How do i resolve this case........ - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 07-09-2018

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 68%
Question How do i resolve this case........

I sold a laptop on ebay as MINT like BRAND NEW condition. WHich all pics were displayed on the auction, both showing it working and showing its mint condition.

Buyer had the laptop for around 25 days then decided to open a return request stating the following:

"Hi I am very disappointed with this purchase I have only turned it on three times every time that I have it has glitched with a black screen on the home screen and upon turning it on tonight it has come up with a 3F0 error code and now will not even boot up anymore I paid a lot of money and fear that this laptop is not as it seems Thus I am sorry I wish to return and claim a full refund Thanks Mark"

I googled the error he said he encountered and it comes up as a hard drive failure. Anyway... He demanded I pay return postage ( as you do on ebay ). Upon receiving the laptop back today, its in full working order. Boots up fine, just as it did without problems before I sold it to him.

So it seems he's abused the ebay return policy due to changing his mind. Thus leaving me out of pocket on shipping charges.

My second issue is the fact its now returned with a nice new scratch on the lid of this very expensive laptop. Which wasn't there before hand, pics prove it.

I spoke with ebay chat, they asked me to contact the buyer and resolve it by partially refunding him. He is standing his ground and wants the full money back.

Went back on live chat with ebay and they say i must wait till the 14th and let ebay step in to decide. By the way the return process had already expired and a full blown dispute is currently open in the resolution centre, which apparently goes against my account for not sorting it during the return process.

Where am i standing on this exactly? Total loss on shipping costs AND having to sell the laptop at a reduced price due to the scratch he made?

Last edited by J4G3D; 07-09-2018 at 10:55 AM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-09-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,282 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 60%
Default Re: How do i resolve this case........

Cost of doing business and selling this type of item online.

If ebay is involved and sides with the buyer(they will in this case) it is a defect. The worst type of defect.

IF you cant handle this, then you will not want to sell these types of items on ebay.
Old 07-09-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 2,370 Times in 1,528 Posts
Activity: 30%
Longevity: 85%

Quote:
Total loss on shipping costs AND having to sell the laptop at a reduced price due to the scratch he made?
That's the risk you take when you sell on ebay. Accept it and move on. There isn't really any advice anybody can give that is going to swing the case in your favour.
Old 07-09-2018
just_smile

Longevity: 0%

Yankee and Ebayorbust are correct, I know its not what you want to hear.
Old 07-09-2018

Longevity: 34%

Heh, snake. The error is probably the same reason why he needed a new laptop.

Best to ask for pictures. They don't NEED to upload anything, but it may help sway an observing rep to wait before forcing the return. You'd be beating around the bush though as he kinda had you by the balls.
Old 07-09-2018
Threadstarter  

So the buyer is now saying the scratch must of happened during transit with MY courier.

Firstly, there is no box damage, no packaging damage, and the laptop was inside a rugged rucksack (that i originally gave for free) which of course would be incredibly difficult to scratch a laptop through it.

So yeah, he is taking zero responsibility for it.
Old 07-09-2018
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4G3D View Post
So the buyer is now saying the scratch must of happened during transit with MY courier.

Firstly, there is no box damage, no packaging damage, and the laptop was inside a rugged rucksack (that i originally gave for free) which of course would be incredibly difficult to scratch a laptop through it.

So yeah, he is taking zero responsibility for it.
he does not care. He does not want the item and he wants his money back.

In this case, the buyer has the right to return it. It is your word against his. You loose.

You are wasting your time in this. Dont sell these item on the internet if you can not handle the losses that come as a cost of doing business.
Old 07-09-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
he does not care. He does not want the item and he wants his money back.

In this case, the buyer has the right to return it. It is your word against his. You loose.

You are wasting your time in this. Dont sell these item on the internet if you can not handle the losses that come as a cost of doing business.
Wrong, its not my word against his.

The auction displayed close up pictures of the item. There was no scratch. I have pictures before and after showing that there is a scratch on the laptop. So its not about words in this instance.

Understand your point if there were no before and after evidence in a form of a picture.
Old 07-09-2018
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Wrong, its not my word against his.

The auction displayed close up pictures of the item. There was no scratch. I have pictures before and after showing that there is a scratch on the laptop. So its not about words.
Sherlock, again, it is YOUR word against his. You said it came with a scratch. So, what? Who cares what you SAY? How does ebay know YOU did not scratch it? How does ebay know it is even the same laptop?

You loose ever time here. Buyers word againt yours.

Now I can say this, if you are upset about this and act like you are acting here, right now, ebay or sales in general are going to be very very hard.

You sold the second most challenging item to sell on ebay. I think most of us here would be surprised if you did not have a problem. no other item except cell phones is more scammed. You are lucky you even got the same computer back or functioning.
Old 07-09-2018
Executive [VIP]

I admire your faith in humanity and selling platforms.
Old 07-09-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Sherlock, again, it is YOUR word against his. You said it came with a scratch. So, what? Who cares what you SAY? How does ebay know YOU did not scratch it? How does ebay know it is even the same laptop?

You loose ever time here. Buyers word againt yours.

Now I can say this, if you are upset about this and act like you are acting here, right now, ebay or sales in general are going to be very very hard.

You sold the second most challenging item to sell on ebay. I think most of us here would be surprised if you did not have a problem. no other item except cell phones is more scammed. You are lucky you even got the same computer back or functioning.
Luckily I did a picture showing the serial number with the spec on the auction. Which of course is the same serial number from the laptop I have here.

How exactly is a buyer going to get out of that? even if ebay accept I am at fault and issue him a full refund, I have enough evidence to prove he sent me a scratched laptop back, thus devaluing it quite a bit.

Out of interest, during the return process and the resolution process, the funds are not showing as being in a negative balance on my paypal? how do i check if they're holding the funds?

Worst case for me is, I will end my 4 year old stealth by removing all the money out of the paypal and then start using my other stealth. No big deal, I only have 63 feedbacks in 4 years on it. It will teach ebay a little tiny lesson at least, since they'd have to refund the buyer.
Old 07-09-2018
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 43%

It really doesn't matter if the laptop is in perfect condition or not. It's pointless to argue this fact.

It doesn't matter what reason the buyer uses to return the item. You need to refund and be done with it. You will definitely LOSE this case if you fight it- eBay will side with the buyer and you'll end up with a defect.

I wish this wasn't the case. I've had my share of abusive buyers who I felt abused returns. Nothing I could do but accept the return and get it resolved. I would risk having a case opened against me that I would lose anyway AND possible negative FB. I don't want either.

Sounds like you sold this to an idiot buyer. Block him and move on.
Old 07-09-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thousands of similar threads to yours. This one is active right now:
https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-d...ibed-scam.html
Old 07-09-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,927 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
I admire your faith in humanity and selling platforms.
Very nice summary hah sadly
Old 07-09-2018

Should you feel the need and on the off chance he is selling it works both ways. Rocks from the driveway are a nice touch.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunspot144 For This Useful Post:
yankee (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018
Executive [VIP]

How much was the computer?
Old 07-10-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
How much was the computer?
430 GBP /570 USD.

I sold it as practically brand new with 11 months warranty with HP.

I doubt I can achieve even 300 GBP now that its looking used.
Old 07-10-2018
Threadstarter  

They've just closed the case in the buyers favour. So im guessing he called them to get it closed as they told me it will only close on the 14th.

Anyway, I've contacted ebay and they say they have reported the buyer for abusing the return procedure (getting seller to pay return postage for a defective item which isn't actually defective). They've also offered me compensation for the return postage if I can provide a invoice to proof what I paid for the return postage.
Old 07-10-2018

1. If he is selling anything up to the difference in price (130GBP) buy it, claim it Not As Described and ship him back something else that is worthless and of equal weight. I suggest using another account for making the purchase. Deny all accusations. Lesson learned.

I'll message you a second option you can do to break even with the carrier.
Old 07-11-2018
Threadstarter  

So as he's received a refund yesterday. As of today a case has been opened in paypal as follows:

The buyer reported that their order was significantly different from your original description.

The buyer disputed the charge for the following reason: Item not as described. We were notified about the dispute by the buyer's financial institution. We opened a case and contacted you for more information.

So it seems he's also contacted his credit card company?
Old 07-11-2018
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
So as he's received a refund yesterday. As of today a case has been opened in paypal as follows:

The buyer reported that their order was significantly different from your original description.

The buyer disputed the charge for the following reason: Item not as described. We were notified about the dispute by the buyer's financial institution. We opened a case and contacted you for more information.

So it seems he's also contacted his credit card company?
Yes. Paypal will win this case IF the refund was issued by ebay through paypal. IF ebay refunded through another option, then you can get a double hit. This is very rare. Seeing as he returned the actual item, my best guess is that he is pissed off more than originally scammed you.
Old 07-11-2018
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Yes. Paypal will win this case IF the refund was issued by ebay through paypal. IF ebay refunded through another option, then you can get a double hit. This is very rare. Seeing as he returned the actual item, my best guess is that he is pissed off more than originally scammed you.
Spoke with paypal just now.

He was refunded yesterday, but according to paypal it can take up to 3 days to reach his bank account. This buyer couldn't wait any longer so he called his credit card company to open a claim.

According to paypal the money will not come out of my account a second time. And they say he could now wait even longer to receive his money.

What a complete idiot.
The Following User Says Thank You to J4G3D For This Useful Post:
yankee (07-11-2018)