Can paypal do this -Unauthorised transaction dispute? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 05-22-2011
Subscribed [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 78%
Default Can paypal do this -Unauthorised transaction dispute?

Good evening people,

This has me stumped, and I'm asking the brain banks here for opinions.

I have run an online retail business and one of my sales channel is ebay. I've just received a really weird email from paypal saying that a buyer who just bought the item from me from ebay was an unauthorised transaction. They DID NOT say the buyer opened the dispute, they said during their routine check up they found out that transaction might've been done without the buyer's knowledge.

This is my own business account, been running for 3-4 years, never sold any vero, I stay form all that, lol. Never had any problems with this account.

The buyer's ebay address matches paypal address. I havent sent off the good yet since it was only bought a few hours ago. I have emailed though about it, and will ring them up as well.

But I just CANNOT find any info anywhere as to why this would've happened? I really doubt the buyer is trying to scam me. I'm afraid if I just refund the paypal amount back, the buyer might get angry at me for not going ahead with the transaction and leave a dreaded Neg. I am afraid to ring paypal because I fear I might get a moron on the phone who does not know what's happening at all and restrict my account or something. From past experience, I know I cant put it past them.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-22-2011

Longevity: 75%

Email the buyer - tell him you've had a strange email from Paypal and forward it to him and ask his opinion - his response will decide your next step
Old 05-22-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

I would be cheering with delight that paypal did that. It is protection more for them but if anything goes wrong then you. I'm going to choke saying this but paypal did good

Obviously contact the buyer and proceed from there once you get more info. Fingers crossed
Old 05-22-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,342 Times in 961 Posts
Activity: 9%
Longevity: 76%

Have had this happen multiple times. Just takes a bit for them to clear it up. You did nothing wrong.

The buyer probably used an fairly inactive account and perhaps even a new credit card and it all go reversed and then frozen until they sort it out with the buyer's bank/credit card issuer.

There really isn't much you can do on your end besides wait it out and supply any information if they request it. Do not refund the buyer.
Old 05-22-2011
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 81%

Its for your protection. Something just didn't sit right with the buyer. Could be they changed address at checkout and/or signed in from an unfamiliar IP. Could be they got phished and you were the random target.

Had it happen on several occasions. Also dont refund. could be that buyer will verify info and all ok. Or they will issue refund for you. Are the transaction funds not already on hold?
Old 05-23-2011
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 78%

Thanks everyone for getting back to me

It's been over 24 hours and no email reply from buyer yet. I rang them on their ebay registered number this arvo and got no answer.

Unknown and Jersey Max, you guys make very valid points. I check their account, it's been opened since 2007, but only has one fb. So probably is an inactive one, very inactive. And paypal's already put the payment on hold. They can just give it back to the customer for all I care. But the dispute says it requires action from the seller, me, and the actions they're giving me as options are just plain BS.

It asks me to choose one of the following:

Please choose your situation:
1. Buyer picked up the goods
2. It was a service
3. It was non-physical goods

How hard can it be? It's an ebay transaction, an average normal ebay transaction. you'd think that'd be option number one. So I havent taken any action because none of them fits the situation!

I'll up you guys updated on how this pans out. Hopefully, the buyer'll sort it out with paypal and everything's good.