Update RE: Friend / Competitor trying to ruin my account. - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 03-26-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 61%
Default Update RE: Friend / Competitor trying to ruin my account.

I don't know what happened to the original post here, but it must have got too carried away and deleted. So lets try and keep this civil? I'm not worried about hurting anybody, just saving my accounts or protecting my investments.

So a friend is trying to order my products to copy and sell. What I do not know is if there is any intention of leaving negative feedback. But I suspect so because we had a deal gone bad a year ago, where I was the victim but he no longer had the opportunity to invest in my business.

Tonight I received 2 more orders for different parts in my product line, purchased from a friend of his dads. Linked them on facebook. His dad made a purchase yesterday for 2 items. Neither one of these accounts have been active for years and have 1-3 feedback. Almost all of my customers buy only one product and I have one defect in 600 transactions this year.

If he continues this behavior and they all leave negative feedback or open cases will ebay make the link and take it all down? All these accounts are registered within 30 miles and a couple of them even linked in 2 states together because they lived together obviously. If he lists exactly the same product I am selling will ebay do anything about it since it's blatant he is manipulating feedback to take me down?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-26-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,096 Times in 824 Posts
Longevity: 73%
Default Re: Update RE: Friend / Competitor trying to ruin my account.

Do you perhaps have another ebay account you can list on so that you can let this one cool off??

Take completely different pictures and write different descriptions.
Old 03-26-2015
Threadstarter  

I do, however my items are fairly distinctive so he will search and find me. And taking new pics is a huge ordeal. It takes me an hour plus for each product. I have a huge advantage in my niche because of my photography skills.
Old 03-26-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjantzer View Post
I do, however my items are fairly distinctive so he will search and find me. And taking new pics is a huge ordeal. It takes me an hour plus for each product. I have a huge advantage in my niche because of my photography skills.
1hr is nothing when you consider losing a TRS ebay account.

I personally would do anything to save an account..
Old 03-26-2015
Executive [VIP]

You also can make your buyer requirements very strict so that people with his amount of ratings find if very difficult to buy from you.
Old 03-26-2015
Threadstarter  

So are you saying that ebay won't do anything if there is a reasonable link?

I can't hide my account without selling completely different items which I am not setup to do. I have a certain industry I work in and have economies of scale etc. I'm good at what I do.
Old 03-26-2015
Threadstarter  

Requiring buyers to have 10+ positive I guess could be a good start. But if he has any friends at all, it doesn't take too many to really screw up my account.
Old 03-26-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Requiring buyers to have 10+ positive I guess could be a good start. But if he has any friends at all, it doesn't take too many to really screw up my account.
He cannot have that many friends with such feedback and requirements that would waste there time on such antics...

Make it so even the lowest feedback can only buy 1 item so that if he willing to destroy you, He will have to work for it.

Increase your prices if you have to.

Can you not block his location from buying ? ( no idea where he is of course)

Eventually he will run out of bank accounts to add to PayPal..
Old 03-26-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
First up, ebay is not known to give a toss about former friends who have fallen out.

Your immediate aim is to take all urgent steps to defend your account.

10+ feedback might be a bit high.

Take 10, and consider as many option as you can think that will hinder any damage.

Then come back & post them....

Can you let the account cool off?

Have you other items to list?

All options.

You are at battlestations now. Be ready for war.
Old 03-26-2015
Threadstarter  

I don't think the account can "cool off". My percentage of defects vs transactions won't change by sitting idle if/when he decides to leave negatives and create problems. As soon as I relist my stuff he will be on top of it. I can't hide it and still sell effectively. It's not going to just go away.

I do have cheaper items I can list a lot easier, but I would take quite a hit in income if I pull the others down. And that doesn't keep him from bidding on those either. He will find me and see what I have listed.

So I guess my steps look like this.
-block hawaii (where he and his dad reside and at least a few of his friends) DONE
-block buyers who have bought an item in the last 10 days and have feedback <5 DONE
-add as many of my cheaper / faster selling items to build sales faster
-sell some items at cost
-if I get any negatives or any more items purchased by his friends, raise prices on items he wants to buy.
-call 911
-turn myself into ebay so I close it before he does

Honestly I don't see how to avoid the wrath if he wants to hammer the account. Unless ebay will at least consider the links and protect me as a seller like they should.

I guess I sit and wait for a defect at this point. And perhaps call him if it happens and see if we can clear the air.

I would like to be able to block another state where we are from and almost all of our friends are. But I can't find that. I also can't find where you can block based only on their # of feedback.

Is there small things I can do to help like require signature confirmation on shipments and stuff like that. If they decide to send the items back for a refund and keep the parts, that's going to suck!
Old 03-26-2015

Longevity: 58%

as I said in the last thread, why are you not just canceling the transactions?
Old 03-27-2015
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb5869 View Post
as I said in the last thread, why are you not just canceling the transactions?
Because even if I cancel the transactions they can leave feedback after they have already paid.

If I cancel the transactions and they leave a negative, it looks like I provoked it. If I carry on like any other transaction, at least I have a chance of ebay looking at it like I didn't deserve it based on my past performance and the links of these accounts.

If he just wants to copy my product and leave no feedback, I'm ok with that. I would rather him think he is pulling one over on me and flying under the radar so he doesn't leave any feedback.
Old 03-27-2015

Longevity: 54%

You cant block people that have a feedback score of "X" and under. If you could, id have done it long ago. All you can do is make it to where people with less than "X" feedback can only buy 1 item from you every 10 days.
The Following User Says Thank You to wtfebay For This Useful Post:
dealagreeproceed (03-27-2015)
Old 03-27-2015
Threadstarter  

I just had 2 more orders from one of this guys' best friends. I went to school with him, but I wasn't really friends with him.

Maybe I should have one or two of my mutual friends call these people placing orders and see if they can talk them out of leaving bad feedback.

In the meantime, do I shut my auctions down and make a lot less money on another account that he will eventually find, or play it out and hope ebay makes the link?

That's 6 orders now in 2 days.
Old 03-27-2015

Longevity: 72%

Keep us posted
Old 03-27-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,342 Times in 961 Posts
Activity: 3%
Longevity: 76%

Can you not post on other platforms in order to let this rest a bit?

I have dealt with this on Cra.igsL.ist and immature competitors. They are simply immature and childish and eventually they will stop. Either they get bored or they see they aren't phasing you.

This person clearly has no life to be able bother friends and family just to harass you into submission. Dealing with psychos is a pain in the a$$, but most are simple minded. Take a break and let this person think they won and come back later. Again, there is no way this person could keep this up forever and you just have to wait it out because EB will not give a d@mn about your personal problems.
Old 03-27-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkown5454 View Post
Again, there is no way this person could keep this up forever and you just have to wait it out because EB will not give a d@mn about your personal problems.
Critical to understand ebay will NOT do a thing.

Expect no help from them.

Old 03-27-2015
Threadstarter  

So do you recommend just shutting the account down now to save it. I could only end up with 8 defects in about 700 transactions if they all leave negative. Just wait and let those clear? At what point defect rate wise does ebay limit an account?

I'm just a little afraid since I used a variation of my name that if I call in and try to get ebay to do something, they might ask for docs and/or my ex friend is able to piece it together for them.
Old 03-27-2015

I've canceled items before they were shipped and never had any recourse for it. it just asks why you want to cancel then says its going to wait on the buyers decision, however also gives you the option to immediately refund the purchase and end the transaction... never heard anything back or got bad feedback... also remember that bad feedback from a competitor is against ebays TOS. If this is a legit account have you tried calling and explaining the situation? Live chat maybe?
Old 03-27-2015

I'm the A$$hole that would probably take 30 or so stealth accounts and purchase from his main account and hold those 30 feedbacks hostage until all mine are made positive first... j/s
Old 03-27-2015
Threadstarter  

It's a stealth with an EIN attached with name variation. It was my first stealth attempt and I thought the name needed to match for bank purposes. The problem is my friend knew it was me for sure lol. But all stealth from here on out. This is $5-7k a month off the table. But I guess it will give me time to create lots of stealths! I'm definitely looking to diversify my products and also my avenues to sell.

Is there anyway to have my girlfriend call in as the business owner and say the registered name was a sales manager and no longer works here? Because I think it would go over better with a woman on the line and somebody that isn't banned and can send in paperwork. I do have invoices of course because it's a legit business.
Old 03-27-2015
Executive [VIP]

When you updated your buyer requirements settings did you tick the box near the bottom of the list that says ' apply these settings to CURRENT and future listings' ??

Are you sure he isnt creating these other accounts himself??