EMS, never DHL. So, I went and opened up a very expensive mailbox at the UPS store because they will sign for any ems and DHL packages. I used my middle named and split up my last name just to be extra careful. Any thoughts on this? Expert guidance would be incredibly appreciated.
Old 07-09-2011
Banned

Update guys: I just checked the first package, that was ems, and it was released from customs. I'm elated. How is everyone else doing with their seized packages/
Old 07-09-2011

Quote:
Update guys: I just checked the first package, that was ems, and it was released from customs. I'm elated. How is everyone else doing with their seized packages/
In my case both were DHL (I have never had a problem with DHL packages being seized in the past)...
In both cases (different addresses) I received the letter from customs as well so I assume thet are gone for good.

Does anyone know if Cincinnati is the only entry point for DHL? My stuff used to sail right through there in a matter of hours. Now it gets to the DHL warehouse cloest to me and gets seized there.

Is this some sort of new policy?
Old 07-09-2011

Longevity: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbluntz View Post
That's insane, I would of never thought to order that much unless it was split up over a dozen mailboxes. I just had small box less then 10 lbs with only 50 pcs of software taken out, I guess I should try DHL, I didn't know that made a difference to customs though.
Yes. Insane. I'm always worried about getting poor quality or defective lots when buying in quantity. I've gotten stuff that was perfect quality the first time and then subsequent orders, your supplier sends horrendous stuff obviously from another vendor. I gamble small.
Old 07-10-2011

A lot of times packages are opened because some of these dumb Chinese suppliers declare items with vague descriptions like "Gift" with a $10 value on a 50 pound box. DHL commercial shipments are supposed to be taxed. Many packages are opened because of vague descriptions and low declared values. U.S import taxes are tiny compared to Europe. Kind of stupid to declare such a low value on a huge shipment.
Old 07-10-2011

Quote:
In my case both were DHL (I have never had a problem with DHL packages being seized in the past)...
In both cases (different addresses) I received the letter from customs as well so I assume thet are gone for good.

Does anyone know if Cincinnati is the only entry point for DHL? My stuff used to sail right through there in a matter of hours. Now it gets to the DHL warehouse cloest to me and gets seized there.

It could be. EMS tracking log is different now since 2 weeks. In NYC, when a package arrived into the country, it used to say "inbound int'l arrival". If it went into customs it would say "inbound into customs" immediately afterwards. If it didn't say "inbound into customs", it was forwarded immediately to your local sorting center without ever getting a thorough customs inspection.

Now it doesn't show "inbound int'l arrival" or "inbound into customs" anymore. It just says "processed through facility"

Last edited by che2009; 07-10-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by che2009 View Post
A lot of times packages are opened because some of these dumb Chinese suppliers declare items with vague descriptions like "Gift" with a $10 value on a 50 pound box. DHL commercial shipments are supposed to be taxed. Many packages are opened because of vague descriptions and low declared values. U.S import taxes are tiny compared to Europe. Kind of stupid to declare such a low value on a huge shipment.
I have often thought the same thing. They will send a couple of boxes, 50# each and declare as gift or educational...c'mon???
Old 07-10-2011
Banned

Quote:
It could be. EMS tracking log is different now since 2 weeks. In NYC, when a package arrived into the country, it used to say "inbound int'l arrival". If it went into customs it would say "inbound into customs" immediately afterwards. If it didn't say "inbound into customs", it was forwarded immediately to your local sorting center without ever getting a thorough customs inspection.

Now it doesn't show "inbound int'l arrival" or "inbound into customs" anymore. It just says "processed through facility"
So based on what you just said, it is easier to get packages through via EMS? To me I have only had issues with EMS and not DHL. As for the Cincinnati question, it depends where you live. I live in the South East, so Cincinnati is my hub. West coast I believe somewhere in Cali, maybe San Fran will be your hub. All of my DHL stuff seems to go through Cincinnati each time with no fail. Also, they open each item and repack it just to check for who knows what. The packers even left a box cutter, open, that was sent through. I'm glad I didn't cut the crap out of myself pulling the boxes out lol!
Old 07-10-2011
Banned

Quote:

Also, I feel like an idiot. I realize from what I have read that just because it was released does not mean that I will receive it. However, in the past when they have been released I have always received them. I have never had issues with DHL and Cincinnati. I have do everything I have read on here in order to get my stuff through. I have gone to smaller shipments etc. These shipments that are being held are incredibly small. It seems my bigger shipments that weigh 5 and 6 times as much are getting through DHL/Cincinnati easier. Maybe it is just an EMS thing?
Old 07-10-2011

I have not had problems with DHL in Cincinnati either.
The two packages that I had seized were at the DHL distribution center in my state, literally within an hour or so of being put on the truck and delivered to my door 2 hours away
Old 07-10-2011

Quote:
So based on what you just said, it is easier to get packages through via EMS? To me I have only had issues with EMS and not DHL. As for the Cincinnati question, it depends where you live. I live in the South East, so Cincinnati is my hub. West coast I believe somewhere in Cali, maybe San Fran will be your hub. All of my DHL stuff seems to go through Cincinnati each time with no fail. Also, they open each item and repack it just to check for who knows what. The packers even left a box cutter, open, that was sent through. I'm glad I didn't cut the crap out of myself pulling the boxes out lol!
Not really sure about that. NYC does have a huge immigrant Chinese population and the amount of packages coming through JFK from China is more than most hubs in the U.S. I have heard less than 1% of packages that come through JFK are physically opened. But I'm sure they do get x-rayed and sniffed out by the dogs.
Old 07-10-2011

Longevity: 78%

I've never had packages opened when held by customs, so I am assumed just x-rayed and dog sniffed. I am in florida so all my packages go through JFK. I also get everything through EMS, never used DHL
Old 07-11-2011

Quote:
Yes. Very True. Ive got a box that was 24 kg. He put on there that it was a sample of a camera valued at $60. WTF? LOL I forget the description that my good seller puts on there, but he'll value it out at $3,500
Old 07-11-2011

Quote:

I currently have package the says "inbound into customs" just got there today.
Old 07-13-2011
Banned

Update: I had a pretty large shipment, about 20 pieces/50 lbs, get automatically rerouted by DHL to the New York City location. Usually they go right to the Cincinnati hub. Customs is already holding a small EMS shipment of mine. I have recently sent new orders to a new address under a different name. Is my address flagged now? Also, customs just released an order of mine and it made it through fine. I have no idea what is going on now.